BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Laws & Lawmakers

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
No, any modification that alters the NOx or CO2 output and thus isn't approved for use in the state for an on-road vehicle is considered tampering. There are plenty of things you can do to your vehicle without altering the smog control devices.

Just a cursory check showed me multiple Prius aftermarket CARB-approved converters. What year is your Prius? And no, they're not always expensive although that can be relative. An OEM version will cost you thousands whereas the aftermarket units are a typically a few hundred bucks. Expensive? Perhaps. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper than an OEM unit.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
novaks47
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
California the land of no fun. Smog nazis make it harder for tuners and companies.

My catalytic converter got stolen few months back on my Prius and we can't buy federal cats here because California has their own special CARB approved cats and no one but Toyota sells them apparently. So new cats are like $2000 you can get a Fed cat for like $200.

I like clean air but sometimes CARB is just rediculous.

I have a 1998 Mitusbishi Eclipse and it's a bitch trying to find a smog test station for older than 2000 cars now. Carb or BAR made some kind of update to the smog machines and it's costing the smog station like $20,000 to do it so a lot of shops just stopped smogging older vehicles because of this. This is their trick to get rid of 90's vehicles.

Pretty soon we'll just be driving electric cars...

Like generators too you have to buy a CARB compliant generator
Everything with an engine has to be CARB compliant nowadays. Chainsaws, lawn mowers, string trimmers, everything. CARB compliance is not cheap to obtain either. Meeting the specs isn't that hard these days, but it sure is spendy! Last I checked if a motorcycle manufacturer wants to get a cert, it's $20K per model, and CARB completes it when they feel like it. Same goes for air intakes on cars, that's why Injen, a CA company, barely has any CA legal intakes left on the market, they'll never recover that money. The whole cat converter thing is a scam as well. The difference between a federal and CARB approved cat? Money paid to CARB to get that EO number. That's it. Functionally identical. CARB, and Mary Nichols can f right the hell off.

With that rant aside, I'm 100% a-ok with loud exhausts dying off forever. Dedicated track bike? Sure, why not, but not on the street. the Euro compliant exhausts seem alright though, as they're barely louder than stock. Like sckego, I live in the hills, and it's a nightmare now. Even when they're miles away, I can still hear them buzzing/rumbling around. Haven't had a peaceful hike in years, or a relaxing weekend for that matter. Can't even enjoy a movie, have to wait until well after 9PM. I'd personally start writing checks to CHP officers to enforce sound ordinances on the weekends, and pop every last obnoxious bike and car.

Last edited by novaks47; 08-04-2020 at 12:44 PM..
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM   #18
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Not fined, shaked down. CARB doesn't have any authority over a business in Philadelphia with warehouses there and Las Vegas.

I guess they must have stupidly sold non-compliant parts at a California brick and mortar Cycle Gear?
Old 08-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #19
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Wrong. No business can offer non-compliant parts for sale with shipping to California. It doesn't matter where they're physically located.

Quote:
California law prohibits the advertising, sale, distribution, and delivery of parts that alter emissions control systems of vehicles unless these parts have first been exempted by CARB and are proven not to increase smog-forming emissions. These laws apply to all manufacturers, distributors, dealers, installers, and retailers, even if they do not manufacture the products themselves, or are located outside of California.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

Old 08-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
Heywood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
Now if I could just snap my fingers at CARB...

Old 08-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #21
x42bnx
Drives Like a Jerk

Motorcycles: 2007 R6
Name: Dan
For every place that CARB stops from selling these, a few pop up that do

SV650 Thrash Bike.
x42bnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

And in time, they're gone too.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
x42bnx
Drives Like a Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
And in time, they're gone too.
Actually no, I'm one of those guys who modifies everything I own and at first when I bought my Hellcat I thought i'd have a hard time finding stores inside of California to ship me parts and it definitely wasn't. I also restored an SV650 and bought a full exhaust off of a website from a company in California, all I had to do was say that "ItS nOt FoR StReEt UsE"..

I know, you are probably one of those guys against it and are rooting for CARB - but there's more of us than you!
SV650 Thrash Bike.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #24
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Believe what you want to believe. Just because every speeder doesn't get caught every time doesn't mean they won't get caught eventually. Discretion is a hell of a sentiment in CARB's world.

Furthermore, you did exactly what they companies that sell the shit want you to do. Admit to them that it's not for street use. So long as they can prove that when they're in court, they're free and clear. They didn't break the law at that point...only you did.

Last edited by Kornholio; 09-17-2020 at 08:42 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #25
x42bnx
Drives Like a Jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
Believe what you want to believe. Just because every speeder doesn't get caught every time doesn't mean they won't get caught eventually. Discretion is a hell of a sentiment in CARB's world.

Furthermore, you did exactly what they companies that sell the shit want you to do. Admit to them that it's not for street use. So long as they can prove that when they're in court, they're free and clear. They didn't break the law at that point...only you did.
That's a terrible thing to do.
SV650 Thrash Bike.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Not related to motos but CARB is a self-serving bunch of dick wads who have no concept of how to lower smog levels.

I took my '73 Challenger in to get it smogged one year and it passed smog with flying colors I think it passed with less than 50% or the recommended levels of gases in the exhaust but because I had a 360 degree air cleaner on it they failed me. I had to go get a fully enclosed air cleaner that increased the amount of contaminants that the engine produced so it would be stock smog compliant configuration.

Who gives a shit what you do to your car as long as it does not increase the smog gases at the end of the pipe. As long as you are not cheating the system.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:10 AM   #27
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: R5 350
Name: Billy
Why would you smog a ‘73 when anything ‘75 and older is exempt?

Put me in the down with CARB camp. Visual inspections are super lame. Test the emissions and go with the numbers. Who cares what happens before the tailpipe as long as what comes out is within acceptable limits?

Last edited by CABilly; 09-29-2020 at 03:14 AM..
CABilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #28
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Damn I'm finally getting old. I think I can answer that question about smogging a '73. It's because there was a time that the cutoff date was a rolling 25 year exemption and not a fixed date. It was repealed, or not renewed, or whatever so that the date was stuck at '74 and earlier when '74 was 25 years old and has been stuck there ever since.
Furthermore and this may have changed since I last followed this, for '69-'74 you are still required to comply with the law and not alter the vehicle and it was only the testing portion that you're exempted from. And yes, CARB doesn't give two shits about actual emission levels or they would allow for mods to older vehicles that actually clean them up without jumping through hoops and spending a bunch of money, but I think we've already established they are just after the money.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #29
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Sorry didn't see the latest posts. This was back when I was a youngin and it was still under the 25-year limit. Had to do my '70 and '73 a few times and it was always the same thing. I had the OEM for the '70 but for the '73 I bought a salvage yard one that was similar and got busted for it being Ford Blue and not being a Dodge part. I took it home and rattle canned it black and went to a different shop and it passed with flying colors. So this was back in 1990 or so.

I am now in a state free of CARB and I can be emitting black smoke for all they care. I am not a complete climate Nazi but even I cringe when I see what comes out of some of the tailpipes on vehicles here and wonder how the hell can they be allowed on the road.

Shit even some of the rolling wrecks they let drive with no issue. I used to see a small truck I think it may have been a S-10 driving around and it looked like it had flipped over on the roof the pillars were smashed down and it was just bad but it was driving around for months going by cops and nothing happened. I figured it would have triggered someone to tell them to get that thing to a wrecking yard but nope. I wouldn't even think it would pass the yearly safety test here but that is a joke. do your lights work and do you have insurance? Yes.. You pass give me my $10 and here is your sticker.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #30
W800
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki W800 2012 Royal Enfield Classic
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Fuck CARB...

I mean.. Thank God for CARB saving us from ourselves.
So true!

I'm super excited about the Utopia that our California government has in store for us!

For example, I think it's awesome that the state that has the highest electricity prices, and a (highly government regulated) power grid so bad that it burns down large parts of the state, has now mandated electric cars.

ETA: read the article, the comments are funny.

Here is what I think really happened: COMOTO struck the deal because it gives them a cheap "out." Now they are good with CARB. This has the effect of putting smaller online retailers right into CARB cross hairs. It's worth the money they paid.

COMOTO can make themselves look like victims, and get everybody mad at CARB. But the larger effect will be that smaller retailers will have to cover their butts now and hope CARB doesn't come after them. Basically, COMOTO paid "protection money" to CARB.

This is an old trick - and I will explain. It's helpful if you think how organized crime works.

In San Francisco a few years ago, the City wanted to outlaw cigarette sales in liquor stores. Liquor store owners weren't having it. So they made a deal with the City and got grandfathered in. This had the effect of preventing new competitors from selling cigarettes. It's literally anti-competitive, but everyone gets what they "want."

Like I said, when you think about government stuff, please realize that the line between government and organized crime is very thin. One is slightly on one side of the law, and the other one is not. But the tactics and techniques used to get money are the exact same.

Last edited by W800; 10-01-2020 at 10:57 PM..
W800 is offline   Reply With Quote