Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
RT_Russ
Half Fast at best......

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 01 R1100S
Name: Russ
Attorney or not? Please advise me......

So, after a nice overnighter to the Hwy 36 area with Rodr and crew http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...481994&page=21

I got taken out by a Prius. Paramedics cut all of my gear off (expect for the small dangly bits), put me on a back board and trucked me off to the Trauma unit at Santa Rosa Memorial.

I'm currently at home, on the mend, shopping for replacement gear online etc. The big question is whether to lawyer up or not? I have Geico coverage and they are being great taking care of things and will seek reimbursement from AAA (other party). I am looking for advice from those that have been here before me. Should I trust insurance or lawyer up?

Russ
RT_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
I think with the injuries and all the gear damage it would be a good ides to at least get a consultation with a good M/C lawyer.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Hope you're mending well...

You should be able to get an initial consult for free, and insurance will probably not volunteer to pay for things like pain and suffering and lost wages... so sure, give it a shot.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
NB0tt
Veteran

AMA #3302970
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: r dumb
Name:
I tried to not do the lawyer thing when I got hit. The insurance company were dicks and so I ended up having to get one anyway. Def find one now.
NB0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
jpc647

Motorcycles: sv650
Name:
Def. get one. Agreed, they probably won't pay for gear, etc. Better to get the consult and go from there. Get two from two different attorneys if you need to.
jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Crjunkee
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 650, Cr500 street legal. CRF100 play bike
Name: ED
I will tell you this. I work in a chiropractors office. we do lot of personnel injury cases. Things get done much quicker with a lawyer.
Was the police called
If so who did they find at fault.

If it was the other person definitely get one.
If you where then that's up to you then.
Just make sure your bills are covered before you settle.
I have seen a few people get screwed over as they where not able to cover There bills because the other party had cheap insurance and they settled early

Last edited by Crjunkee; 08-26-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Crjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
rl_sy
RiderzLaw Attorney

BARF Sponsor

Motorcycles: '15 Monster 821 '15 KTM RC390 '05 Duc 749 '09 Yam vStar 950 '65 R. Enfield GT 250 (projec
Name: Sy
If you hadn't been hurt, and all you were worried about was your bike and your gear, you generally don't need a lawyer. But as soon as there are medical bills incurred -- even if you are fortunate enough to have good health insurance -- competent legal help is a good idea. There are a lot of pitfalls, and a $5k check from an insurance company (to randomly chose a payoff amount) could cost you a lot more in the long run. For example, your health insurance carrier probably has a right to reimbursement if the injuries were the result of an auto accident.

Make sure, whoever you hire, doesn't take any attorneys fees for property damage (i.e., your motorcycle, helmet, riding gear, etc.) If that's not clear in the retainer agreement, it's a sign that they are not to be trusted.

Best of luck in a speedy recovery.
rl_sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Unicorn Power
My cat uses toilets

AMA #: 1075923
Contributor

Motorcycles: require repairs
Name: Mr. Hough
If you do hire a lawyer, which personally I do advise - or at least get a consult, a good one worth their salt will tell you to not say anything more about it here or on social media, in case things go to trial, etc., or even if they don't progress that far just in case.

If you have posted any photos or posts to FB, etc., I'd remove them.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #9
rl_sy
RiderzLaw Attorney

BARF Sponsor

Motorcycles: '15 Monster 821 '15 KTM RC390 '05 Duc 749 '09 Yam vStar 950 '65 R. Enfield GT 250 (projec
Name: Sy
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Power View Post
If you do hire a lawyer, which personally I do advise - or at least get a consult, a good one worth their salt will tell you to not say anything more about it here or on social media, in case things go to trial, etc., or even if they don't progress that far just in case.

If you have posted any photos or posts to FB, etc., I'd remove them.
Great advice!
rl_sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
+1 on unicorn power
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Burning1
I'm scareoused!

Contributor

Motorcycles: GS500E, K1300GT
Name: Chris
I checked your other thread. Looks like you had broken ribs? If so, yes, you should talk to a lawyer. While you're insurance company will probably do a decent job of collecting for your bike and medical bills, a lawyer will help recover for a lot of your other expenses / losses.

FWIW, the other drivers liability will cover your gear, bike, etc.

I also recommend you follow the other advise here... Delete this thread, delete your other thread, and do not discuss this accident online. There's a good chance the other insurance company has already archived these comments. They will use it against you.
Burning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Hi Russ,

I'd highly recommend contacting an attorney - in fact, one of our newest BARF sponsors is one who I'd highly recommend - they are riders themselves, and focus on injury cases. They'll give you an honest assessment of the situation. Pretty cool guys outside of a court as well The website is http://www.riderzlaw.com/ I'll PM you the personal contact info for Sy as well, good dude and he'll take care of you.

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #13
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Any injury you have may impact your future ability to earn. You don't know. If it's just a bike, no biggie, when it involves your livelihood, get a lawyer. And don't mention the accident online or in the media.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
summitdog
Motorcycle Lawyer

Motorcycles: GSXR 50, GSXR 400, CBR 400, VFR 400, GS 750, Honda XVL600 (Transalp), KTM 950 Super Enduro
Name: Scotty
Russ,

It is unfortunate that you were taken out. I hope you heal completely and quickly. A couple of notes:
1) Keep a pain diary of all of the pain, pain meds, loss of opportunity (not being able to do what you normally do), lost nights of sleep, etc.
2) Take plenty of pictures of your injuries (to include your property damage)
3) If you have an appointment with the DR., don't miss it. (The insurance company will say that if your injury was soooo bad then you would not have missed the appointment)
4) If something does not feel right, go to the Dr. Don't wait to see if it feels better in a week or two.
5) Keep track of lost time from work.

If you have any questions, feel free to call my office and speak to me or Angelo.

Scotty
408-920-6300

Scotty Storey, Attorneys at Law
247 North Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112
408-920-6300 / 800-264-4379
sstorey@scottystorey.com
Former AFM Secretary of the Board and Race #733
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Name: D
I don't have much to add but I can say that Santa Rosa Memorial was the saving point of my life. They are amazing.. I hope you heal well.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote