Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Personally, I think that the decision was more pragmatic and scientific that the people who are going to get vaccinated, have gotten vaccinated, the rest are a case of diminishing returns because they're either too fucking selfish or eating up too much misinformation to do the right thing for the nation.
This is what I have been saying. It's available, more or less, for all that want it. Sure, we will put some immunocompromised people at risk but not sure how to protect 100% of everyone. There will be a percent of the population that will intentionally not get the vaccine and they put themselves at risk. I am concerned about "breakthrough" virus but I guess we just return to a SIP state we previously were.

This concept of returning to what it used to be is maddening to me. We're seeing wildlife start to return and flourish, we're seeing significant reductions in greenhouse gases and the like... but nah, fuck it because we all need to be in the office like good little corporate soldiers. I heard one of our SWEs complain that they may have to come in more then other departments so they can collaborate better. Pay me an engineers rate and I'll gladly come in 5 days a week. In the Navy, we said "pick your rate, pick your fate"... same applies. You chose your job, live with it. I didn't hear you complain about the grocery store clerks having to go in during a pandemic, did I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJ View Post
Kind of crazy to call the end of the Covid forum when it is far far far from over in a global sense, which, of course, could have dire implications for even those fortunate/selfish wealthy Countries trying like hell to breathe a sigh of relief and pretend it's "over."
I don't know. This forum was very specific to the US if only because that's the member base. Keeping it alive to discuss what's going on in India is a bit weird imho. I think it would be premature to move it now or in the next couple of months but I think engagement should dictate that and not how we feel.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #17
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post

I don't know. This forum was very specific to the US if only because that's the member base. Keeping it alive to discuss what's going on in India is a bit weird imho. I think it would be premature to move it now or in the next couple of months but I think engagement should dictate that and not how we feel.
Last I heard US Citizens were allowed to fly to and from India and Brazil.

The Country still has not achieved 50 percent vaccination rates.

The Fat Lady won't be singing for a while yet in the US methinks.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #18
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:

No. Because singing is a very effective transmission route, and being fat increases the odds of complications leading to death.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #19
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:

But the disinformation isn't there anymore. That's kinda why this was started. A few of us were tired of the media spin on things and just started reporting facts, as unbiased as possible. (At least I was and I feel a few others were). I think we're far enough along and outside of some sensationalism in the media, the truth is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
No. Because singing is a very effective transmission route, and being fat increases the odds of complications leading to death.
touche
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
But the disinformation isn't there anymore. That's kinda why this was started. A few of us were tired of the media spin on things and just started reporting facts, as unbiased as possible. (At least I was and I feel a few others were). I think we're far enough along and outside of some sensationalism in the media, the truth is out there.

touche
I think the value, going forward, will be getting informed information about variants.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:

Someone will start a KS thread I'm sure or move an existing one there as promised.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
tuxumino
purrfect

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
nature bats last. I think a lot of people are thinking that covid is understood and there are no more surprises but I think there may be a curveball or two still left in the pitch assortment.

Communities that won't vaccinate and variants still hold the possibility of outbreaks. An outbreak of a variant that is less resistant to the current vaccines could lead to new restrictions.
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce
tuxumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #23
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
I am already seeing a lot of no masks.

People inside a bar with no masks and not separated at all.
Some I know did not get vaccinated.

The low bar of humanity may extend this. May
1Rider introduction on KFOG
Bone heads and bikers podcasts
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Godspeed Mom Pit Ho Godspeed Nicky #69 Hoho
AMA #203453
Need a BARF sticker or other stuff..PM me.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #24
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

I think we're going to see a resurgence of covid among the anti-vaxxers next fall. They probably won't understand why it's happening.

Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I was thinking we might find out in a bad way when the vaccine has worn off and/or some new variant plays in.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #26
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

We can't rule out that possibility.

Hopefully the vaccine proves to be effective against all variants. There probably will be a requirement for a booster shot after a year, but that may be sufficient for years.

Personally, I'd like to see the covid vaccine added to the flu shot. I'm not sure that Big Pharma will want to limit their profits with such a move.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #27
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
I think we're going to see a resurgence of covid among the anti-vaxxers next fall. They probably won't understand why it's happening.
States to keep an eye on.

Quote:
The average daily pace of US coronavirus vaccinations is down almost 50% from its April peak.

This could spell trouble for states like Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Wyoming, Idaho, Georgia and Tennessee, which have the lowest vaccine rates per capita.

The concern is that clusters of new outbreaks could pepper underprotected areas over the summer.

Some states are getting creative in their bid to increase vaccine rates. New York, Maryland and Ohio are all giving away millions of dollars in vaccine "lotteries" available to those who get a shot.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
DucatiHoney

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Uh....it's a scooter. But in red, the fastest color.
Name: Heather
Quote:
States to keep an eye on.
As of today's "trend" map from Johns Hopkins, cases are on the rise here:

Mississippi, Alabama, Idaho, Louisiana, Arkansas, Wyoming, Idaho.

Georgia and Tennessee are the only two states that are currently not on the rise from your list. (Georgia is on the decline, and Tennessee is pretty flat or a very gentle decline)

The places not on your list that are also on the rise are Delaware (one of the worst states in the nation, along with Wyoming), Kentucky, and New Mexico.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #29
mlm
Contrarian

AMA#: 874813
Contributor ++++++++ BB

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: OG
I fully expect there will be uptrends, but doubt it will matter. The most vulnerable have been vaccinated and deniers are too vested in their position this is just another cold or flu. It'll be interesting what we find regarding long term side effects, but even then I doubt it could overcome ideology.

I also found it interesting that WY has one of the lowest death/million rates. I doubt it is an accurate number and wonder if it is due to how they count or the fact anyone getting really sick is probably medivac'd to Denver or SLC

Last edited by mlm; 05-21-2021 at 01:50 PM..
mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #30
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Important COVID Chart.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	543903  

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote