Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2019 Indian FTR1200
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
With more than 10,000 FCEVs on the road doesn't seem like a joke

https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/cali...of-may-1-2021/
And by the turn of the century the U.S. had ~33k electric vehicles on the road. It only took another 107 years for them to return.

The U.S. has 286.9 million vehicles registered...

Yes, 10,000 is a joke. The majority of those being Toyota Mirai, with almost 6,200 sold in the U.S.

I'm not anti-hydrogen. I just don't see it taking over the personal transport sector anytime soon. I think fleets/semi's/buses are great. Especially if the sources of the hydrogen are clean.

Last edited by MikeL; 05-17-2021 at 02:06 PM..
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #1232
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA Honda 919 DR350
Name:
It's too much of an undertaking building hydrogen fueling stations plus the cost of hydrogen. I also am not against the tech, i just dont ever see it being viable for the masses.

The charging stations for EV's just need to be hooked up to the lines. installation is fairly straightforward and can be installed in most areas.

installing a hydrogen refueling station is a PITA, a larger undertaking and then you have this waste of space for 2-3 cars a day on a busy day? Then it has to get inspections periodically. no one wants that shit.

Charging stations are getting cheaper and cheaper and can allow businesses to generate passive income. for a much lower investment. not to mention you can install your own damn station at home.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #1233
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Hydrogen is really expensive to make. I'm pretty sure it's significantly more than gasoline.

The issue with charging infrastructure is fast charging. Those stations aren't that easy to build and you need a good amount of electrical grid infrastructure to support them.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #1234
novaks47
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
Hydrogen cars have been for sale since when, 2015? Six years, and only 10k units have moved(most are probably leased to top it off)? I'm amazed anyone even bothers to produce them at this point. Toyota must own, or have lots of shares in a hydrogen producer to cling to it this long, lol. If that were a single gas model, it would have been discontinued three years ago. EV's are a tough enough sell, good luck getting the masses interested in hydrogen.
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #1235
MotoMan91
Banned

Motorcycles: Gsxr
Name:
One day but not soon
MotoMan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #1236
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaks47 View Post
Hydrogen cars have been for sale since when, 2015? Six years, and only 10k units have moved(most are probably leased to top it off)? I'm amazed anyone even bothers to produce them at this point. Toyota must own, or have lots of shares in a hydrogen producer to cling to it this long, lol. If that were a single gas model, it would have been discontinued three years ago. EV's are a tough enough sell, good luck getting the masses interested in hydrogen.
Well a lot of the world is invested in hydrogen, in the US it's really only the country of California investing in it. Supposedly it has many other applications other than automobiles like powering ships and heavy equipment. But yeah there is the problem is grey hydrogen or dirty hydrogen where the power to produce it comes from dirty sources like coal power. Then there's green hydrogen where renewable energy is used to produce it. The tech is there but the infrastructure is not. I think a lot of Asian countries are betting on hydrogen. So I think no matter what there will be advances for hydrogen and we already have the infrastructure in California. I think in Japan they have a whole city that is powered by hydrogen.

There was some talk about being able to fill up your hydrogen vehicle at home using natural gas to make the hydrogen also. But I guess the purity of the hydrogen would come into question. But yeah that would be grey hydrogen.

Something I would really like is a hydrogen fuel cell generator. That way you can make power like a gas generator but not noise or pollution. That would be something I would be interested in especially for camping. Then you can drink the water coming out of it too haha. But if you can have something like that and fill up something like a propane tank but with hydrogen I would like that.

When fuel cell tech is more readily available I would like to do a lot of DIY stuff with it like build a motorcycle or generator. I know Toyota is making their fuel cell stacks available for stuff like that.

The way I see it is I don't think hydrogen will go away but it will be used in tandem with battery electric technology/vehicles. One thing that hydrogen is good for is apartment dwellers that don't have access to chargers.

I heard that you could build a self contained hydrogen station where it would have a solar array and it would make hydrogen but I don't know how far along they are with that tech. I did a lot of research on renewable energy when I was in college but that was a while ago.

Also I would think hydrogen fuel cell would be good for racing applications. The current problem with electric motorcycles is the battery get's hot. My Empulse had a watercooled more so the motor stayed cool but the battery would just get hotter and hotter as you charge and discharge it heavily. When it get's too hot you will get thermal cutback and loose regen. With a hydrogen fuel cell I don't think you would have that problem you could just exchange the tank out for another one. Hydrogen fuel cells have very small batteries onboard I guess to smoothen out the flow of energy kind of like a capacitor.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-18-2021 at 02:09 PM..
HadesOmega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:45 AM   #1237
novaks47
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking hydrogen, or any other tech for that matter. Heck, I love electric, and I think hydrogen could turn out to be a great alternative. But I'm focused more on adoption, and I just don't see the masses going for it. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Just look at all the FUD that still sticks to EVs. I don't even want to know what nonsense/myths that the masses will come up with for hydrogen cars. Remember, the masses don't care about all the technical details and benefits that we do. I do think hydrogen has a better chance of mass adoption at least, with a slight edge over EVs. At least the Mirai is on point for specs, long range, very good mileage, and no longer looks like a Prius made even uglier. More cars like that, and it just might catch on.
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #1238
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Toyota is going to be racing with a hydrogen ICE powered corolla in an endurance race this month. It has a 3 cylinder turbocharged engine. Would be interesting to see how they do, curious why they didn't use a FCEV instead. Toyota likes to try different things I guess. I'm not a big fan of hydrogen combustion engine though they don't seem efficient but if there were a lot of hydrogen it is much cleaner combustion than gasoline. Supposedly it's not efficient, but I guess Toyota is out to prove that it is by racing in an endurance race with it. So there might be hope for the internal combustion engine yet.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...n-at-fuji.html

youtu.be/2dgzKW8EKMc

Also remember the Segway Ninebot Apex? Well they're making the Apex H2! It can go like 93mph, 0-60 in 4 seconds, and makes like 80HP. Supposedly it will be around $10,000 also. It has removable hydrogen canisters also like a BBQ grill on wheels =P Will be interesting when we get to see the actual bike.

https://electrek.co/2021/04/07/segwa...ic-motorcycle/

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-19-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Old 05-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #1239
MrMarkK

Motorcycles: RC51 SurRon 2019 Cake Kalk& In the past: Yamaha DT125 Penton 125 Bultaco 250 Pursang Maico 250
Name:
My Zero DSR Web Bike World Review

I recently had the review of my Zero DSR published on Web Bike World.

I have also built a site to help other owners of a DSR.
MrMarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #1240
sk8norcal
Veteran

Motorcycles: CRF250L
Name: Henry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarkK View Post
I recently had the review of my Zero DSR published on Web Bike World.
Great write-up !

I like your analogy of the glider. Having done hangliding and being in a Cessna, two very different experience.

On the topic of automatics, I did own a Tmax maxi scooter, that's probably the closest experience to an electric for an ICE 2 wheeler, super smooth twin due to the dummy piston counterweight, CVT transmission, and enclosed chain drive. (the new ones have belt drive) Very popular in Europe and Asia, here even long time riders have no idea what it is.

Anyways, I recommend checking out the dirt roads in the Santa Cruz mountains south of 17, I have seen a Zero up there.
sk8norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #1241
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1999/06 Frankenbike R1 - sold 2003 Caponord ETV - sold 2017 R1M - sold 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Toyota is going to be racing with a hydrogen ICE powered corolla in an endurance race this month. It has a 3 cylinder turbocharged engine. Would be interesting to see how they do, curious why they didn't use a FCEV instead. Toyota likes to try different things I guess. I'm not a big fan of hydrogen combustion engine though they don't seem efficient but if there were a lot of hydrogen it is much cleaner combustion than gasoline. Supposedly it's not efficient, but I guess Toyota is out to prove that it is by racing in an endurance race with it. So there might be hope for the internal combustion engine yet.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...n-at-fuji.html

youtu.be/2dgzKW8EKMc

Also remember the Segway Ninebot Apex? Well they're making the Apex H2! It can go like 93mph, 0-60 in 4 seconds, and makes like 80HP. Supposedly it will be around $10,000 also. It has removable hydrogen canisters also like a BBQ grill on wheels =P Will be interesting when we get to see the actual bike.

https://electrek.co/2021/04/07/segwa...ic-motorcycle/

LOL it only took Segway two decades to figure out that two wheels side by side was an answer to a question that nobody was asking. I saw the prototype of the original Segway at a private event in the UAE and made myself quite unpopular falling about about laughing at it. I honestly thought its was joke, just a PR stunt.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

Last edited by OldMadBrit; 05-20-2021 at 02:39 PM..
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #1242
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMadBrit View Post
LOL it only took Segway two decades to figure out that two wheels side by side was an answer to a question that nobody was asking. I saw the prototype of the original Segway at a private event in the UAE and made myself quite unpopular falling about about laughing at it. I honestly thought its was joke, just a PR stunt.
I think Segway was mostly a failure and the current Segway is actually Ninebot, a Chinese company, that bought the assets and brand of the original Segway.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #1243
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Yeah only time will tell least they have the Sur Ron Light Bee errr Segway X260/160.

Saw this about the White Ghost today looks like it's coming along nicely. Not the highest spec bike but if the price is right I think it would sell.

https://electricmotorcycles.news/vog...cture-gallery/

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-20-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Old 05-21-2021, 06:24 AM   #1244
UDRider
FLCL?

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
That looks like a fun bike.

FFRF fighting for our rights not to live under religious government, and Christian nationalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:43 AM   #1245
OldMadBrit
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1999/06 Frankenbike R1 - sold 2003 Caponord ETV - sold 2017 R1M - sold 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
I think Segway was mostly a failure and the current Segway is actually Ninebot, a Chinese company, that bought the assets and brand of the original Segway.
Yes I was aware of that. The downside is that the stink from the original came with the assets.

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote