BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Reviews & Recommendations


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Gloves to replace Helimot Leather Racers?

I have had a set of Helimot Racer leather gloves for at least 8 years and it might be 10. Unfortunately, on my ride today, I noticed that the index and middle fingers on my left hand glove have holes in them. I guess these gloves are done!

I already have a set of the Buffalo gloves, so I don’t need that. Those are my cold-weather gloves. I’m looking for a high-quality glove to replace the leather Racer gloves as my summer gloves. I called and spoke with Helmut today and they don’t have any more of the Hi-5 gloves in my size, and he’s not sure that they will make more.

I love these gloves. What can you recommend to replace them? One feature that really makes me happy is the padded palm. Is that something I can get with Racer, Knox or others?
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider
 
ScottRNelson's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Meridian, ID
Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
...I noticed that the index and middle fingers on my left hand glove have holes in them. I guess these gloves are done!
Why is it the left hand that wears through the fingers? I have a set of Held gloves (that I purchased from Helimot) that have done that.

I'm looking for suggestions for new gloves too.

I probably have six or more sets of motorcycle gloves, but I'm still looking for something better. I hate to admit that my riding gear is wearing out.
__________________
Scott R. Nelson - Meridian, Idaho (after 30 years in the Bay Area)
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #3
RickM
Veteran
 
RickM's Avatar
 
Contributor + 8%

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Motorcycles: KTM SDGT, F800GSA, Bunch ‘O’ Hondas
Name: Ricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
I have had a set of Helimot Racer leather gloves for at least 8 years and it might be 10. Unfortunately, on my ride today, I noticed that the index and middle fingers on my left hand glove have holes in them. I guess these gloves are done!

I already have a set of the Buffalo gloves, so I don’t need that. Those are my cold-weather gloves. I’m looking for a high-quality glove to replace the leather Racer gloves as my summer gloves. I called and spoke with Helmut today and they don’t have any more of the Hi-5 gloves in my size, and he’s not sure that they will make more.

I love these gloves. What can you recommend to replace them? One feature that really makes me happy is the padded palm. Is that something I can get with Racer, Knox or others?
My Helimots did the same after many years. I was able to get them repaired by Helmut for a very reasonable cost. Turnaround was quick too.
__________________
Do Supermoto. Off the hook fun!

+ 1 st gen SV650 parts: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=460115
+ Ninja 650 parts: http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=456140
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
My Helimots did the same after many years. I was able to get them repaired by Helmut for a very reasonable cost. Turnaround was quick too.
I asked about a repair when I called and spoke to Helmut. He doesn’t offer the repairs anymore for a few reasons, so that’s not an option.
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Why is it the left hand that wears through the fingers? I have a set of Held gloves (that I purchased from Helimot) that have done that.

I'm looking for suggestions for new gloves too.

I probably have six or more sets of motorcycle gloves, but I'm still looking for something better. I hate to admit that my riding gear is wearing out.
More shifting than braking, maybe? And yeah, I have a number of back-ups, but these were the best I have had. I’m bummed that he doesn’t make them anymore and I can’t get the Hi-5.
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.

Last edited by FoolishMortal; 07-04-2020 at 07:53 AM..
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
tzrider
Write Only User
 
tzrider's Avatar
 
BARF Admin
Contributor +

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
I asked about a repair when I called and spoke to Helmut. He doesn’t offer the repairs anymore for a few reasons, so that’s not an option.
He could sell you a new pair though, couldn't he?
__________________
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
JMardy
More head - less ass
 
JMardy's Avatar
 
Contributor + + + + + 8%

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Rafael
Motorcycles: KTMs! '13 RC8R, '16 Super Duke SE, 690 Enduro/SMC
Name: Haywood
Check these out too:
https://leeparksdesign.com/deersports/
I've had a set for years. Very comfortable.

Made out of deer which I like on a couple of levels.
JMardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
He could sell you a new pair though, couldn't he?
Not at this time. I already have a set of the Buffalo gloves, he doesn’t make the Racers anymore and he’s OOS of the Hi-5 gloves. I’m out of options with Helimot.
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #9
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMardy View Post
Check these out too:
https://leeparksdesign.com/deersports/
I've had a set for years. Very comfortable.

Made out of deer which I like on a couple of levels.
You are the second person to recommend those. I will check them out.
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
dravnx
Veteran
 
dravnx's Avatar
 
AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: santa rosa, ca
Motorcycles: '12 DL650A gone '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300 gone R1200RS '18
Name: Jeff
I've always liked Racer gloves. The High Racer is my go to glove.
__________________
bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
tzrider
Write Only User
 
tzrider's Avatar
 
BARF Admin
Contributor +

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
You are the second person to recommend those. I will check them out.
I have a pair. Like them OK for street use, would never consider them on the track.
__________________
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #12
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
I'm down to a short list. In no particular order...
  • Held Steve
  • Held Chikara
  • Lee Parks Sumo R
  • Alpinestars GP Plus R V2
  • Spidi Carbo 7
  • Racer High Racer

I don't need flashy. What I need is gloves that can be worn for a 200+ mile day with comfort and solid protection, without worry that thin or crappy leather or stitching will come apart immediately upon contact. Hard armor is fine, if it doesn't create pressure points, and I prefer two (opposing) closures, like a wrist strap and a gauntlet strap. These will be worn over the cuffs of a leather jacket. I'd like to keep the pricing under/around $200.

If you have feedback regarding any of these (or even similar models), please feel free to chime in. I'll probably get two pairs - one for summer and one for milder weather. I already have winter covered.
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.

Last edited by FoolishMortal; 07-13-2020 at 08:42 AM..
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
dravnx
Veteran
 
dravnx's Avatar
 
AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: santa rosa, ca
Motorcycles: '12 DL650A gone '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300 gone R1200RS '18
Name: Jeff
I have many tens of thousands of miles on High Racers
I finally wore them out and I’m about to order another set
__________________
bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #14
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
You can get HELD gloves a lot cheaper from Europe. Here's the TitanEvo on sale for $200. https://www.chromeburner.com/held-ti...o-black-gloves
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace
 
FoolishMortal's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Benicia
Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
You can get HELD gloves a lot cheaper from Europe. Here's the TitanEvo on sale for $200. https://www.chromeburner.com/held-ti...o-black-gloves
I've been looking at TheVisorShop.com, but I'm a little afraid of the customs and duties charges. Do you have any experience with that?

(Also, they're on steep discount because only size 7.5 is available, which definitely ain't gonna work. )
__________________
Fun: Riding a slow bike fast.
Torture: Riding a fast bike slow.

Last edited by FoolishMortal; 07-13-2020 at 03:56 PM..
FoolishMortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.