Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
crazybob
Lanesharing is caring

Motorcycles: V-Strom Comfy Couch Commuter & Dual Ninja 250s
Name:
Options for the seriously disabled

Disabled Rider Gets Robotic Arm in Oakland

(That's Oakland, PA)

I was browsing the news on Slashdot this morning and came across this story:
Quote:
A simple act for most people proved to be a major advance in two decades of research that has proven to be the stuff of science fiction.

Mr. Hemmes' success in putting the robotic hand in the waiting hand of Ms. Schaffer, 27, of Philadelphia, represented the first time a person with quadriplegia has used his mind to control a robotic arm so masterfully.
What made it all the more relevant was the next paragraph:
Quote:
The 30-year-old man from Connoquenessing Township, Butler County, hadn't moved his arms, hands or legs since a motorcycle accident seven years earlier.
Mr. Hemmes became quadriplegic July 11, 2004, apparently after a deer darted onto the roadway, causing him to swerve his motorcycle onto gravel where his shoulder hit a mailbox, sending him flying headfirst into a guardrail. The top of his helmet became impaled on a guardrail I-beam, rendering his head motionless while his body continued flying, snapping his neck at the fourth cervical vertebra.

A passer-by found him with blue lips and no signs of breathing. Mr. Hemmes was flown by rescue helicopter to UPMC Mercy and diagnosed with quadriplegia -- a condition in which he had lost use of his limbs and his body below the neck or shoulders. He had to learn how to breathe on his own. His doctor told him it was worst accident he'd ever seen in which the person survived.

But after the process of adapting psychologically to quadriplegia, Mr. Hemmes chose to pursue a full life, especially after he got a device to operate a computer and another to operate a wheelchair with head motions.
A month ago, I went down myself on Redwood during my evening commute when a deer jumped out in a turn... fortunately I escaped with just a broken clavicle (quickly repaired by surgery) and a badly sprained ankle. However, having read Adam's unfortunate incident (and subsequent pow-pow-powerwheels augmentation), this made me wonder if there's some better robotic bling in some riders' futures, and a better future for them.

"BARF: We're not your shoulder to cry on if you're a fucking idiot." ~compassrose

I used to think stunting was retarded. I now realize that stunting's pretty cool, it's just stunters that are retarded. ~Chim Chim

Have you ever considered attaching a breathalyzer to your computer?! ~Johndicezx9
crazybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Name: Paul
There does seem to be a few options out there mentioned around BARF. I personally saw a sidecar for a wheelchair but someone else was the pilot and some other BARFers saw (or maybe thought of) the same setup but the controls were on the sidecar as well.
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Learn why wearing gear is so important, check out my story here.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
NuclearPuppy
Rider

Motorcycles: Nighthawk 750
Name: Steve
Sorry to hear about your shoulder.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
Anyone hear from Adam (carries an axe?)

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
I stopped by his house yesterday.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
Thanks for the link. Cool stuff! Sorry to hear about your accident.
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
1footdown
a little gimpy

Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
There does seem to be a few options out there mentioned around BARF. I personally saw a sidecar for a wheelchair but someone else was the pilot and some other BARFers saw (or maybe thought of) the same setup but the controls were on the sidecar as well.
check this one out.

http://www.backwoodsrider.blogspot.com/
1footdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
michaeljee

Motorcycles: honda
Name:
Very nice information here. Moreover as I see, this question is very actual for many people indeed. Personally I totally agree with author opinion about this subject and I think that it would be really interesting to create such discussion with other this website visitors. Anyway thanks a lot one more time for the great and informative publication. And I will definitely be waiting for more such nice entries like this one from you.