Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #31
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
why not?
Because the vehicle code says you can’t.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #32
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction sure sounds like any lane except oncoming traffic to me
Try it and see who they find at fault if you don’t believe me.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #33
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I agree, I'm just trying to figure out why the vehicle code says something as absurd as that
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #34
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
I also get pissed at those drivers who do turn right on red and cut me off when I have the green light. If a vehicle is approaching, or turning left, stay put at your red light. You have to remain stopped until clear.
Here's something I've pondered over every so often: driver A is making a right turn onto a street with 2 or more lanes of traffic in his direction; driver B is coming from the opposite direction, making a left turn onto the same roadway as driver A. Now, the CVC says driver A MUST end his turn in the lane closest to the curb, and driver B MAY end his turn in any lane that can be done safely. It seems to me that since driver A is taking possession of the right hand lane then driver B cannot turn into that lane, but must limit himself to the #1 lane.

To complicate it further, if the intersection is controlled by lights it's most likely that driver A would be facing a red light, while driver B has a green left turn arrow so driver B would have right-of-way to end up in any lane he wants. But maybe it's an unprotected left turn so both drivers have a green light - in that case who has right-of-way?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #35
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Here's something I've pondered over every so often: driver A is making a right turn onto a street with 2 or more lanes of traffic in his direction; driver B is coming from the opposite direction, making a left turn onto the same roadway as driver A. Now, the CVC says driver A MUST end his turn in the lane closest to the curb, and driver B MAY end his turn in any lane that can be done safely. It seems to me that since driver A is taking possession of the right hand lane then driver B cannot turn into that lane, but must limit himself to the #1 lane.

To complicate it further, if the intersection is controlled by lights it's most likely that driver A would be facing a red light, while driver B has a green left turn arrow so driver B would have right-of-way to end up in any lane he wants. But maybe it's an unprotected left turn so both drivers have a green light - in that case who has right-of-way?
Those are (obviously) different scenarios. If both drivers have the green light, the turning driver needs to yield. If the turning driver has a green arrow, it has the right of way, and the right turner at the red light must yield.

Often times, in both scenarios, I'll see both vehicles make their respective turns. This will work, without resulting in a collision, so long as the left turner stays in a lane to the left and the right turner stays in the rightmost lane. Obviously, that doesn't always happen, so it's risky.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "

Last edited by bojangle; 02-19-2019 at 03:28 PM..
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote