BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
Most of the advice in this thread can help a rider become safer on the street. None of it is a sole solution.

Doing certain drills in a parking lot will increase those maneuverability skills. Time on a race track can allow the rider to learn how to optimize traction, develop visual skills and learn that the limits are higher than they usually need to be during legal street riding. None of those environments are the street, but they do support developing relevant skills in isolation.

As I have more experience in track based training than other venues, I'll add this: Becoming a skilled track rider doesn't always equate to becoming a safer street rider. It absolutely can, if safety is a priority for the rider. Some riders are adrenaline junkies though. Adrenaline production is a physiological response to danger and fear. If I help an adrenaline junkie become more proficient, he'st still an adrenaline junkie and will now have to do crazier shit on the street to self stimulate.

If safety is your goal, absolutely work on physical skills. They increase the envelope and make you more comfortable in situations that require drastic inputs. But work on your judgement too. Cultivate keen situational awareness. Consider the implications of blind turns. Anticipate what other drivers may want to do. That stuff isn't as sexy as a track day, but is critical to your safety.
Well said, tzrider.
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote