Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Daks
Jersey Devil

Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX aka Zero
Name: ...Daks
To the "cover the tattoos" people: He's wearing glasses, and that worked for OJ, so I think it'll be fine.

@OP: Thanks for doing this for the community. In a way I think it coming from a "biker" looking guy still comes off better than if they stuck a power-ranger lookin' street stunter kid up there to talk about how sweet lane splittin at 80 is.

You look down to earth. You look like a neighbor, a good guy and have a kind face and smile.

It'll be received fine.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
To the "cover the tattoos" people: He's wearing glasses, and that worked for OJ, so I think it'll be fine.

@OP: Thanks for doing this for the community. In a way I think it coming from a "biker" looking guy still comes off better than if they stuck a power-ranger lookin' street stunter kid up there to talk about how sweet lane splittin at 80 is.

You look down to earth. You look like a neighbor, a good guy and have a kind face and smile.

It'll be received fine.
Thanks!
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
YellowBastard
Veteran

Motorcycles: All of the above
Name:
What's TV?
YellowBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #19
MysterYvil
On a break

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Thank you for doing this for all of us!

And I think the ink will be totally offset by your grin!
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2014 R6
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiirider View Post
Won't get to see it here, but I DO wish someone would point out the LOGICAL fallicy of people getting angry about motorcycles PASSING them:

That, Unless you are going to the exact same place and taking their parking spot, you don't have ANY negative impact on their hateful commute.

It's not a zero-sum game out there folks, just because cyclists are winning doesn't mean anyone else is losing anything.
Seems so simple and obvious, right? If anything, we reduce their commute time by not taking up normal car space in traffic.

And yet, I have morons occasionally try to block me, people flipping me off despite gentle lane splitting, etc.
jdhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
jdhu
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2014 R6
Name: Jim
Well, to be perfectly honest, when I saw the pic in the original post, I mentally groaned a bit. I get that in a perfect world, we don't judge people by appearance, style, etc. However, given the issue and that we are trying to convince an ignorant audience, I would think a clean cut, well-spoken (OP, I have no idea whether you are or not; these are just my thoughts on an ideal presentation) person who can calmly and rationally show why lane sharing is good for everyone would be most effective.

Looking forward to the video OP, thanks for doing this!
jdhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #22
louemc
Veteran

Motorcycles: 05 Kawi ZX10R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
Aw, so sweet. Thanks! Will definitely post it - I expect to have the file to post next week.

Very well - Cheryl was very interested and led the conversation in good directions. I was very pleased with it, overall.

I already taped it last month, and anyway, sorry - no-can-do-ski. One, that shirt has the sticker design on it, and two, while I get that some people don't listen to tattooed people, eh... whatever. I put in the work on and the funds behind the site, on my own terms.

I don't know about y'all, but I meet a lot of riders who aren't wearing khakis and button downs. Motorcyclists are a diverse bunch. I'll keep my rant about encountering this kind of mindset on a site about motorcycles to myself and leave my response at that.
on all counts
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
5150ninja
Veteran

AMA #: 2956700

Motorcycles: Green Concours C10, No not that one, the other green one.
Name: Ianz Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
Do us a favor and wear long sleeves, if you haven't taped it yet, Monkey.

I was gonna say the same thing! Yea, and wear a tie. Red power tie FTW.
Thanks for the hard work and effort BTW.

Posted before reading the whole thread...oops. Anyway.....

Last edited by 5150ninja; 05-11-2013 at 08:18 PM..
5150ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
I already taped it last month, and anyway, sorry - no-can-do-ski. One, that shirt has the sticker design on it, and two, while I get that some people don't listen to tattooed people, eh... whatever. I put in the work on and the funds behind the site, on my own terms.

I don't know about y'all, but I meet a lot of riders who aren't wearing khakis and button downs. Motorcyclists are a diverse bunch. I'll keep my rant about encountering this kind of mindset on a site about motorcycles to myself and leave my response at that.
Did you design that sticker? How about the shirt? It's a cool shirt, I thought I had seen it before

Good to hear about the publicity, I'll watch tomorrow. And I also, as expressed above, hope that housewives and whatnot guys aren't having the wrong impression

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 05-11-2013 at 09:44 PM..
AbsolutEnduser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #25
Crom
Veteran

Motorcycles: sml V4s
Name:
Wish there was more of this down South. Still a lot of drivers that get very offended from splitting down here. More so filtering at lights but I still get the clowns that try and block me on the 101 or 405. Guess they want me to fell the irritability they're feeling sitting In that mess. We now have the worst traffic in country. 405 averages 8 miles an hour. It's called the 405 because it takes 4 or 5 hours to get to where you're going. I'm so grateful I can split and not out there in a big car hogging the road.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Did you design that sticker? How about the shirt? It's a cool shirt, I thought I had seen it before
My wife did the sticker and shirt design, based on some scribbling I did. We discovered later there were one or two similar things done in the past but nothing available now that I know of. Whole story in this thread from a few months ago. That shirt is the only one that exists right now.

I'm not going to waste my time expounding on this much further, but I'm extremely disappointed in this whole "cover your tattoos" thing going on, especially among motorcyclists in California. We all choose to ride motorcycles, which - no matter how normal you think you are - makes us all outsiders to some extent. In that light, the fact that I'm getting "feedback" from 20% of posted in this thread for not looking like a lobbyist seems pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #27
ElectricPrunes
Banned

Motorcycles: CBRHoneybadgerRR
Name: Kev
Everyone saying hide the tats is really just me and Gravy Leg. We're not hating on Tattoos. We're saying TV is a visual, superficial medium and you can play into it or not. We're not even suggesting you did something wrong. We're saying you were on a show where viewers like how fake everything is: Fake news, fake backdrop, fake 90's business attire, fake newsperson accents. Anybody or anyTHING that's NOT fake stands out in a fake backdrop.

We're just saying maybe you should've had some dogs jumping through hoola hoops and a jetskiing squirrel to convey the importance of lane sharing. It'll be interesting to see what response, if any, there will be to this amount of media coverage. We love you man for sticking your neck out for the rest of us. Truly.

Last edited by ElectricPrunes; 05-12-2013 at 02:09 AM..
ElectricPrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #28
Ironbutt
Loves the anecdotal

AMA #: 2880504
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yamasaki
Name:
See why I thought doing this in a shadowed way would be better?

Wear a full face helmet and take your shirt off.

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time expounding on this much further, but I'm extremely disappointed in this whole "cover your tattoos" thing going on, especially among motorcyclists in California. We all choose to ride motorcycles, which - no matter how normal you think you are - makes us all outsiders to some extent. In that light, the fact that I'm getting "feedback" from 20% of posted in this thread for not looking like a lobbyist seems pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPrunes View Post
Everyone saying hide the tats is really just me and Gravy Leg. We're not hating on Tattoos. We're saying TV is a visual, superficial medium and you can play into it or not. We're not even suggesting you did something wrong. We're saying you were on a show where viewers like how fake everything is: Fake news, fake backdrop, fake 90's business attire, fake newsperson accents. Anybody or anyTHING that's NOT fake stands out in a fake backdrop.

We're just saying maybe you should've had some dogs jumping through hoola hoops and a jetskiing squirrel to convey the importance of lane sharing. It'll be interesting to see what response, if any, there will be to this amount of media coverage. We love you man for sticking your neck out for the rest of us. Truly.
Thanks. And thanks to everyone else. I totally understand and appreciate where you guys are coming from - I just disagree. I'm not trying to be a defensive jerk, but as previously mentioned, I've been pretty successful in life by simply ignoring the idea that I have to look a certain way, and doing good work.

As for media coverage, I monitor coverage and news using several tools. There's already TONS of coverage - I spend a lot of time sifting through it, as well as chasing down "exclusive" stuff. The CA guidelines and the NV legislation have already been covered extensively on TV, not always in a favorable light. I think I'll come off significantly more positively than most of the other "bikers" that have been interviewed, but I also only had about two minutes so I couldn't do much of a dissertation on why splitting is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
See why I thought doing this in a shadowed way would be better?

Wear a full face helmet and take your shirt off.
I have tattoos on my chest too, you know. But seriously, although I'd rather function in a more "behind the scenes" kind of way, there are more and more opportunities to get attention for the project that require me to be a person with a name, a face and a shirt on. I hope that more attention to the project means more awareness from non-riders, and since that's the goal - I gotta do it.

Last edited by Surj; 05-12-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #30
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
In a way I think it coming from a "biker" looking guy still comes off better than if they stuck a power-ranger lookin' street stunter kid up there to talk about how sweet lane splittin at 80 is.
I have NEVER seen a power-ranger stunter. You do know stunters dress differently than road racers, don't you? And YOUR interpretation of a biker looking guy is what, a Hells Angel like Sonny Barger, or Steve McQueen, or Ricky Carmichael? I don't follow your logic, one dang bit.

Since the other thread came up about doing a TV interview, I was surprised that this interview was not mentioned much sooner, monkeyneck. If you were running for elected office would your attitude about "image doesn't matter" change? You are representing something that may well be voted about, just like we vote on who is governor.

Thanks for your other efforts.