Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 10-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #31
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
We returned to the staging area where Jackson told tall tales of heaving his bike up unrideable ledges. A rider we met at Chicken Corner told us our big orange clad rider (Sasquatch) was down and shaken up with our sweep rider (Eric B). He returned riding his bike, bruised and banged up.

Eric B, OaklandF4i, NorcalSlowpoke, and I left for a quick exploration of Kane Creek. We barely got into the creek portion when we had to return to the group, but I got some pics.

Tonight chef Sasquatch is resting and chef Lunch Box is grilling pork. We will vote on the recipient of the pink unicorn of shame and the tard trophy. Maybe one of these days one of us overachievers will win both!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #32
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Most notable was asking for someone to ride to his CR up a ledge without even attempting.
The video of his Walk of Shame will live forever and there is talk of a looping animated gif. Hey mods can we get a special 1962siia88 Walk of Shame smiley?

I want to see it dubbed with the "Lonely Man" from the end credits of the old Incredible Hulk TV show.

youtu.be/TzMSfaNXYZg
Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #33
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Day 3 - So sad I took a bunch of epic pictures today and sadness my SD card got corrupted somehow so I lost a good chunk of them. I do have some bonus quadcopter vidcaps of our staging area. So today we did a scenic ride that was a lot of wide gravel, rocks, slickrocks, and sand called Hurrah Pass and Chickens Corner. The place of area we staged at was called Kane Creek. It was a lot of highspeed desert type riding and the KLX did great. The only problem is the KLX max cruising speed is like 40MPH and it's MAX speed is 53mph as I found out later. The larger bikes just blew me away on the straights.

Jackson riding on the top of the world

Colorado River Canyon Selfie at Chickens Corner

Still some tall rocks from up here

Dismounted the KLX and hiked around Chickens Corner

If you look very carefully you can see a SUV on the other side of the canyon

Passed Chickens Corner is a big mesa you can see OaklandF4I and Norcalslowpoke somewhere in this picture.

You can see 2strokeyardsale sitting down on chickens corner and Anytwowilldo and EricB

I hiked a good distance out passed Chickens Corner, it was beautiful and totally worth it. I did get quite winded doing it though that elevation =/

Panoramic

See that big chunka rock there I went down and up that.

I found another little Chickens Corner and took a picture of my bike from there. I could only see my bike though, can't mistake that Kawasaki GREEN! It was kinda freakin me out though, I get vertigo if I look over a cliff. Also my camera has 21x zoom and it still looks hard to make out the bike.

I've learned this camera doesn't do the best panoramics but here one. Where i stopped hiking you can see the Colorado river doing a U turn.

And back at the staging area. It was like a race back to the staging area except the danger of 2way traffic with side by sides and jeeps coming at you.

Here is the trip stats for our ride to Chickens corner. I have to fix that max speed it always says 91 for some reason. I can tell you I got the KLX140 to about 53mph and it was around 9000RPM. Workin that little 140!

Here's a map of Kane Creek that was at the staging area. Still more to explore. Later on a group went and rode the Kane Creek Trail.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #34
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Some bonus photos on the way out of Kane Creek.

There are actually some people that live in this canyon. Pretty crazy. Here is a cool structure that was built into the canyon, like it was built by native americans.

There's a cave up there but it was private property.

Took this picture kinda near a little slab beach on the Colorado river. I had to climb down this rocky part here.

Here you can see one of the Arches or landbridge for this area. It actually near where the road ends and goes into town. I had a zoom picture of the Arch but it got lost with the corrupt data. I may come back later and try to get it again.

Colorado River Panoramic
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #35
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

BONUS quadcopter footage of the Kane Creek Staging area.

Anytwowildo is going on a search party to see what happened to Sasquatch and EricB here.

And he's gone

View of on of the canyons from of staging area.

The canyon across from the Colorado river

Picture down the canyon

This is the picture of the road that takes you to Hurrah Pass

The BARF convoy staged

Been practicing some pan out in the quadcopter

Right on top here

EricB making his entrance here

You can see there a lot of trees and vegetation that line the Colorado River in this picture.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #36
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Some closeups of the bikes

Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #37
gixxerjeff
Optimistic Underdog

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Amazing stuff guys.
More please!

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #38
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Today we did a warm-up on Slickrock, which was a first for Lunch Box. Sasquatch was out with two broken ribs so we were down to nine.

We refueled and headed for Porcupine 4x4 trail and Porcupine Rim trail. If the trail is named rim, you know there are going to be good views.

The trail generally beat you up then it offered some ledges. The first obstacle caught Lunch Box and the second obstacle caught AnyTwoWillDo.

Between obstacles we could admire the view.

OaklandF4i rode 1962siia88's bike up this obstacle.

1962siia88 was beat and stopped but later conquered the last major obstacle and showed up to meet us at a scenic point.

All that hard work paid off.

Eric B, AnyTwoWillDo, and I continued down Porcupine and a portion of Fins & Things while the rest bailed out on Sand Flats road.

Back at the staging area I discovered a nice cut in the sidewall of my well-worn tire.

Certain people from Oaklamd had trouble grasping the concept of Porcupine Rim trail and would refer to it as Pine Cone, Pineapple, and various other incorrect names. For your benefit, I present the following educational material.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #39
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
This thread gives me so many feels
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #40
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC Eldorado
Name: Daniel
Porkandswine Rim was amazing. Had to do the walk of shame again but hey what can I say? Fun times and pretty incredible what a bike can go up even with an untalented rider. So glad I came on this trip. Woot!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #41
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWeezyXB12 View Post
This thread gives me so many feels
Yup...

Good stuff guys..
Old 10-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #42
Saltwater
Back by popular demand

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Beta 500 1200GSA
Name: Mark
Those trails look like a blast! Great pictures too, I need more.
Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #43
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here is the expedition all gathered together on the Slickrock trail. We were going to ride it again since Lunchbox hadn't of done it yet. It's definitely one of those trails you have to try at least once because there's definitely nothing like it in our neck of the woods. We rode it much faster than last time though. I had thought that I would just blaze through this since it's my second time but that didn't seem to be the case with fatigue from many days of Moab riding still lingering. I realize that when your super tired like this you have to RIDE with the bike rather than trying to muscle it. Use different muscles to get the bike to move.

So I took a wrong turn somewhere and was just following the trail marker lines and I come up to a point where it just stops and looks very unfamiliar. It was a look out. Unexpected but good time for a photo break Here's the view down, it doesn't look steep but that's several hundred feet drop there.

There's the town of Moab

Here's the trail leading to the lookout. There were two mountain bikers there chillin and Lunchbox and had taken the wrong turn with me.

Panoramic of the Slickrock trail from the view point.

So nothing too dramatic this time around. We blazed through it in an hour with like 1 or 2 rest breaks. I had a tumble going around a corner when I dabbed the brake at the wrong time the front slid out and I had a lowside. Picked the bike up and continue on. I tried to follow the line as best I could but I wasn't doing so hot. At one section it took a 90degree turn and I blew past it and almost went down a steep hill. Other than that no problem. I also got all the tracks for the slickrock trail since my GPS ran out of juice last time.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #44
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

The next trail we did was the Porcupine Rim trail. It was gnarly, pretty much as tough as all the rough stuff we've been doing before. There were several tough ledges to clear, rocks, sand, and slickrock. Yeah pretty much everything. But it was worth it for the view at the end!

Picture of the group at the early stages of the ride.

Excellent views on an excellent challenging ride!

This is a tough section, in this picture OaklandF4i is trying to get 1962siia88's bike over this obstacle.

WTF
https://photos.smugmug.com/Events-an..._125439-X2.jpg

When you get to the top though you are rewarded with an epic view right at the edge! It's about 6500ft elevation here! The little KLX was running pretty rich at this altitude.

Had to ride up this to get to the viewpoint

EPIC!

Beta and Kawasaki

You can see everything from here mostly. There's this one mountain all by itself.

Interesting looking at the roads these look like they from an A
Old 10-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #45
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

There's a large valley to the right here.

Lonely mountain

Mesas off in the distance.

Panoramic

You want to ride up here get a Kawasaki! :P

Or a Yamaha, OaklandF4I has caught up in this picture.

EricB, 2strokeyardsale, and OaklanF4i have made it to the top.

1962siia88 has made it to the top!

The whole enchilada is the Porcupine Rim trail and a section for mountain bikes only.