Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 08-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #61
Wormwood
Is right behind you

AMA #: #2809532
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 2 shiny ones
Name: Edmundo
Sorry to hear about the damage. You gotta try hard to break a femur. Lots of cool stories and advice... here is my take.

Take the pain meds as needed to manage pain and prevent breakthrough once you get started in PT. While you are taking opiates daily use a laxative.

Do not put weight on it. None..... 0... nada. If the ortho surgeon says 90 days make it so. I know it sucks from experience but many non healers are the result of using the limb during the healing process.

My last injury was classic barf extreme to the knee and fibula with nerve damage. I was on opiates for the full 90 days plus a few weeks into PT. I tapered off slowly but still experienced slight withdrawal symptoms. YMMV.

Good company, puzzles, chess, netflix, books etc.

Best of luck with the healing.

Wormwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #62
mosquito
Above all I like to play.

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 91GSF400
Name: IamTheBug!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
That's not gonna happen on real pain killers

Op better add some fiber

Percocet is just Oxy with Para - still widely available
Hahahaha!

OK, I didn't go there, but hey!

OP, try to keep a regular sleep / eat / wake / exercise schedule.

[QUOTE=crick;8895072]... i want a freak rain storm to test my crotch too ...[/QUOTE][QUOTE]Air Patrol 51A: "Holy Captain Kirk motorcycle passing Prius heading up hill"[/QUOTE][SIZE="2"][B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]ˇˇˇPowah[/COLOR] to the [COLOR="Navy"]Posters!!![/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #63
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Motorcycles: '05 ZRX1200
Name: Ed
Get well soon.

Honorary Member of the TMU (Trouble Makers Union) local 650.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #64
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
I'm a blessed dude and have an amazing girlfriend on my side willing to fight through this with me
Times like this you realize someone's worth.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #65
dagle
Veteran

Motorcycles: Squidzuki
Name: Silas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
+1 for online courses. We've talked about it before briefly, but now would be a great time to start studying programming. Coursera offers free programming classes from MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, etc. HackerRank has practice exercises for various things. Why not shift careers while you recover?
+1 if you're trying to maintain productivity
dagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #66
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Thanks for the information. I keep hearing information from my opioid addicted clients that one of their favorites isn't available on the streets anymore. I will definately include percoset in my current assessment.......
New formulations driven by the anti-abuse movement. They're reformulating a number of the opiates so they can't be crushed and snorted easily. A lot of reformulations in development right now, as well as a few new drugs that will be coming out in the next few years. Gonna displace all the old ones.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #67
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
New formulations driven by the anti-abuse movement. They're reformulating a number of the opiates so they can't be cold water extracted easily. A lot of reformulations in development right now, as well as a few new drugs that will be coming out in the next few years. Gonna displace all the old ones.
ftfy

most opiods are sold with a secondary in it. The secondary (aspirin or Tylenol or ____) is a toxic abuse deterrent. Cold water extraction precipitates the secondary under near freezing temperatures allowing the primary to be poured off.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #68
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

OP, BTW, I've now broken both of my femurs and, at least in my experience, once it's set and stable, there was very little actual pain unless I dropped the leg or something like that. The pain will get better quick. I struggled with the lack of andrenalin store, much worse the first time.

Get a few compelling books and read, read, read. Boys in the Boat, The Coldest Winter, The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window, etc.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #69
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
ftfy

most opiods are sold with a secondary in it. The secondary (aspirin or Tylenol or ____) is a toxic abuse deterrent. Cold water extraction precipitates the secondary under near freezing temperatures allowing the primary to be poured off.
It's much more complicated than that. Many of the new abuse deterrent drug formulations have a variety of anti tampering methods, most of which relate to the API formulation itself and both it's release pattern and ability to be broken down into a form that can be abused for a quick high, including crushing, snorting, smoking or heating for injection. I'm actually working with a client right now working on this.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #70
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Quote:
It's much more complicated than that. Many of the new abuse deterrent drug formulations have a variety of anti tampering methods, most of which relate to the API formulation itself and both it's release pattern and ability to be broken down into a form that can be abused for a quick high, including crushing, snorting, smoking or heating for injection. I'm actually working with a client right now working on this.
very cool - The company I do some work for is in the "preventing them from getting their hands on it" business
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #71
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
very cool - The company I do some work for is in the "preventing them from getting their hands on it" business
I actually think this work is going to have a bigger impact on drug abuse in this country than anything the "war on drugs" ever had.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #72
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290

Quote:
I actually think this work is going to have a bigger impact on drug abuse in this country than anything the "war on drugs" ever had.
absolutely - to clarify, we're in the medical space not the LEO space (we manage diversion with analytics)
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #73
Eye Heart Pasta
Erik changed my life

Reads Mostly User
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Ducati ST4s (Weekends), V-Strom (Weekdays)
Name: Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
Do not put weight on it. None..... 0... nada. If the ortho surgeon says 90 days make it so. I know it sucks from experience but many non healers are the result of using the limb during the healing process.
+1.
When I had my tibial plateau fracture last year, the surgeon said no weight-bearing for XX days. He re-iterated it forcefully enough at the next check-up that I took him seriously. At the third check-up he said "Oh, you actually listened to me. You can go to 50% weight-bearing now." I got the impression he can tell when people cheat his orders.

Also, prune juice worked wonders for my... uh... irregularity. One 12 ounce glass and wait about an hour. I'll be honest, It's not the best tasting beverage in the world, but it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it.
Eye Heart Pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #74
Go2Trackdays
No speed limits or cars!

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Name:
Glad you're still alive! I also broke my femur but it wasn't sticking out...

I don't know if you're going to get the Ti rod in your leg like I did. They had me up hobbling around fairly quickly with a walker, but only "toe touches" for quite a while.

Try to stay as positive as you can about the situation!

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorsickle
I don't wanna die, just wanna ride on my motorcyy

Anything not attempted remains impossible
Go2Trackdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #75
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go2Trackdays View Post
Glad you're still alive! I also broke my femur but it wasn't sticking out...

I don't know if you're going to get the Ti rod in your leg like I did. They had me up hobbling around fairly quickly with a walker, but only "toe touches" for quite a while.
I got the ti rod from knee to hip the first time (still got it) and they had me out of bed on crutches within 24 hours.