Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
EBD fundraiser

Well to add to all the other medical problems I have, there's a new one that's really a bugger. Hoping maybe there's a "saw-bone"/bone doc among you all?

Fall last year, was wrestling around w/the kids (BIG late teens), I managed to get a spiral break of the right side hand bone (underneath pinkie.) During the time in the cast, the ring finger started acting up. Upon finally getting the cast off, the break was healed, but now the ring finger (& pinkie) will not go thru it's range of motion. Something it get's "caught" (ligament?) & it spikes pain & will not move any further. I can no longer create a "fist" or grip anything like a handlebar.

Because of this, I can no longer grip the right bar, move throttle, or use the front brake. Bingo, no more riding. I'm about to go back to the ortho doc who wasn't much help last time (already addressed this problem once.) Problem is he want's me to do physical therapy 3 days a week, w/a $30 deductible each time I visit (+gas, expenses.) Being on SSDI, I'm on fixed LOW income, & I can't afford the therapy, period. Just plain don't have the bux to pay him for the co-pay...

Anyone have a suggestion? I'd rather not lose the use of my favored right hand- which is the direction it's heading. Getting hard to type too; luckily the thumb & index finger is ok but it's starting to get really bad for the other 3 fingies. Help!

-ebd

Last edited by carries an axe; 03-02-2012 at 04:38 PM..
EastBayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
jc2ducati
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2007 Ducati M695 (sold)
Name: Jay
Well, here is my story. No doc here, but I broke my 4th metatarsal or ring finger hand bone a few years ago. I have broken my arm a couple times and my clavicle, but this was by far the most painful recovery. There are a lot of ligaments in the hand which scar easily. Scarred tissue limits motion and is also painful. PT helps to break down scar tissue and help promote healing. I think the hand and wrist docs make their profit on PT, as it sure seemed like easy work to rub my hand around for 15 mins for what they were charging. However, it was absolutely necessary for recovery, otherwise, like you said, i had no range of motion on my hand, wrist or fingers. The therapist would heat up the hand, and slowly force movement in the wrist, hand and all fingers. It was VERY painful! I doubt I could have done the exercises on my own, as it would have been way too painful.

Having said all that, I would highly recommend seeing the PT at least a couple of times to see what exercises they recommend. Maybe after a couple of those sessions, you could continue the exercises on your own. You would have to be dedicated about it on your own or with a significant other's help.

My 2c worth!

Last edited by jc2ducati; 01-25-2012 at 10:28 AM..
jc2ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
EjGlows
Veteran

BARFie winner 2014
Contributor +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++

Motorcycles: Austrian Nymph
Name: Erin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2ducati View Post
Well, here is my story. No doc here, but I broke my 4th metatarsal or ring finger hand bone a few years ago. I have broken my arm a couple times and my clavicle, but this was by far the most painful recovery. There are a lot of ligaments in the hand which scar easily. Scarred tissue limits motion and is also painful. PT helps to break down scar tissue and help promote healing. I think the hand and wrist docs make their profit on PT, as it sure seemed like easy work to rub my hand around for 15 mins for what they were charging. However, it was absolutely necessary for recovery, otherwise, like you said, i had no range of motion on my hand, wrist or fingers. The therapist would heat up the hand, and slowly force movement in the wrist, hand and all fingers. It was VERY painful! I doubt I could have done the exercises on my own, as it would have been way too painful.

Having said all that, I would highly recommend seeing the PT at least a couple of times to see what exercises they recommend. Maybe after a couple of those sessions, you could continue the exercises on your own. You would have to be dedicated about it on your own or with a significant other's help.

My 2c worth!
+1! I shattered/dislocated my thumb and only asked for a single PT session to learn how I could do my own PT at home. With enough courage and perseverance you can do it. The family support is big too. Get a bag of rice, empty half of it, and submerge half your hand into the bag. Squeeze, release, squeeze, wiggle, repeat. Flexibility will come back and add some Advil in the mix too.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
sv2007
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Majesty YP400
Name:
I broken my pinky a while and was referred to PT after the cast came off. I went to only 1 PT session and realized that it is something I can do at home easier. Doing the PT at home was also promoted by the PT, and they gave me a small booklet with pictures on exercises that I was supposed to do.

Your injury is different than mine, but I'm wondering if you are also able to do what PT does at home. Then perhaps go to PT only once in a while (if you feel the need) ?
sv2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
DucatiHoney
Ride only user

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Broken hands are a bummer. When I broke my thumb I had strength issues and it took a little while to come back. It's still not quite right, but I never went to physical therapy either. It was expensive and my insurance at the time didn't cover it. What I did do was look online and there was tons of info about exercises and I started doing them faithfully. It took maybe a week and I noticed a positive difference.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Thanks for the input folks. I've got the exercises from PT (did go once), & try to do them several times a day. My problem is when I make a "fist," something in the ring finger's 1st knuckle "clicks" & it get's "caught" there.

When I release the fist, the ring finger sticks (like somethings blocking it), & I have to force it to get it to move/release further. It then goes "POP!" & painfully releases, & feels like it goes back into place. I think a ligament is getting stuck in the joint, or the joint is dislocating, then popping back into where it's supposed to be.

Each & every time it's hella painful, & I gotta force it past the spot where it gets stuck. I really need to go back for x-rays or something, as the exercises thus far, are not making it. I just can't afford to pay this guy the funds he's demanding, that's how I got in this mess...grrr...

-ebd
Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Name: Paul
Damn dude... harsh! When I had my ordeal one of the best things that worked for me was when I was in rehab they had my SO involved as much as she could be. They showed her all the different things she could and would need to do to aid my healing.

Luckily, while your hand isn't as extensive, it's just as important to have a dominant hand and I KNOW it is more complex than a pelvis and a hip.. Maybe when you go someone could go with you and get tips/tricks on what they can do to help at home?

Honestly, I don't think my recovery would have been anywhere near successful if my SO hadn't been pretty religious about making me to my PT from the day I was allowed to start.

Just a thought on what might help. I would hope that therapists understand what it's like to be financially strapped for $
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Learn why wearing gear is so important, check out my story here.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
I don't think you should feel funny getting some help. It's what community is for and the giving is totally voluntary. Let us help, we want to!!!
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcootz View Post
I don't think you should feel funny getting some help. It's what community is for and the giving is totally voluntary. Let us help, we want to!!!
Well, until force-ably retired due to injury a couple years back, I had been steadily employed since the age of 14 up until the age of 53 (I started in Dads auto repair shop.) But since the big head injury & strokes, I had to retire as just can't work anymore. I've lost both short & long-term memory, plus the ability to do complex tasks. Something I used to be good ad. Sux!

I've always supported myself & family that whole 40+ years. I've only accepted charity a couple times during that entire time, & that was only just recently. I felt very weird accepting monies from others, as like I say always worked my butt off to make my own way. Now that's changed...(sigh)...If you know what I mean...?

In the last few years the ZRXOA (ZRX Owners Association) has done 2 raffle's in my benefit. Both times sucessful. 1st time was to help me get back on my feet just after the injuries, & astonishingly they raised $3.3K back in ~07' right about Christmas. Saved me from losing the house+ a great number of things.

Last fall, they had a get-together for Gear (I gained 20lbs & no longer fit my leathers), & got me 2 complete textile cold-weather riding suits. Whoa! I'm just extremely grateful that someone would be nice enough to do these things, & I had a very hard time w/the 1st one as I couldn't believe a bunch of internet buds would do that for a stranger. Still astonished, but yes it did happen.

So, I donno- guess any help would be greatly appreciated. Still feel weird tho as I was so used to supporting me & the family myself. What I really need to do is have a "wrenchday" (or similar) someplace so I can get some help w/the bike as it needs a bunch of TLC; some of it scheduled maintenance, some of it repairs. Thanks to the new hand injury, it's been hard to turn a wrench, & I been too depressed to look at it. Thus I haven't ridden since July or something like that...

-ebd
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
Smile

get a squeeze ball. kinda like a tennis ball but smaller and not round it has a jell of some sort in it and the outer skin looks like a colored balloon.
it is for improving the mussels in the hand, can not hurt.....
....except for the pain.

get into pt if you can. and burch to the Dr about this, get a mri if you can.

30+ years back my left leg was in a cast for 14 months (let out to get fitted for a leg brace) then a year in that. but now the foot (ankle) can not rotate up correctly..can be hard to shift at times with out lifting the leg to do the ankles job.

sad but broken parts do not always mend up right.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Ok, I'm not too concerned about people getting my addy & stealing/whatever as we got nothing worth stealing really. All our stuff is old/out of date. Even the bike is 10 years old.

So, here you go/it's exactly as you see it:

Dave Wright
17451 Via Carmen
San Lorenzo, CA

If anyone wants the phone number or e-mail addy PM please.

Thanks!

-ebd
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
Ok, I'm not too concerned about people getting my addy & stealing/whatever as we got nothing worth stealing really. All our stuff is old/out of date. Even the bike is 10 years old.

So, here you go/it's exactly as you see it:

Dave Wright
17451 Via Carmen
San Lorenzo, CA

If anyone wants the phone number or e-mail addy PM please.

Thanks!

-ebd
: thumbup

Thanks EBD.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
EBD happy to do what I can.

Do you need help getting the bike in order, PT, making a mortgage payment?
Paypal address?

It feels good to be able to do something, regardless of how small, it all adds up!!!

Push pride aside! What can we do?

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hornet View Post
EBD happy to do what I can.

Do you need help getting the bike in order, PT, making a mortgage payment?
Paypal address? It feels good to be able to do something, regardless of how small, it all adds up!!! Push pride aside! What can we do?
Well there's one big problem. PayPal (Ebay owned) had a problem w/that 1st raffle & wouldn't release the funds pouring in for me. I guess I shouldn't have said "benefit raffle" on what kind of transaction it was. Big mistake.

They claimed it was some kind of fraudulent transaction & would have to be investigated before releasing the funds to me. Despite dozens of calls/emails from myself & the raffle organizers from across North America, after 90 days of fighting them the funds were still w/PayPoop & they refused to budge.

I finally hit the roof extremely miffed, & called "KTVU" explaining my problem to a reporter. I suggested showing up 1st thing 8AM on a Monday morning on Ebays doorsteps w/cameras & protest signs to explain my situation to a live TV audience. A great way to greet arriving CEO's/Ebay Corporate's, etc. I also suggested litigation was in progress; I forwarded this info to Ebay/pp.

After that conversation, they immediately released the funds, with the caveat being neither I or any of my family ever do business with either Ebay or PayPoop again. I said fine & they released the funds. Now I can't use them for anything anymore so any funding would have to be done outside of that organization.

Maybe someone would have to take care of that for me I guess?

As far as where the money would go, I have my wifie do all the finances these days (as I get confused), but we are way behind on everything/mortage payment/maxed out credit cards, need to get to doc/ortho surgeon/etc.

The bike needs a front tire (existing one has tread, but it's 9 years old & feels weird), & possibly fix a warped disk. It's possible it might just need a good bleeding which I don't have a "Mighty Vac" or anything like that. The clutch needs bleeding too; it got all stainless lines (Spiegler) just before I got it, but thinking previous owner didn't bleed things right as have problems w/both clutch & brakes.

Bike is all stock except the ss lines. The suspension is way out in left field. I tried adjusting it but made it worse; I just don't recall how to do this. The bugger is I was pretty good at that back when I was racing, I just can't figger it out nowadays...

hope I answered all q's...

-ebd
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I can donate for a raffle:
1 DMV transaction (winner pays fees, I do the legwork-this could be an awesome prize for someone attempting to get a salvage title)

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote