Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
snowface
team threw crew

Contributor

Motorcycles: a MANLY MOTO!!!
Name: sal
SF to Corona ride - 05/24 (long)

the story

Hit the road this Memorial Day weekend for a wedding down in Corona, CA (east of LA). This was a wedding on my wife’s side of the family, which thankfully has an affinity for motorcycles. Talks started early of a ride down from northern California…

the group

My farther-in-law, Ron, has about 40 years of riding experience. He began riding down in southern California on an old 200cc enduro as a cheap and easy way to get to work. Speed runs in his blood though and I’m sure that was part of the attraction. He moved up to bigger and better machines, mainly metric cruisers, until buying his first Harley only a few (<10) years ago. His current (and second) Harley is a 2006 Street Bob.

He’s a shorter man and the reach is perfect for him. It’s not your typical floorboard-toting, custom-paint, poser motorcycle. The only thing separating this bike from any other sport-tourer is the more relaxed seating position and low-slung weight (and the lack of all the usual farkle). As he’s said himself, “…if it doesn’t make you go faster, then get it the hell off…” This bike moves through straights and twisties with speed and grace. Albeit a bit loud at times…

My brother-in-law, Tony, has about 20 years of riding experience, starting out young on dirt as many lucky riders’ kids do. His first real street bike was a Suzuki 800 Intruder. Second bike was a Superhawk. Currently rides a 2004 Harley Deuce. It’s much more on the “chopper” side of the harley line-up with a skinner front tire and a longer rake. Other than that it is fairly similar to Ron’s.

The last time we rode to a wedding was last summer. It was also our first true tour, and the longest ride Tony and I had ever been on. We went up to Boise, ID in two days, spent two days there, and returned in two again. I was still on my first bike (cb750) and it was remarkably well suited for the trip. There were a few main qualities I was still yearning for however, so I did my research and invested in a 2002 Bandit12 only a month ago. Compared to the nighthawk, the power, brakes, suspension, and coolness improvements are just astounding. The bigger tank keeps me from holding everyone else up. And there’s no better way to get used to a new ride than to hit the road…

[Note: These guys are not ones for stopping and taking pictures. Its point A to point B at the quickest legal speed possible; the mission is to pound out miles with efficiency. This highly limited my picture opportunities, so I will try to make it up with descriptions and sounds whenever possible.]
it feels nothing like
how violent it looks from the outside
it's very serene
the ground and the sky are so white
there is no boundary between them
i can't tell you how peaceful it is
shinya kimura

Last edited by snowface; 05-31-2007 at 04:24 AM..
snowface is offline   Reply With Quote