Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
wolffman
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzook DRZ400, Street Triple
Name:
Mendocino to Cabo in 7 days?!?

I am considering a ride on my BMW 1200RT to southern Baja for 3 weeks beginning mid-June. Am I nuts to ride through the heat of inland Baja in June/July? I would not venture off the main highways with the big RT, and do not like riding in anything more than low-ninety degree temps, nor will I ride at night in Baja.

The plan is for about a week down, a week there and a week back...I have family, so would do my sightseeing while in thle La Paz-Cabo area, and not a lot on the ride there or back.

Anyone who has ridden this route in summer with some helpful advice would be great. Gracias.
wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: are why we're here, right?
Name: Hey You
it wouldn't be much fun to me......your time table is too tight and you'd have to ride really fast once in Baja and that can be dangerous....plus it is very hot anywhere away from the west coast and you will be heading inland probably on your first day in Baja......

one thing's for sure, you must check out www.coyotecals.com if you have time to chill a bit...it's worth the extra time

also, to save time on the return, definitely go the extra distance to cross the boarder in Tecate, rather than TJ...you'll save a couple of hours right there!

check advrider.com also, but even though you have the miles eating bike, I think your time table is waaaaay too tight.....although doable.......

"Apexes - how the f**k do they work?!?!"
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
sbk62
Veteran

Motorcycles: R1200GS
Name:
The distance is no problem, you can be in Cabo in from NorCal in 4 days, at a fairly rational pace and only riding during daylight hours. That being said I'd be reluctant to do this ride in June/July though, as temps will be in the triple digits and it'll be like spending your days in a convection oven. Here's a link from a trip I took in January (mid 70's F) along with daily mileage. Good luck and good on you if you go and be sure you post a report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114174

sbk62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Motorcycles: give me wood
Name: Shaniqua
it's only fun if you do it on a moped...

srsly tho, these iron butts just got back http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=163876

Last edited by Lester Green; 05-26-2006 at 04:10 PM..
Lester Green is offline   Reply With Quote