Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Whatever you let me borrow
Name: Nic
Supermoto Highside = Broken collarbone :(

Sunday my buddy Dave and I finally had free time together to ride our "new" 450's at Sonoma. Got there at noon, beautiful day, and a bunch of good guys showed up. Had the warmers on, but only for about 10 mins, then they called for SM to go out. Excited to ride, we shot out there with a few slow laps. Figured I was up to temp by now Im starting to get on it. Came into 1 a bit hot and ran it in the dirt, this is where I dusted my rear...Came into 2, and when I flicked it left the rear just shot out. Happened so fast, but I was basically on the ground so I thought I was just going to slide it out...nope The bike hooked up and launched me onto my left shoulder and head, felt it pop, bounced around and slid to a stop. Didnt get knocked out thanks to my fuggin awesome Shoei. Got up knowing something broke and the guys came and grabbed me. The family next to me helped take off some of my gear and started to grab everything I needed for the hospital trip. Dave drove my truck and off we went as he was remembering how to drive stick
Got to Kaiser and got seen within 5 minutes, that was awesome. From there we waiting for everything to be done for about 5 hours. I did get the worse IV ever though, that was fun leaving a small pool of blood on the floor Though, the best part of this story is I got my suit off without them cutting it up! And its only took a couple hours to wedge it off while screaming like a little girl, lol.
After we got home that super awesome family brought Daves truck home along with my bike and all my stuff. I made sure to give them a bottle of our wine to say thank you. I feel very fortunate to be friends and know these people in the racing community. Special thanks to Jeff Antoff for keeping your cool and handling everything like a boss, Dave Christensen for taking me to the hospital and helping me with so much that day, and the family who took care of all my stuff and brought it back to my house.
No one ever wants to get hurt, but when you do in the SM family, you can count on people being there for you.

SO! As of now im a bit effed for work, but luckily I have medical. Researching surgery now and already super bored, lol. If anyone can chime in with good orthopedic surgeons that are covered by Kaiser please let me know.

Here are pics for your enjoyment

Got so scared I got a fear boner!

After many doses of drugs...ready for bed...

Neek - SMUSA #143
NeeksRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Name: Paul
Damn dude. That's a pretty complete break.
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Learn why wearing gear is so important, check out my story here.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

And it feels completely shitty
lol
Neek - SMUSA #143
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
th3_d0c
SupermotoUSA #603

Motorcycles: 2002 R6 / '06 yz450f sumo
Name:
MAYBE IF YOU WORE THE CORRECT GEAR THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN! - Says every barf always.....

Totally shitty, no worries, you'll be healed in no time.
th3_d0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

I've seen that before, but in this case I was in a full 1 piece with proper armor. It only does so much ��
Neek - SMUSA #143
Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Killin_ix
Veteran

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Ninja 400
Name: Eric
Oh man! Could have been bad. Kaiser surprising took good and quick care.

Heal up Nic
Killin_ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

I know right?! They saw me right away AND gave me drugs so I could take my suit off without them cutting it! Haha. Got lucky

Thanks man!
Neek - SMUSA #143
Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
done that too, sleeping hurt
brohugs
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
kmaggy
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: Italian hipster
Name: Kris
Damn, you got seen in 5 min? When I high sided on my mtb this past weekend I landed on my head/shoulder and it took Kaiser ER atleast 40 min. to see me, then another 30 min to get xrayed and CT scan... anyways crashing is never fun yet it is inevitable. Heal up !

Last edited by kmaggy; 01-30-2014 at 04:58 PM..
kmaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
scotinexcile
Veteran

Motorcycles: Street: 2017 R6, 1982 RD350LC
Name: Alan
Get it PLATTED ASAP. Done both mine, 2nd one the shoulder shattered so I had to have the plate re-done after 7 weeks Once I got the new plate in I raced at THill 10 days later for the last round of the year
scotinexcile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

I ended up not getting surgery. Everyone I talked to at kaiser didn't want to do it, and I couldn't get a get referral for a good surgeon. It's been 3 weeks now and been wearing the shit out of the brace. It feels like the bone is mostly back together, and I'm going for a follow X-ray soon to see how it's doing. Dying to ride and work... ��
Neek - SMUSA #143
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
bpowa
Veteran

Motorcycles: YARRRRR-1
Name:
Man i literally feel ya. Besides the crying like a baby part. Lol

Look like you have a clean break. Mines broke in 3 pieces and the one splinted bone was poking at my nerves leading to my neck. One to ten pain scale on the nerve part is 9. Luckly in only happens every 15 minutes lasting 5 seconds. Its enough to put me on my knees. I got surgery 8 days after. I had to wait it out for delivery of my 1st newborn.

Right after my crash i immediately know my collar is broken. I can hear the bone crunching when i move. Teeth grinding sensation and pain. Get it fixed ASAP. Surgery is 2 hours for me. Yours should be less since its a clean break. Recovery varies i was out and about right after. Pain killers help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	444912  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
bpowa
Veteran

Name:
Here's before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	444914  
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
NeeksRR
Veteran

Contributor

^ fuggin ouch dude...

That bust near your shoulder was the one pokin at your nerves I bet. Im basically fully recovered now with just being a little weak just from not using the muscles. Had a few massages and back working construction and busting wheelies. Haha

You'll be back at that point soon too. You have enough screws in there to build a freaking house! haha, feel better man!
Neek - SMUSA #143
Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
bpowa
Veteran

Name:
Lol. I missed the date you posted. I should be recovered in a month. Can't do any excercise at the moment. Just stationary biking. I don't want to ever go through this again. I'll be up and riding in 6 weeks hope i have all the parts to put the bike back together.