Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted

Old 04-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
kakkman

Motorcycles: 2017 Kawasaki Z125
Name: khory
WTB: Cheap/Starter bike

Hello,

I will be moving to San Francisco in 2 weeks and I'm interested in finding a cheap motorcycle. I will only be in the area for 3 months, so i don't need anything extravagant.

Looking for any ninja 250, GS500, SV650, etc etc (preferably not a cruiser but willing to keep my options open) for around $ 1500 or less.

I don't mind about cosmetics, small scratches or bumps or bruises. I'm just interested in finding something that will leave me trouble free for the short period of time.

Thanks!
kakkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Welcome! Some friendly advice... I'd advice stretching your budget just a little bit, especially for a new bike, and especially if you aren't mechanically inclined and/or don't have a place to wrench. At the $1,500 you're going to be looking at tired, older bikes that will likely have been neglected and therefore need a lot of maintenance parts soon, such as tires, brakes, fuel lines, carb cleanings, etc. $2,000 seems to be the sweet spot, in my experience, for good condition bikes with a few drawbacks (maybe a low-speed fall, high mileage, owner looking for a quick sale).

Don't forget to factor in budget for decent quality gear (check out Craigslist and the classifieds here for lightly used gear at deep discounts) and insurance!
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
kakkman

Thanks for the suggestions 295566.

I will be bringing all of my current gear with me! No needs to worry about that. Also insurance is cheap as i've been riding for over 3 years now with no tickets and will be looking at mostly old (preferrably < 15 years old), cheap to insure bikes.

I can do 2000, I'm just not interested in spending much for something i will only own for less than 3 months, as I'll be returning to my current bike after returning to the east coast. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as well, but won't have the luxury of bringing my full tool set with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Welcome! Some friendly advice... I'd advice stretching your budget just a little bit, especially for a new bike, and especially if you aren't mechanically inclined and/or don't have a place to wrench. At the $1,500 you're going to be looking at tired, older bikes that will likely have been neglected and therefore need a lot of maintenance parts soon, such as tires, brakes, fuel lines, carb cleanings, etc. $2,000 seems to be the sweet spot, in my experience, for good condition bikes with a few drawbacks (maybe a low-speed fall, high mileage, owner looking for a quick sale).

Don't forget to factor in budget for decent quality gear (check out Craigslist and the classifieds here for lightly used gear at deep discounts) and insurance!
Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
C8H18
Rookie

Motorcycles: VFR 800
Name:
1500 is plenty for good pre 08 ninja 250's in this area
C8H18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
bikes in the bay area are overpriced for similar models even 100 miles away.

we are fortunate to have 2 branches of MotoGuild in the bay area, the original on Treasure Island, and a satellite in San Jose, should you need to put some elbow grease into your new bike

california is BIG, and this thing is surprisingly nimble for the size and will gobble up the miles of slab you need to traverse to get to the fun stuff.

it's also barely broken in, and a pretty good deal IMO (i like goldwings)

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...5#post10077485

not mine, no affiliation
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
kakkman

Appreciate the heads up! Most likely will stick around the city, muir woods to corte madera area. Might head out to tahoe once or twice to visit family but will otherwise be a city commuter. Nice looking bike though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
bikes in the bay area are overpriced for similar models even 100 miles away.

we are fortunate to have 2 branches of MotoGuild in the bay area, the original on Treasure Island, and a satellite in San Jose, should you need to put some elbow grease into your new bike

california is BIG, and this thing is surprisingly nimble for the size and will gobble up the miles of slab you need to traverse to get to the fun stuff.

it's also barely broken in, and a pretty good deal IMO (i like goldwings)

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...5#post10077485

not mine, no affiliation
Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Christian
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: KTM 690R, KTM 950ADV
Name:
Not a beginner bike, but I've got a CBR1000F for sale
$1800 stock ($2000 with Corbin seat and luggage).
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
zixaq
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ6
Name: Scott
I'll have an SV650 up for sale probably later this week, although I'm going to be looking for closer to 2k than to 1.5.

If you've been riding for a few years the SV is a great bike for getting around the city. So is anything else in the 600-650 class.

If you won't be crossing a bridge or getting on the highway, the Scoot service works fine. (scoot.co)

Last edited by zixaq; 04-30-2018 at 08:24 PM..
zixaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
ex-walker
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fj09
Name: Jesse
I have a 2002 zr7 I would let go for $1500. I wanted $2000 firm, but if I don't have to deal with putting it for sale I will let it go for $1500. I bought this bike for my son last year. Paid $2200 plus $600 for the shop to go through it.I had ultimat motor sports go over the hole bike, including going through the carbs before I let my son ride it.the bike runs and looks good . The only thing wrong with it is it has a good dent in the tank. Previous owner said it got knocked over in a parking garage. My son moved to Seattle to get his master's, so now i was going to sell it. It has about 8500 miles on it ,Tags are current, pink in hand. I thought it was a great starter bike, cheap,easy to ride and plenty of bike to go down the freeway.

Last edited by ex-walker; 05-09-2018 at 06:03 PM..
ex-walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
1fastmexican
Ride Fast Take Chances

8% Contributor

Motorcycles: Race only 08 R6
Name: Oscar
I have a 2008 Ninja 250 $2000.
Vortex vortexracing.com
Zero Gravity zerogravity-racing.com

NEED A TOW CALL Race Pace MotorSports
1fastmexican is offline   Reply With Quote