Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #31
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #32
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R

youtu.be/GUx9HWiIccY
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #33
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
Looks like sfcootz got you..

you use html thingies.

Last edited by Cabrito; 02-10-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Cabrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #34
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw
Name: Daniel
AAAWWWWEEESSSOOOOMMMMEEEEE!!!!!! Merlin you rock! Your attitude while learning to ride the sand is inspirational too.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #35
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I love your commentary Merlin! Too funny! These videos are AWESOME!

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #36
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Day 2 - San Francisquito to El Arco to Mulege

After an awesome night of camping at the beach and fresh fish tacos made by the local restaurant we set out on our second day of riding. It did rain overnight a little bit. I'm glad I brought my tent and put the fly on. San Francisquito is like a offroaders paradise. You have to drive several miles to get there on dirt roads and its very outdoorsie. The locals were very nice and accomodating. They even sold us fuel, I've never had fuel sold to me in a gallon jug and poured into my tank haha.

The weather was overcasty and it would rain at times, this is a good thing because it kept the dust down and the traction up.

It was a good thing that I removed my duffle bag from my rack, because I found out it was broke and had I rode with it today it probably would have just ripped the whole rack right out. So we put my duffle bag on Cabrito's FJ cruiser for the day until I can get my rack mended. Poor thing has been on many adventures but it took the Baja to break it. Its hard to tell in the picture but the whole tube behind the weld is cracked.

Gettin ready to head out for Day 2

Our first destination is El Arco. It was planned that everyone would ride to El Arco together then we would split off into two groups. Cabrito, sfcootz, and Dmitri would take the longer paved way to San Ignacio because of the amount of sand there would be the vstrom wasn't having it. Dmitri would also take the vstrom to El Arco as well.

Today would be the DAY OF SAND! I was very worried/stressed about the sand. I was out of my comfort zone. As you know sand on a motorcycle is a challenge for me. Sand with a quad is one thing but sand on 2 wheels always presents a problems for me. Other people were probably thinking the same thing and in the same boat as me. I can do sand just not very well, but today is the day to practice and luckily its a little damp. Something I'd learned from death valley is the easiest way through loose stuff is to stay in the ruts and tracks other vehicles make, keeps you in TRACK. Another thing I'd learned is to give it throttle. If the bike gets all crazy and wants to buck you give it throttle. It will raise the front end and keep it from digging in and washing out. I was remember quotes from Jeremy Clarkson about how everything can be solved with POWER! In this circumstance that is true. Haha now that presents another problem, you go way too fast. I found myself going 50+ MPH sometimes in some sections and catch up to people sometimes, out of my comfort zone. So I've learned to slow down in sand also by feathering/modulating the throttle, rather than braking or letting off and engine braking. That also leads me to another problem is following too closely. If you follow closely and the person in front slows down then you need to slow down and that is potential to loose control. Wayne also told me what to do when it gets crazy on you is to repeatedly stab at the throttle and wiggle the handlebars. Lets just say my sand riding had leveled up by the end of the day. Oaklandf4i and Sasquatch were teaching some of us how to maneuver the bike using your legs, its helps a lot in the loose stuff.

Anyway we make it just out of San Fracisquito. The bike has so much more power and easier to handle without the dufflebag, especially with the hicomp piston. I would say the ride to El Arco I could have handle with the weight but not the section after.

Regrouping after leaving San Francisquito

The road going out was narrow and sandy and ladden with cacti.

It eventually opened up

The terrain would change from sandy to rocky gravel

Loose dirt almost silty

And my favorite DEEP SAND!

We regrouped near where we took a break yesterday.

I hung back for Dmitri and the strom since I'm in the back. We are TEAM SUZUKI haha. He did ride the vstrom very well even passing me sometimes.

We hung a left from where we took a break and after that the sand was ON! Man varying terrain but I couldn't escape that sand it was HadesOmega vs Sand. Today though I was doing much better and made friends with the sand. Riding in everyone's tracks helped a lot too, except those times when someone would fishtail and leave all these wavy trails O_o.

Riding through cacti forests

Checking to see if the FJ was on the right track

Cabrito didn't know that Dmitri got comms withe sfcootz in the FJ and went back to find them

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-11-2015 at 01:56 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #37
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

There were miles and miles of endless sand roads and ride them I did and I rode them fast! Speeds of up to 50 MPH, I couldn't believe it, it was terrifying and exciting at the same time.

I'd actually found a good seating position for riding in the sand. My backpack was strapped to the rear rack so I would shift my weight to the rear by basically just sitting on top of my backpack. Less tiring on the knees and effective in shifting the weight to attack that sand.

Just miles and miles of this and the DR650 and I were eatin it all up!

We got to a mountain area, it was fun going up the hill. There were some sandy sections I had some trouble with but no problem.

Takin a break before hitting the hills

We goin up der!

There were some turns and some sandy ones too!

LONG sand roads following Salwater and 1962siia88

Here is a large sandwash. PICK UR LINE! You can tell someone went left on the road, someone went to the side of the road and someone just said fuck it and went straight through the wash.

Nice S turns through the cacti forest

More sand

Identify the hazard and pick a line. Big rock and tree. Go left of the rock, go right of the rock. I chose go right of the rock and make friends with the tree.

We took a break not long after the long sand roads after super sandwash. I had lost a tool tube attached to my rack. It was the one with my tire irons on it, luckily sfcootz picked it up in the FJ cruiser, whew thanks. What had happened was that the nut holding the clamp on came loose then the tube broke off. So gotta regularly locktite bolts because just locktiting it doesn't do the trick.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-11-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #38
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Great Pics and Vids Merlin. The in helmet commentary is great. I wonder what I sound like?
Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #39
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Next stop giant cave paintings! Or so I thought.

The road ahead had some pretty deep sand and washes. They were tough to get through but everyone seemed to be doing ok. This is where the following too closely comes into play. Its like a domino effect if one person slows down then every slows and and then someone goes down haha.

There were these giant open sand washes.

I was flying down these roads at 50mph. Everyone left me in the dust so they must have been going >50mph O_o'.

Passed by ThumperX

Some signs of civilization out here. Wind turbines and solar panels.

Giant Sandywashes

Having trouble can't slow down or else I'll get stuck too

Some steep sections

More endless sand roads. Check out the speed on these 50MPH!

Regroup before hitting cave paintings

A little melon LunchBox tossed me. I wound up keeping it in my pouch for most of the trip but broke it later =(

More sand

Taking a left here and heading to the cave paintings

These was a pretty overgrown road. You can tell it hasn't been traveled much. It was almost a single track in someplaces.

Cabrito taking a break

Downed cactus, went around it. The thought had occurred to me that it would be fun to try and jump it because I had been practicing log jumping, but as I find out later that is not a good idea.

Me dodging a tree lotsa these, thank goodness for barkbusters!

Ahhh its trying to eat me!

Here's a tough section
Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 AM   #40
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Sadly this is about as far as I make it. Seems like everyone was having a tough time here. So what you are seeing in this picture is us trying to cross this giant sandwash looking for cave paintings. Eventually everyone just turns around.

Here we GO!

And I'm stuck, I've high centered on a plant of some sort.

OaklandF4I

Everyone's turned back, by the way I'm still stuck.

Now Team Suzuki is stuck

Unstucking the vstrom

Getting roosted by the vstrom

I'm still stuck but not for long

OaklandF4I walking my bike in the sand. One thing I need to practice.

So this is pretty much the end of the line for the cave paintings tour. We found this lizard but he wasn't in very good shape, nearly dead. We couldn't find the cave paintings so we decided to turn around. Was a fun little detour. From what I gather from the internet I think we were in the right place. I think you are suppose to hike it the paintings, wish there were signs.

On the way back to the main road

Lunchbox' front tire got a flat, probably from jumping that cactus He fixed it in about 10 mins, way to go tubliss!

Regrouped at the road

Back on the sand highway
Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #41
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Cow cows!

Almost at El Arco

Getting roosted by OaklandF4I

Getting roosted by LunchBox. Man we've been haulin and these guys were a few minutes behind.

Signs of civilization at last

Regroup at El Arco

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-11-2015 at 01:52 AM..
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #42
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Love it Merlin!!! I keep hitting refresh

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #43
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
Love it Merlin!!! I keep hitting refresh
Me too, like a lab rat!

We were very close to the cave paintings. I think it was actually closer to the main road and we just missed the hiking trail up. We went too far (the wash). Here is a pic of it on the hillside from the road below. I should have brought this pic with to find it easier. Next trip....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	El Carmen Cave paintings.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	457445  

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 02-11-2015 at 04:38 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #44
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Yeah at the time I wasn't too crazy about the cave paintings but I started looking it up online and saw that they're light huge awesome cave paintings. Would have been some nice pictures.

Next video is up

youtu.be/itH7ebSIP-Y

2 2day! Sorry I'm not a very good Claudio, everyone leaves me in the dust.

youtu.be/DTphPYue3Pg

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-12-2015 at 02:24 AM..
Old 02-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #45
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw
Name: Daniel
Awesome Merlin! Keep it up!