Notices

Old 03-11-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: DR-Z400S
Name:
2007 KTM 250 XCF-W ***Green Sticker, Electric Start***

Up for sale is a 2007 KTM 250 XCF-W dirt bike that I owned since 2014. It had at least two owners before me. Reasons for selling: recent big life change, downsizing number of bikes, and this overlaps a lot with what my dual sport does.

$3750 OBO

KTM model name decoding: XC = "cross country" aka off road or enduro (i.e. not the motocross bike)
F = four stroke
W = wide ratio transmission

Clean title in my name, all numbers matching. Green sticker registration good until 2022. There are about 145 hrs on the chassis, 15 hrs on the engine rebuild (more details below).

This bike comes with electric start and a kick starter.

Upgrades/add-ons:
  • Handguards
  • Skid plate
  • Clutch slave guard
  • Radiator braces
  • Tail bag
  • Fork bleeders
  • TM Designworks chain guide and slider
  • Shorai lithium battery
  • Pipe guard
  • Billet triple clamp with adjustable rake
  • Dirt Tricks Cam Chain Tensioner

Recent maintenance/repairs:
  • Oil change
  • New seat cover
  • Repacked steering bearings
  • Valve inspection
  • Air filter cleaning
  • Flushed brake fluid

Not-as recent maintenance/repairs:
In my time owning it I've gone through everything at least once (e.g. wheel bearings, brake pads, shock pivot, carburetor) so this is not a stale/rotted specimen.
The biggest thing I did about 15 hrs ago was completely rebuild the engine which included (not an exhaustive list):
  • replacement used OEM engine cases in excellent condition (I already updated the title to the new engine number)
  • New crank
  • New piston and rings
  • New cylinder
  • Rebuilt transmission
  • All new rolling element bearings
  • New electric starter sprag clutch parts

Last edited by quicksparks; 03-21-2021 at 01:33 PM..
quicksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side whole bike.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	542232   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side whole bike.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	542233   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	542234   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	542235   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side rear.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	542236  

Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #3
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
More pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cockpit hour meter.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	542237   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side engine.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	542238   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side engine.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	542239   Click image for larger version

Name:	left side chain.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	542240   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side shock.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	542241  

Old 03-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
price drop
Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
I took a pic of some of the nice extras that come with this bike. Two air filters (one is unused, unopened). 6 oil filters. Rear brake pads. KTM shop manual on CD.

A couple people have asked in PMs about the reason for the engine rebuild. Here's my response to that question:

I believe what started it all was a broken spline on one of the transmission shafts. Two or more of the little chunks that keep one of the retaining rings in place broke off and this let the retaining ring move out of position. Then this allowed 4th gear to move out of place and eventually rollers in the needle bearing started breaking in half and falling out. I don't know how long that process took since I never noticed a problem with 4th gear! I only found this out after splitting the cases. There is a screen that prevents large debris from getting sucked up by the oil pump but I remove that during oil changes. One of the broken rollers must have made its way into the inlet of the oil pump while I had the screen out and I didn't notice since it's deep inside the engine. Eventually this roller got into the pump itself and locked it up, breaking lots of stuff in the process, including the engine case which makes up the housing of the oil pump. With loss of oil pressure, eventually one of the camshafts seized.

There were a few symptoms I ignored, that in hindsight were signs that this sequence of events was happening. So I replaced everything that was obviously damaged and also parts that I suspected were damaged, or had their useful life shortened, by the lack of oil pressure for some amount of running time. I also replaced all the parts that you're supposed to replace when you split the cases (in for a penny, in for a pound).

The camshaft that seized was replaced, and so was the cam holder (the babbit metal piece that bolts into the head and serves as the bushing for the cam journals). The camshaft that didn't seize was fine, but I spun it on a lathe and used fine emery cloth to polish the journals anyway and under a microscope there was no pitting or galling.

The valve guides were in spec still (checked with pin gauges), so I didn't replace those, but I installed new valve seals. I also installed a new cam chain. While it was apart, the head and valves had all carbon buildup removed by soaking in Simple Green.

The whole top end was replaced -- cylinder, piston, rings. The whole bottom end was replaced -- balanced crankshaft-conn-rod assembly, bearings. I set the crankshaft end play with a dial indicator and shims between one of the crank webs and the bearing, as per the manual.

As for the transmission, I bought a second transmission on ebay and hand picked the best parts from each to have one complete, good transmission. All bearings and circlips were replaced with new.

All rolling element bearings in the engine were replaced with new. New oil pumps. Unrelated to the engine failure I replaced the electric starter sprag clutch since the original one was worn out.

I can produce receipts, notes, photos for the buyer but it will take some digging. I saved all the broken/worn parts and I'll either give them to the buyer or toss them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	542593