BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 PM   #46
GAMBLER
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: KAW ZG1000 concours, KAW ZR7S, Honda 400f ss, 87 Honda Goldwing ;)
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by SWETNGBLTS
What are the differences between the brand names and what all came with your Canon G5 and why did you go with that one? Where could i find some great deals for higher end cameras like yours? Thanks!
if you buy a digital camera, one thing to remember is buy from a company that makes lenses. canon, nikon, pentax etc. anybody can make the electronics but the lenses are the hard part.

hey tim, canon has lenses for their digitals, and I think your camera has detactable lens. pretty soon you won't carry that old fashioned 35 mil. anymore.
Cars lie to us and tell us we're safe, powerful, and in control. The air-conditioning fans murmur empty assurances and whisper, "Sleep, sleep." Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

By Dave Karlotski

GAMBLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #47
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Founding Member / Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Tim
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamaseanie
Cool pics, to bad I can't handle riding when it's below 50 or so. I guess I'll have to wait till spring time to check out those roads.
Yama, first off !! The secret to riding in colder weather is just being prepared for it. I think I actually love it when it's cool out like this time of year, probably because I can wear my full gear and not be hot. I'm one of the whiners in the middle of summer when it's 1000, I mean 100 degrees out for six months straight. When I first moved out here, I rode year round for several years as didn't own a car. After a while, you get the good gear, warm gloves, electric vest, knecker-chief (sp?) and so on.

Plus everything is a brilliant green and the repetitive rain storms clear out all the haze. Yesterday, the visibility was say 50, 60, 70 miles. You could see clear across to Mt Diablo all day. Less traffic, and no lumbering tourists/campers/etc. Had the road all to myself practically the entire day!
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #48
prolixly
Veteran

Motorcycles: ducati nut:1998 916 track config, 2000 900 SS, 2002 ST4S
Name:
pashnit yer killin me! here on the (l)east coast i've had 8 inches of snow and maybe an inch of rain since i moved here 3+ weeks ago. today i noticed spots of rust starting on my iron brake rotors...on a bike i put 63K miles on in 3 years in cali. sob. anyway, happy b'day, and remember to count your blessings (this goes for all you cali riders).
prolixly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:06 PM   #49
GAMBLER
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: KAW ZG1000 concours, KAW ZR7S, Honda 400f ss, 87 Honda Goldwing ;)
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by prolixly
pashnit yer killin me! here on the (l)east coast i've had 8 inches of snow and maybe an inch of rain since i moved here 3+ weeks ago. today i noticed spots of rust starting on my iron brake rotors...on a bike i put 63K miles on in 3 years in cali. sob. anyway, happy b'day, and remember to count your blessings (this goes for all you cali riders).
yeah but you have great hunting and trapping to look forward to. head to Penna. or Va. good times ahead back there in the winter.
Cars lie to us and tell us we're safe, powerful, and in control. The air-conditioning fans murmur empty assurances and whisper, "Sleep, sleep." Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

By Dave Karlotski

GAMBLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:08 PM   #50
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by GAMBLER
hey tim, canon has lenses for their digitals, and I think your camera has detactable lens. pretty soon you won't carry that old fashioned 35 mil. anymore.
Everyone keeps telling me that!

Ironically, almost all the photography for the pashnit.com site is done with a manual Minolta XG-M with a 28-105mm zoom lens which was given to me couple years back. As for the lenses for this new digital, Yep, another reason to get this camera. Sort of in-between a point & shoot, but not quite the full fledge SLR digital. The lenses actually screw onto the existing one with an adaptor.

I do a lot of panoramics (you may have noticed) so this wide angle lens I might get. It's $200 at best buy, but possibly cheaper via the mail-order houses. The cheapo lens (Digital Optics) is only $99 but hesitant to buy the cheap lens.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #51
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by prolixly
More Hey, I'm originally from Wisconsin so I know exactly what you're talking about. But then again, back there we had go-karts, snowmobiles, cross-country skis, horses, tractors, etc !!

Yours Truly awhile back

And me on the 'pull-behind-cart' I welded up with our Honda Oddesey that we put a 440cc snowmobile motor on.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:51 PM   #52
davidb
Rookie

Motorcycles: 04 boxer replika, guzzi V11 sport
Name:
If you stayed on stony creek road and passed over Pardee dam,you would of rode right over the top of me. I work in the powerhouse below. Nice ridind area too.
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:12 PM   #53
thebusby
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Yellow 2001 ZX-6R (Sold :'( )
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by pashnit
Everyone keeps telling me that!

Ironically, almost all the photography for the pashnit.com site is done with a manual Minolta XG-M with a 28-105mm zoom lens which was given to me couple years back. As for the lenses for this new digital, Yep, another reason to get this camera. Sort of in-between a point & shoot, but not quite the full fledge SLR digital. The lenses actually screw onto the existing one with an adaptor.

I do a lot of panoramics (you may have noticed) so this wide angle lens I might get. It's $200 at best buy, but possibly cheaper via the mail-order houses. The cheapo lens (Digital Optics) is only $99 but hesitant to buy the cheap lens.
Might be worth taking a look at the Canon Digital Rebel(300D) since it is a full SLR and only $900. Also comes with a 24-88mm(around there) lense to boot.
thebusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #54
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by davidb
If you stayed on stony creek road and passed over Pardee dam,you would of rode right over the top of me. I work in the powerhouse below. Nice ridind area too.
Really? Cool! Can I get a tour?
Old 12-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #55
kneeSparX
Pixel Mover

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: gave 'em all up.
Name: Moldy
great pics