BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Notices

Old 07-31-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
seldredg
Seasoned

Motorcycles: Husqvarna Te 630 Gas Gas 300 BMW F800 GSA (soon)
Name:
QuietOn noise-cancelling earbuds - I like them

I've worn foam ear plugs of various types for years, but I was not happy with how well they worked with a recent motorcycle that was mechanically louder and offered less wind protection. I started investigating active noise cancelling solutions and decided on QuietOn earbuds. Other products combined speakers with noise canceling, and I wanted only noise canceling. I didn't want other functions that might make the noise cancelling less effective. I bought the QuietOn 2 earbuds. They are small and fit well, and are not affected by a motorcycle helmet. I had no problem wearing them for hours at a time. And best of all, they worked better than expected. I wished I'd bought them sooner. As stated by QuietOn, they are more effective against low frequency noises, but they have a noticeable effect in the whole range. They were very effective at reducing and softening the irritating bark of the engine. A pleasant surprise was that with them inserted and turned on, I could still hear normal conversation, even while wearing a helmet. (They're easy to turn on and off.) A charge easily lasts a full day of riding. I used a small battery to recharge them while camping, They recharge quickly and easily in their case, using a standard USB cable. They cost about $175.
seldredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
greenmonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Name: Ed
I have the Nonoise ear plugs that cost about $20. I’ve tried them a few times but maybe I’m not inserting them deep enough into my ear canals, they don’t work to my satisfaction.
Have you tried these types of plugs? Would you say the QuietOn’s are far superior?

Last edited by greenmonster; 07-31-2021 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: …
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
greenmonster
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Name: Ed
I just checked their website, they seem pretty cool. The latest version is $199 so a little pricey but probably in line with custom made ear plugs you get at moto shows.
I wonder how they stack up against noise canceling ear buds that can play music?
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418
Contributor +++++++

Motorcycles: '14 KTM 1190R
Name: Chris
seldredg: The website says they're primarily designed for sleeping: how do you feel they handle the high sound pressure levels in a helmet at speed? I've measured mine at over 115db, primarily from wind noise. I've only tried the Bose QuietControl 30 earbuds, but they get overloaded and make a wired fluttering noise at anything over 90db.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity."
- Isaac Asimov
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
seldredg
Seasoned

Name:
I don't know how they compare to earbuds that also play music, or voice. I wanted only active noise canceling. They are most effective, noticeably so, for low frequency sounds (engines, snoring--sometimes similar from what my wife says). This is generally true for active noise canceling. I looked into this a little online. High frequency noises are harder to do. I still get wind noise, although it is reduced a little. The best thing I found, by accident, for reducing wind noise was a good windshield. I had an adjustable Madstad windshield on my KLR 650. In the high position it put the air over the top and around the sides, and the noise reduction was considerable compared to what I have now--a small windshield on a Husky 630 that lets air hit my helmet still. On the KLR I rarely wore ear plugs.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
seldredg
Seasoned

Name:
When I bought, a few months ago, they had versions 2 and 3. 3 is the newer version, smaller, but with the same technology as I understand it. The 2s were on sale.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
I'm completely ignorant about noise cancelling technology.

Does the technology just reduce the perceptible noise level, or does it actually reduce the noise level that damages ears over time as well. Not sure if I worded this correctly...

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
seldredg
Seasoned

Name:
The device actively creates a sound vibration with a frequency exactly the opposite of what it detects, such that the two waves cancel each other out. Go to this page and scroll down. You'll see some diagrams of how the device works. Could also just Google of course to get other manufactures information. But the diagrams are pretty simple, and it my ears it work as described.

https://quieton.com/technology/
Old 08-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
mgt

Motorcycles: Duc
Name:
Do you feel that the noise canceling earbuds still allow you to sense other vehicles in terms of safety? I would be concerned that they may block hearing other vehicles and that might feel dangerous? What do you think? Did you notice, or feel at risk in this regard?
mgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
seldredg
Seasoned

Name:
I did wonder about that, but it hasn't been a problem, and I don't feel unsafe at all. Riding a bike is basically loud as it is and already drowns out other noises. I can carry on a conversation with someone with earbuds in and turned on while wearing my helmet. On the road the main difference I've noticed is in the sound of my bike. I still hear screeching tires, trucks, etc. For me safety comes from constantly cycling my vision side to side in front and from mirror to mirror. I assume anything I see may be out to get me.