BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Who Let the Smoke Out!?

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Regarding luggage, I like a tank bag more than other options. It should have a good place for a map, and it puts the weight in a much better place than putting stuff behind you. Handling will suffer much more with saddle bags or especially a top case than with a tank bag. Capacity is limited and it makes filing up a little more difficult, but in my opinion it's the way to go unless you need to carry a lot.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Motorcycles: 2014 R1200GS & 2015 WR250R
Name: Rick
Yeah I added heavier ends on mine too. Just rode 100+ miles straight through today and it was really comfortable, even with the racks on. It is a pretty buzzy bike, and at a certain RPM it will definitely put your feet and hands to sleep, but there's always a comfortable RPM to ride at no matter the situation, at least for me.
I would like a top case, but I do have my gf on the back sometimes, and we will be touring 2up if she fits on the bike with the bags attached. She's coming over today to test that out, and I suspect she will. Usually we can fit everything in two side cases for the trips we go on, so I think we can do without the top case.

Tried out the RAM mount for the first time today. Used my phone as a GPS for our ride, and it stayed surprisingly put the whole time. Can't wait to get my phone charger wired in now.
lolibater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Regarding luggage, I like a tank bag more than other options. It should have a good place for a map, and it puts the weight in a much better place than putting stuff behind you. Handling will suffer much more with saddle bags or especially a top case than with a tank bag. Capacity is limited and it makes filing up a little more difficult, but in my opinion it's the way to go unless you need to carry a lot.
Yeah I usually just have a soft tail bag and tank bag when I ride to work or for shorter trips. I don't think the handling will suffer that much since I can adjust the rear preload and rebound with the Nitron sport shock. It's done a great job for 2 up riding in the past, so I'm sure it can handle the weight. Most of the stuff we will be taking is clothes, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc. All very lightweight stuff.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #19
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 21 150xcw 21 300xcw 20 Te250i 19 500excf 19fe501 12 kx100 04 bbr TTR125 01 yz125
Name: George
This thread needs more pics. How much were the lower foot pegs? I have looked into it but I am waiting until my naked ninja 650 is my commuter bike.
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #20
purposeinlife1
Anti-Nonsense

Motorcycles: Z125 Pro
Name: Garret
I rode my 09 ninja 650R on a four day 1,800 mile trip around nevada and CA. I put soft bags and a tank bag in it. I also had sports bars on it. It really worked well for me.

Last edited by purposeinlife1; 03-21-2015 at 10:26 PM..
purposeinlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #21
Antjag

Motorcycles: 07 KTM Adventure 990
Name: Tony
650 Adv

Great thread. I've been looking for more information on working up my 08 to a better sport tour / light adv ride as well.

Any pointers for side racks? The only ones I can seem to come across are the SW-Motec on Twisted Throttle. The ones you found in Canada look nice and solid.

Also, has anyone came across or recommend a tire that works nicely for commuting and dirt roads?

I'm super newbie so if I'm way off here I apologize in advance.

Last edited by Antjag; 09-20-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Antjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #22
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRyde View Post
I had a Versys, the 650r is far more fun to ride. With a few mods just as comfy as the Versys.
Please elaborate. That's contrary to what I've read elsewhere.

As someone with over 70K miles on two Versys, I've always thought the vibe complaints about the 650 motor were a little overdone, but then again, I've owned bikes that actually shake.

Here's a tip; the motor is smoother at 4K than 3K, and smoother at 5K than 4K. Let it rev. It smooths out, and it's more fun.

On the luggage front, I have always had a tankbag. Every day. I run a top case because my wife likes having a backrest, and they're better than side cases for lane splitting. When I need more luggage space, I've used Ortlieb throw-over panniers. They work great, and are truly waterproof.

Here they are on my UK bike.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #23
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: BMW R1250GS Adventure begins, mang!
Name: SweeperBot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antjag View Post
Great thread. I've been looking for more information on working up my 08 to a better sport tour / light adv ride as well.

Any pointers for side racks? The only ones I can seem to come across are the SW-Motec on Twisted Throttle. The ones you found in Canada look nice and solid.

Also, has anyone came across or recommend a tire that works nicely for commuting and dirt roads?

I'm super newbie so if I'm way off here I apologize in advance.

Here is all I'm working with so far. The picture is from a camping ride, and found this patch of light snow on a dirt trail. And yes I went down here. Ha!
OMG. Sorry, but how much weight did you have in your silver topcase, to include the weight of the topcase, that far back on your tail?? I don't have the math, but by putting any weight (anything over 5 lbs??) and anything that can provide aerodynamic drag or resistance (sidewinds, etc.) is going to seriously disrupt your bike's center of gravity (COG).
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat

"I am kind to people, but arguments are owed no mercy." Unknown savant

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 03-22-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #24
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee01 View Post
This thread needs more pics. How much were the lower foot pegs? I have looked into it but I am waiting until my naked ninja 650 is my commuter bike.
I'll have to shoot a picture when I get home.

For all you other pic posters, I envy your 2011 - bikes. Bags were so easy to mount on those ones, and exhaust was easier too. I'm happy to finally have the ability to carry hard bags though.

Last edited by lolibater; 03-23-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #25
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Looks like a member on here is willing to part ways with his V35 cases for a nice discount. I'll be picking those up this weekend. They're the kawi green though, so I'll have to paint, dip, or wrap it to black, red, or faux carbon. Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #26
FreeRyde
The Curmudgeon

Contributor +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Chubbers
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Please elaborate. That's contrary to what I've read elsewhere.
The few 650r's I've ridden had a bit more punch than the Versys. Slap a set of renthals on there and it is mucho comfy. (For guys my size )

But the Versys will always have a place in my heart.
Unsympathetic Dick
FreeRyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #27
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
I would expect the suspension on the Versys to work a bit better, I know they're upside down and I think I remember one being undamped and the other a cartridge... still probably better than the damping rod forks on the other versions.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
Can you tell me more about that rear shock?
Price, where you got it, what kind of difference it's made?

Also, because pic thread:

A pair of yellow dry bags from REI and some compression straps made for a lightweight, sharp looking weekender. Kept the torrential rain off our sleeping bags too.

Last edited by SFSV650; 03-27-2015 at 05:00 PM..
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #29
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Yeah I'll shot some pics and post suspension details when I get home tomorrow. I'll have to adjust it for the bags anyways.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #30
lolibater
BARG (FB) @dmin

Nitron Sport Shock. Has rebound adjustment and preload. Just cranked it up a full turn to compensate for the bags. Ordered directly through Catalyst Reaction. I think they got it from Nitron UK, but there is now a Nitron USA location in Ohio I think, which makes the pricing way better now.

Seeing how wide the new bags are.

Side view w/o covers.

Before plasti dip.

During plasti dip. Should be dry by 3pm. Then I'll reassemble and shoot better pics.

Used carbon fiber vinyl to cover the Versys logos.

Last edited by lolibater; 03-29-2015 at 09:59 AM..