Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #91
chiara
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX10R (road), R1 (track)
Name:
Excellent. Thanks for posting your trip. This is something I want to do someday. Its great to see others doing it.
chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #92
ApexMolester
Veteran

Motorcycles: k5gsxr1k racebike/k6 750 trackbike and many, many more to ride.
Name:
solo, BAD ASS!
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #93
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
Wow. Awesome write up and pics.

Thanks for sharing
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #94
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Sprint ST .. R1.. 450TE
Name:
Thanks for taking the time to share your trip! Would you do it again?
DMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #95
Ogier le Danois
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by DMcTriumph
Thanks for taking the time to share your trip! Would you do it again?
I would, but add another week onto to it.

Darn job getting in the way.

I would also add heated gear, better waterproof gear, bigger hard bags so that I didn't have to bungee anything on. I am now a believer in hard cases only.

Also, Bear repellent spray guns on the bike.

I was pleased with the ease of each border crossing. I had heard a lot of negative stuff regarding solo motorycle travellers getting harassed. And as you could see from my second photo, I am scruffy, dirty and non too pretty. All the border guards were pleasant. The one in Roosville called me crazy though.

Advrider.com has a lot fo great Alaska trip threads, and a lot of great photos. I am pleased at how well some of my pics turned out as my camera is a cheapie and my photo skills are lacking.
Ogier le Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #96
CruisingRam
Veteran

Motorcycles: Several
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Meter Man
Not yet, but GUSGUS a member over there who lives north of Anchorage saw my homemade ADV sticker and we talked for awhile in a Wendys.
GusGus has the exact same real life name as myself. We only met last year, but have heard about each others exploits for years.

Right now, he holds the record for fastest trip IBA from Wassilla to Prudhoe and back- I believe it is 32 hours, non-stop, no sleep, on a BMW GS.

Hey- next time a BARFER heads up here- needs to give me a pm MMKAY?

I will be having a Dalton Hiway record setting trip attempt of my own- I have been up it about 5 times, 3 of them before it was opened to the general public- back then, oil company permission only.
willing to bet that almost all of the bikes that get tossed over the side at that corner and other similar ones could have, in fact, made the corner but that the rider pussied out midcorner and bailed. Which brings us to the second very basic and low level lesson, don't give up on the bike and if you find yourself too hot in a corner keep turning the bike and most likely you will make it. You owe it to yourself to at least try to make it rather than panic and give up like a bitch which is what usually happens.--

Budbandit
CruisingRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #97
Ogier le Danois
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by CruisingRam
GusGus has the exact same real life name as myself. We only met last year, but have heard about each others exploits for years.

Right now, he holds the record for fastest trip IBA from Wassilla to Prudhoe and back- I believe it is 32 hours, non-stop, no sleep, on a BMW GS.

Hey- next time a BARFER heads up here- needs to give me a pm MMKAY?

I will be having a Dalton Hiway record setting trip attempt of my own- I have been up it about 5 times, 3 of them before it was opened to the general public- back then, oil company permission only.
I recalled you being on here about halfway back. GusGus was cool guy, and gave me some great off the beaten path trip ideas.

What rig are you using on the trip up and back? 1,600 miles in 32 hours is hardcore considering the varying condition of the Dalton. Even the chip seal involves avoiding the crater sized potholes.

I would love to try it on a 50cc derbi dirtbike.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #98
Lupin
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2006 BMW GSA
Name:
Sounds like a great ride!

I'll be doing the Dalton Highway next summer as well. I just did a 5,000 mile trip up to Canada last week to try out some new motorcycle friendly camping gear I bought.

How long were you gone for?

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #99
CruisingRam
Veteran

Motorcycles: Several
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Meter Man
I recalled you being on here about halfway back. GusGus was cool guy, and gave me some great off the beaten path trip ideas.

What rig are you using on the trip up and back? 1,600 miles in 32 hours is hardcore considering the varying condition of the Dalton. Even the chip seal involves avoiding the crater sized potholes.

I would love to try it on a 50cc derbi dirtbike.
I have never done it on bike. I have done it in an early 80s Shelby turbo Charger (intercooled 2.2) 2 times,and the rest in my turbo cummins truck. All times were for biz, no choice.

GusGus set the official record on his beemer.

I salvaged my spare V65 via Phill at akadventure tours.

Of the 32 H-Ds with noobs on it that tried this summer, only 9 returned under thier own power, and those a took 5 days to fix well enough for the restof the journey to florida. 3 left via helicopter.

That road is to be respected!
willing to bet that almost all of the bikes that get tossed over the side at that corner and other similar ones could have, in fact, made the corner but that the rider pussied out midcorner and bailed. Which brings us to the second very basic and low level lesson, don't give up on the bike and if you find yourself too hot in a corner keep turning the bike and most likely you will make it. You owe it to yourself to at least try to make it rather than panic and give up like a bitch which is what usually happens.--

Budbandit
CruisingRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #100
Ogier le Danois
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
I have never done it on bike. I have done it in an early 80s Shelby turbo Charger (intercooled 2.2) 2 times,and the rest in my turbo cummins truck. All times were for biz, no choice.

GusGus set the official record on his beemer.

I salvaged my spare V65 via Phill at akadventure tours.

Of the 32 H-Ds with noobs on it that tried this summer, only 9 returned under thier own power, and those a took 5 days to fix well enough for the restof the journey to florida. 3 left via helicopter.

Did they crash? Flat tires?

The road is not that challenging if you take your time. I did 1 day fairbanks to coldfoot. 1 day coldfoot to deadhorse. 1 day deadhorse to coldfoot. 1 day coldfoot to just south of fairbanks, some little town along a river below a bridge.

4 days total. I figure why rush, I rode 3,000 miles to get there, why not enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #101
Sane_Man
Totally Tubular

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: 2003 40th Busa
Name: Pimpin' B
Quote:

That sounds like a typical HD day.

Yes I have a Wide S T A N C E, 29 inches.

"spelling correctly is for folks who are too dumb to think for themselves and can only memorize things" - The Amazing Kickstand

Participants shouldn't be turned off or scared by erections. "They happen." - Cuddle Parties
What is a cuddle party?
Sane_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #102
Thundercat 600R
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 HRC RC-51
Name:
That's the shit man...... Definitely the trip of a lifetime.

Thundercat 600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #103
bicyclekid
is so jaded

Motorcycles: rgv250,klr650,klx250,ktm690e,50cc scootr,royal enfienld 350 bought sold in india,bicycles
Name:
welcometo the club
"on a carbon fiber horse i ride" sebatian ruben
bicyclekid is offline   Reply With Quote