Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 12-29-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
mosquito
Above all I like to play.

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 91GSF400
Name: IamTheBug!
R1200ST from Alaska

A friend of mine's brother left his appx 2006 BMW R1200ST in Alaska and I was just presented with the idea of my riding it back to the 48 for him. Such a trip is pretty long -- in distance the same scale as riding to the East Coast.

Would you do such a thing on this sort of bike? How comfortable would it be? At first glance at it has me concerned about the clip-ons.

[QUOTE=crick;8895072]... i want a freak rain storm to test my crotch too ...[/QUOTE][QUOTE]Air Patrol 51A: "Holy Captain Kirk motorcycle passing Prius heading up hill"[/QUOTE][SIZE="2"][B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]ˇˇˇPowah[/COLOR] to the [COLOR="Navy"]Posters!!![/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
did Alaska on a K75s and it was wonderful experience ...

think the ‘06 R1200ST has height adjustable handgrips, windshield and seat ...?

three weeks would give me time to ride from Anchorage to the Bay Area and try to see Denali and/or Homer and maybe and in-and-out to Valdez or Stewart/Hyder along the way. There’s a fun rally in Dawson City on the Summer solstice (would be a paved up-and-back from Whitehorse) ... late June is fun because the sun stops setting ...

great opportunity for you, totally jealous ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 12-29-2018 at 08:57 PM..
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Did Alaska on my '88 R100GS.
Had a great time.

Just do it.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
mosquito

Contributor ++

Hmm. You all may be a bad (good) influence on me. Haha!

I know the seat is adjustable. Dunno about the windshield or grips.

Three weeks you say? My quick calculation said a minimum of 2 weeks. It would be better to over-plan. I'd want to go Fairbanks > Anchorage > (Possibly Sitka) > SF. There's a ferry I think. I wouldn't mind that for part of it. I think I'd want to do it in August, 'cause of my work schedule.

Hmm.

[QUOTE=crick;8895072]... i want a freak rain storm to test my crotch too ...[/QUOTE][QUOTE]Air Patrol 51A: "Holy Captain Kirk motorcycle passing Prius heading up hill"[/QUOTE][SIZE="2"][B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]ˇˇˇPowah[/COLOR] to the [COLOR="Navy"]Posters!!![/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
You're gonna kick your own ass for the rest of your life if you don't do this.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #6
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Give yourself a few days to make sure the bike is ready for the trip before you leave where ever it is stored. Probably ship a new set of tires and oil filter and oil at least.

But, as stated above, if I was offered the chance, I would leap at it, in the summer.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
There's a ferry I think. I wouldn't mind that for part of it.
Alaska does has a ferry system:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/vessel_routes.shtml

hear the views from the ferry are spectacular ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
mosquito

Contributor ++

The bike's at Friend's house in Fairbanks and has been sitting for about 2 years. The plan would be to get the bike hauled over to the local BMW shop and have them tune it up, check hoses, and replace fluids, battery, & tires, etc. about a month before my arrival just in case there's an issue getting a part. Spend a few days in Fairbanks visiting and shopping for the trip. Then probably ride to Anchorage to shake it out (I guess that distance is like SF to LA) and visit Friend2 before heading south.

Turns out hauling a bike on the ferry is expensive! (For a particular route) the human part is under $200 and the bike part is over $500! I was guessing / hoping that cost would be closer to $500 than $1000.

That is the biggest issue, I think. I can probably get Owner to pay me some $, but it would still prolly cost me more than I can easily put together.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
Trashed 600
1 Cool Guy

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
The bike's at Friend's house in Fairbanks and has been sitting for about 2 years. The plan would be to get the bike hauled over to the local BMW shop and have them tune it up, check hoses, and replace fluids, battery, & tires, etc. about a month before my arrival just in case there's an issue getting a part. Spend a few days in Fairbanks visiting and shopping for the trip. Then probably ride to Anchorage to shake it out (I guess that distance is like SF to LA) and visit Friend2 before heading south.
I just took my BMW to the shop to get some work done. Turns out it's going to be a two-week delay, as they broke a piece. And that's for some random teeny part that's local. And I'm in the Bay Area. I would make sure that you got two months for the shop to work on it in case they have to order anything. They may have to get it from Germany.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor +++++++++ 1%

Motorcycles: Real Strom, TR-650x.5, Rapid Taxi RR, ZX-6r, '81 1002
Name: chris
The ferry only seems expensive. Cost out gas for the Canadian ride plus rooms if you aren’t tenting it. I really enjoyed the ferry, was very relaxing reading and looking at sky, clouds, islands and critters. We did have a very small bunk room. From here we figured the ferry would make it a one tire trip. Decide if you want to ride 4-6 days back or ferry 4 + ride 1 or 2.
Do it!

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
I'm looking at riding to Alaska this summer. Hoping to find someone to do it with. If anyone is interested, let me know. NC700X so I won't be doing a whole lot of off road.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
mosquito

Contributor ++

Hmm. Two months? Bleah. Well that does still fit my timeline. I think I'll make the actual decision in June.

I do like the idea of the ferry. If I can swing it, it means I get to visit a friend in Sitka too.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 AM   #13
Afterburner
double finger, throttle!!

Motorcycles: was 04' ST1300
Name: darrin
does not sound that good..

see my PM..

like i said, long jaunts are tough!

everything hast to be perfect and planned out!

Avg. temperature is foremost! length of daily drive (be realistic!, including wind)

and if your going to do more than 850mi. in a day you better have a better bike than mine sport touring '04 Honda ST1300 stock $16kUSD, my bike can do it!!!! i just can't (Titanium Butt Club), ok i did it a few times but i slept standing up for 2 weeks every time... not fun! no glory! just standing in a corner... was fun... but let me warn you

-darrin

Bill "RydTher Rally"
Phuzzy3d
Afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
I did SFO-ANC in a car once, kind of a rush trip with friend that needed to be there in 1 week for new job.

SF, Portland, Vancouver, Prince George, Dease Lake, Whitehorse, Tok, Anchorage. Six nights average driving 9 hours per day. Doing it solo can be rough. Two drivers in a car driving 4.5 hours each per day not so bad.

Going solo on a motorcycle try to add in a couple of extra stops to get the daily drive time down to a more manageable 6 hours a day in the saddle.

Weather super variable. Can get cold/rain at any time. I got lucky with early June weather, almost zero rain. It was a gorgeous drive, worth doing sometime in your lifetime. For me the most beautiful segment was the Cassiar Highway from Meziadin Junction to Dease Lake.

One of my customers did the ride last year in June on his Bmw R12gs last year got rained on alot. He holed up in Dease Lake for a few days just to dry out and warm up.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
mosquito

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner View Post
see my PM..

-darrin
Ohhh! Now I understand your message!

OK, I hadn't considered the seat so. Yeah, it makes sense that it better be darn good! Thanks!