Old 09-05-2004, 12:24 AM   #31
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Founding Member / Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Tim
Curves along Wildwood Road

200 Series tire. Need lots of meat for this ride.

Last edited by pashnit; 09-05-2004 at 12:41 AM..
pashnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:25 AM   #32
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Up and over Highway 3 - Hayfork Pass - more filming the Aprilia with Jeff piloting to the top.

View from the top of Hayfork Pass.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:26 AM   #33
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Once Jeff & I hit the summit to join up with the rest of the group, the tires were so hot, all the little rocks and gravel instantly stuck to the tire. And the rear brake (wave) rotor sat there creaking and cracking as it dissapated all the built up heat. Fun road. Built special for big bikes like the Hayabusa.

I think eating is as much a part of touring as the riding is!

At the Saw Mill Bar & Grill in Weaverville.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #34
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

The ceiling above the bar is covered in dollar bills, all proclaiming some innoculous message from some person who pinned it up there. Look for the one that says "PASHNIT was here". Anyone can add another, only cost ya a buck.

All the dollar bills

The group

Old 09-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #35
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Immanuel, Steve, Jeff, guy on Jeff's shoulder, Sten

Highway 299 through the Trinity River Canyon is but another great ride in a string of great rides. To the north are the Trinity Alps which extend up and over 7000 feet- very few roads- quite simply a virtual wilderness. Yes, they actually have a great deal of wilderness in California. No roads, no people, just Bigfoot running around with his Bigfoot buddies.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #36
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

The Tuono & Busa in Willow Creek

Everyone was having a great time- the smiles speak for themselves! Behind this bunch of goofs is a 15 foot tall statue of Bigfoot.

The Big Foot Museum in Willow Creek is said to have the largest collection of Bigfoot artifacts and memorabilia in the world.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #37
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

After the stop in Willow Creek we made for another road that left jaws dropped and attained a new high in the competition for the best backroad in NorCal. Just a few miles west of Willow Creek is Titlow Hill Road, aka Forest Road 1. Beyond imagination. Beyond words. Beyond my ability to describe, and I've spent years trying.

Just to introduce the ride is a view that extends off to the Pacific Ocean, 35 miles away across the mountainous ridgelines.

Yes, we are parked smack dab in the middle of the road. It's that type of road. We rode the entire 54 mile length, and came upon two other opposing vehicles right at the beginning, then not a soul for the entire ride.

Oddly enough, it seems like that's how it should be on a ride like this!

Old 09-05-2004, 12:29 AM   #38
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

While this road is a bit of a goat trail, it's still easily passable on any type of bike, a group of Harleys even passed going the opposite direction. So narrow in some parts, that the vegatation growth was threatening to grow clear across the road.
There's a reason why we motorcyclists flock to roads like this, despite the need to brave the gravel, bumps, and intense hairpins- of which there were plently.

Just to give you an idea.

These 3-D maps are pretty cool, huh.

Made with http://www.delorme.com 3-D mapping. Extremely time consuming to make, but they look great!

Old 09-05-2004, 12:30 AM   #39
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Headed southward, as you ascend- you begin to get glimpses of the opposite direction looking east across the Trinity Alps. I coulda swore I saw snow, even in August- could be my imagination though. The mountain tops were a long way off.

We had to stop, and just admire the view, and burn up room in our memory cards.

Looking east into the Trinity Alps that cover this portion of Northern California which extend up to 7000 feet. If when you think of California, you think concrete jungles like Los Angeles, you really need to get out more. :lol: There's a whole 'nother world out there!

Dusty taking it all in. Always been a sucker for a good view.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:31 AM   #40
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Nothing quite like this road anywhere in this region of California. Believe me, I've spent years looking.

Communicators really come into play here, as I followed Jeff on the Busa filming our spirited ride, and I was calling out danger spots along the way to the riders bringing up the rear.

"Gravel, gravel, gravel, right turn" came the call. There was quite a bit in a blind hairpin. "Pothole, pothole" came the call as a massive pothole appeared in the middle of the road. Hit that thing at speed, and you could bend a rim. Wasn't too bad actually, and everyone negotiated the hazards well.

As sun went low on the horizon bathing the scene in a brilliant yellow light photographers salivate over, we stopped once more on the top of the ridgeline with stunning views in either direction. Simply amazing. A sense of awe, a desire to freeze this moment in time.

The Tuono atop South Fork Mountain Road - Forest Road 1

Old 09-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #41
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

South Fork Mountain Road

The Road Star atop South Fork Mountain Road.

I once had someone ask me how fast we go, and that they felt they wouldn't be able to keep up if we did go at a spirited pace.

But this is a bit unfounded. Back in the Marine Corps we used to have a saying, "...you're only as fast as the slowest man." And this is a fundamental rule in group riding. We go as fast as the slowest man, and even the big cruisers have a great time. Everyone rides at a pace they're comfortable with.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #42
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

When we hit Highway 36, we made our way back out to the ocean as darkness fell. Night riding is a bit of an odd thing. Some riders like it, others hate it. Fortunately, this section of Hwy 36 has reflectors built into the road which lit the way. Reaching Fortuna, it was off to dinner at the Eel River Brewing Company and a few beers were in order.

Another day dawned with the group riding through the Avenue of the Giants- surrounded by the fantastic redwoods, of which several of the riders had never been there before.

Stopping to take it all in.

These massive trees always inspire, and you have to just marvel at the size.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #43
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Just massive trees that can weigh up to 1,000,000 pounds. Each.

One of my favorite facts is near Calistoga (think Napa), there is a 3000 year old Redwood tree, that was petrified 3.4 million years ago. It's said that redwoods once covered nearly all of North America. Then 10,000 years ago, the last Ice Age wiped out nearly all of them and permanently changed the climate. Now they are found only along Pacific Coastline which is said to have sheltered the trees from the effects of the last Ice Age.

Jeff took off on the Aprilia, saying he'd meet us on the other side. 'Took off' doesn't quite describe it- shot himself out of a canon. Something like that- wish I had a sound byte of those pipes! He said he wanted to relive being 7 years old and experience the closest he could get to what it'd feel like to ride a sky cycle (or whatever they were called) just like in Return of the Jedi through the redwoods (which were filmed in the redwoods).

George Lucas would have been proud.

Then it was off to ride that thrilling section of Highway 1 out to the ocean on that glassy smooth pavement. Afterwards, it goes something like this. The bikes all pull in at different times since we get sort of spread out. Off comes the helmet to reveal this mile wide grin. I suppose there's no sense even trying to decribe it.

I had the bike leaned over so far, I scrapped the fairing. At least now I know which hard part touches down first.

Don't try this at home.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:34 AM   #44
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Sten scrapped the floor boards a bit too on the super twisty section of Hwy 1.

Once everyone reached the ocean, it was time to decompress and bask in the beauty of that blue, blue sea of water.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:35 AM   #45
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Contributor

Oh, and Shawn just saved a bunch of money on his car insurance.

Over the course of the weekend, I try to spend time photographing each bike. Each one of course presents a new challenge to snap a decent pic of it. People are one thing, but motorcycles are art.

Immanual's VFR- sharp looking bike!

Last edited by pashnit; 09-05-2004 at 12:41 AM..