V4
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

BARF Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor

Motorcycles: are for posing...
Name: DCLXVI
How are the new Metzler ME6 RoadTecs: anyone know of a reveiw for them?

Time for another set of tires again...

The latest MEZ6 RoadTecs has my interest after seeing them at a shop BUT I hate to be the first person to try them and find them to be disappointing...

BUT again, I bought Pirelli Diablos after hearing positive reveiws about them and I personally don't like em....great on dry surfaces but sketchy on wet/damp surfaces....better wear than the BT010s which is the ONLY reason I used the Pirelli cuz like so many, I got tired of seeing the front BT010s cup so fast but doesn't compare to the confidence inspiring feedback of the BT010s all-around....

Anyone know of any links for reveiws or have already tried the new Metzlers...??

Mucho Appreciato....

V4-o....
Old 02-01-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Nelson
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: CBR600 F4
Name:
I actually rode on my new Metzelers Z6's today for the first time. I was the second person to get them at Road Rider since it is a very new tire.

I can't tell you much since I didn't push it much in the rain. When I rode down on 84 from Alice's I felt pretty confident with their grip in wet roads.
All I can say is that the handling was a little quicker than the previous Z4 rear and closer to the M1 Sportecs. The profile is a lot more racier (eliptical) than the Z4's or even the Pilot Roads that are pretty round. Grip?.....can't tell you much since it was raining, but for my tame riding style I was satisfied with the stickiness of the previous Z4's so the Z6's should be allright for me.

The only thing that I doubt is that I can get the 6000 miles I got out if the Z4's. Don't know about the new model with the racier tire profile, less area of contact when going straight, could that result in more wear in the middle chunk of the tire?

Last edited by Nelson; 02-01-2004 at 07:52 PM..
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Raghu
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: one bike to do it all...
Name:
Can't help you much here (: I will be trying it out this summer after I run out of my current stock - a set of Pilots & a set of D208s - that I bought cheap.

review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...eID=370&Page=1

Jan 04 issue of Friction Zone...
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
Nelson
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
I finally got around to putting a few miles on my Z6's rear, I keep my M1 front. I did roughly 1300 miles on them on a recent trip and a a couple of day rides.

Whatever I say take it with a grain of salt. I am not a particularly fast rider and ussually not notice much difference from tire to tire. I didn't quite ride my Z4's and Z6's back to back since my bike was parked for like two months with a bad tire and an electrical gremlin. BUT I do liken the Z6 more to the M1 than the Z4. The tire profile is definately racier than any other sport touring tire.

Gripwise, I almost felt them as good as one of my previous M1 rear. Of course in hands of a racer or better rider this would be an absolute lie, but on the street and in hands of a very average rider, they suffice. I put these tires to the test on Hwy 33 on my way to Malibu. They definately seem to make my bike quicker than on my square shaped Z4's. Initially the steering felt kind of nervous, but the nervousness went away as I got used to them.

The real test will be how many miles can i get out of them. I can't afford to replace an M1 or similar tire after 3K or 4K miles. My Z4's went over 6K before succumbing to a nail. I could have gotten over 7K. We'll see if these can last that many miles.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
harring10
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 00.5 Mille R - 02 VFR ABS - 03 Goldwing ABS
Name:
Tire review

I can't speak to the Z6 other than I've heard good things.

I went with the new Azaro 'B' tire. So far I'm convinced I've made the right choice.

I am not a fast rider per say (there's always somebody faster and vice versa) but I will say that I don't get the life out of tires that I read about so frequently. I'll be surprised if I get 4,000 out of the Dunlops on the Goldwing.

For example, of the three sets of M1's I've run I've never gotten more than 2,500 miles out of a set. I only use these tires on sport bikes (not sport touring bikes). I have a set of Diablos on the Mille now and generally feel they're as good or better than the M1s (should be - same company!) but don't expect necessarily any better mileage.

I tend to have very negative feelings about the Z4s. Having just taken them off of the VFR I can tell you they were a severe impediment to the bike's handling capabilities. So, even though I hear of good mileage, I would avoid the Z4s like the plague.

Last note, throw the Pilot Roads in the mix - I understand they are the best selling ST tire and generally get excellent reviews.

I think most will agree the top 3 ST tires are:

* Avon 45/46 'B' (the B is new and important to note)
* Metzler Z6s
* Michelin Pilot Roads

I doubt you could go wrong with any of those 3.

My .02

K -
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
Nelson
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Re: Tire review

Quote:
Originally posted by harring10
II tend to have very negative feelings about the Z4s. Having just taken them off of the VFR I can tell you they were a severe impediment to the bike's handling capabilities. So, even though I hear of good mileage, I would avoid the Z4s like the plague.

Last note, throw the Pilot Roads in the mix - I understand they are the best selling ST tire and generally get excellent reviews.

I think most will agree the top 3 ST tires are:

* Avon 45/46 'B' (the B is new and important to note)
* Metzler Z6s
* Michelin Pilot Roads

I doubt you could go wrong with any of those 3.

My .02

K -
I agree on the Z4's. My bike turns quicker on M1's or the Z6's. But the handling issue for me was a tradeoff with their great durability, the fact that I could have gotten more tha 7K miles on them if it wasn't for a flat tire. Aren't all older ST tires like that?

As for the Pilot Roads, I was really excited when they came out, since they were advertised as a touring tire with a sportier edge, but their profile is almost as flat as the Z4's
Old 02-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
soniq
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Busa, Strom, KLR
Name: Mike
Man, I love those Trailwings that came on the V-Strom. My odometer is going to roll 12,000 this week and I'm still on the original tires with plenty of miles left.
soniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
Raghu
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: one bike to do it all...
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by soniq
Man, I love those Trailwings that came on the V-Strom. My odometer is going to roll 12,000 this week and I'm still on the original tires with plenty of miles left.
I could do that with the first set of Pilot sports on my F4i too, since I was getting used to the bike. I got 9k miles out of them. Now, I get about 5k out of the rear

btw harring10, you missed one of the all time favs - bt010/bt020 combo. A lot of ppl. go with that than pure ST tires...
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote