Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
since we're getting into less normal situations... https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7958...thumbfov%3D100 do you ever have to stop before turning left, if it's clear?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
I would great that like a right on a red. Stop, yield to traffic that may present a hazard, and then complete your turn.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I would great that like a right on a red. Stop, yield to traffic that may present a hazard, and then complete your turn.
Doesn't the yield sign mean that you don't have to actually stop, as long as you can verify that you can turn safely?
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Doesn't the yield sign mean that you don't have to actually stop, as long as you can verify that you can turn safely?
Correct. From the angle I originally viewed the intersection, I thought the Yield sign was facing a different direction. I backed down the street and saw that it’s addressing the left turn lane.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #20
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
I was in the wrong lane there, can I still turn left after the triangle divider thingy?
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #21
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

that intersection sees a *lot* of shitty driving

I regularly see people coming in the opposite direction do U turns on red only place I remember seeing that

you also get a lot of people using far right/left lanes and then merging at the last second to go straight
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
Eric in Davis
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: '15 YZ250F, FZR400 retired race bike
Name:
Can I add another right-turn question?

There is a dangerous move I see drivers do to cut in front of backed up traffic turning onto Lawrence Expressway in Santa Clara (from Monroe St). There is a right-turn only lane. Then to the left of that is a bicycle lane. Then to the left of that are two lanes. They aren't painted with a straight-only arrow, but I assume it is only legal to go straight in those lanes. Some drivers turn right from the lane to the left of the bicycle lane -- marked with a green arrow in the pic (thereby cutting in front of dozens of cars backed up in the right-turn only lane).

Is that legal? Sure seems dangerous, and the only drivers I see doing it *are* generally speeding and driving without much regard for bicycle/pedestrian safety.

I always look out for jerks that may kill me when I'm in that bicycle lane (on a bicycle). That dangerous maneuver also has a high risk of killing a pedestrian someday. With that line of backed up cars in right-turn only lane, when the light turns green the front car sometimes has to wait to let a pedestrian go across Lawrence Expressway. But if jerkoff charges down the lane to the left of the bike lane and then suddenly hooks a sharp right-turn, they'll be blind to the pedestrian legally crossing in the crosswalk that they're about to hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Legal.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	517622  

Last edited by Eric in Davis; 02-19-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Eric in Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Unlawful:

§ 22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as follows:
(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(2) If a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in this subdivision and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
(3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning movement.
(b) Left Turns. The approach for a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left-hand edge of the extreme left-hand lane or portion of the roadway lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle and, when turning at an intersection, the left turn shall not be made before entering the intersection. After entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered, except that upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #24
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

3b makes it sound like the driver in the middle lane gets to pick what lane they turn into, and the driver in the left lane has to yield or am I reading that wrong?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
Eric in Davis
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: '15 YZ250F, FZR400 retired race bike
Name:
Thanks, Nick. I'm happy to know that when I see moto-LEO's occasionally doing enforcement at the intersection, that the offenders are likely getting expensive tickets. That sh*t is super dangerous and I hope the offenders feel the pain of a huge ticket. (There are lots of different types of violations at that busy intersection, so I'm not sure who gets pulled over)

Quote:
terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions
That's for a "T" intersection, which is common and makes perfect sense. (I think) Edit again -- you're reading that wrong: of course the driver making a left turn has to yield to any traffic in the lane it is turning into.

Last edited by Eric in Davis; 02-19-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Eric in Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #26
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Eric, lets say it's a 3 lane per direction that Ts into a 2 lane per direction

IMO the middle lane of the 3 should be able to turn in either direction, but should be required to end up in the far lane. 3b states that they can turn into any lane, which makes me think that the left most lane has to yield to them.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Again.... you’re overthinking it. The “available” lane is the #2 lane since the driver is starting the turn from the #2 left turn lane.

From the CA Driver’s Handbook:

Last edited by Nick; 02-19-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #28
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn left into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction sure sounds like any lane except oncoming traffic to me
Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
I was in the wrong lane there, can I still turn left after the triangle divider thingy?
No. Not legally.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
why not? I mean, is it like turning left from the right lane?

I'll have to remember about the red arrow bit. A few days ago I was in the second lane right and nobody was going. I looked for signage and proceeded to go as it was clear. I specifically do not recall if there was a red arrow or not.

Last edited by ctwo; 02-19-2019 at 01:58 PM..
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote