Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Contributor ++++++++++++4%

Motorcycles: 2021 MT-07
Name: Looney
Going Coastal - weekend ride, F800ST + SV1000S

Day One. Saturday.

Slydrite and I left bright and early... er, just about noonish. Here is a pic he took of me as I was packing up. My gear - Teknic perforated leather jacket, First Gear leather riding pants, Alpinestars Tech 4S dualsport boots, Racer High-end women's gloves, Scorpion helmet. My ride: F800ST with hard bags and tail bag for easy camera access. His gear - Aerostitch Darien High-vis, kevlar jeans with extra armor goodness, Sidi Vertebra race, Held something or other gloves, Arai XD, and the one thing I really need to add to my gear, a Camelback. His ride: SV1000S with lowers and a whole host of other goodies.

We took minimal freeway-age up to Highway 1, then did a few Highway 1 twisties. Not quickly, as there was a lot of traffic. I pulled over at one point to snap a few pictures.

We continued on for a late lunch in Point Reyes. Three guys on SV1000Ss pulled up, and they stood around and compared the sizes of their penises.

With that over, they looked at the bikes.

I have to say - high-viz yellow? It works.

We headed up 1 some more, and it was foggy and misty the whole way. We pulled aside at one point to pee in the bushes and decide whether to keep going up 1 or to head inland.

Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

The cows were very interested in my bush-trip. I tried to explain to them that I was vegetarian. This did not seem to mollify them.

I took some pictures of the Russian River (not to be confused with the Rushin' River).

KLR folk riding by.

A picture slydrite took of me taking pictures. No, I'm not goose-stepping! That's how you have to walk in those things.

We decided to head inland. The fog broke, and we had sunny skies and gorgeous rolling scenery in to 101. The temperature rose steadily from fifty-nine degrees at the coast to ninety-two on 101. Between my jacket and the wind protection on the F800, I was actually OK. We took 101 just a short way north, then took 128 the rest of the way back to 1. Traffic was light and the ride was beautiful! The craggy Northern Californian coastline is like nothing else.

We stopped at a Mexican restaurant in a little no-name town when we were just a few miles from Fort Bragg. The food was <i>incredibly</i> good.

It was getting quite dark by the time we made it to the overpriced bed-and-breakfast. We soaked in the hot tub to relieve our sore muscles, then took a shower and headed to bed.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Day Two. Sunday.

The bed-and-breakfast served a meaty breakfast indeed, and so we ate grits and headed out. As per the norm that close to the ocean, it was so foggy that it was more or less drizzling constantly. It was just warm enough to be very, very muggy. The bikes were soaked.

We headed a little way south to the home of a friend of slydrite's, Chris. The man has a farm with a number of nifty projects (cars and bikes), a number of nifty animals, and two lovely grandkids.

The goats were skeptical.

As were the llamas.

The dog was crazy.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Slydrite playing with the dog.

Chris doing something that looked a little scary.

Slydrite explaining the principles of aviation to one of the grandkids.

Said grandkids. Very smart and active kids.

We backtracked a little bit to look at Glass Beach. It is a former landfill that is covered with glass that has been polished smooth by wind and wave and time. However, there was no glass there when we arrived. It has all been mined by tourists. People just can't keep their hands off of things.

A picture slydrite took of me.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

We headed back south on 1. I should mention at this point that I lost my bike mojo in the past year. I can still ride and commute, but my ability to ride well and lean the thing? My confidence was shot by a few little near-incidents that added up, and I've been riding really crappily lately. I was hoping the Thunderhill day would get it back for me, but it didn't. Well, having a very good rider going behind you and giving you tips is just the best thing for that. I was riding 10x better than my crappy former style, and made a dent in my chicken strips. More importanly, I was riding more comfortably and well.

A stop along the way. The colors! The blue of the water, the almost-purple of the clouds! Stunning. It was also fun to see how much the trees were bent over by the nearly ceaseless costal winds.

Next, we went on Skaggs Spring Road. Most of it is badly paved, twisty, one-lane, and unmarked. A great supermoto road, but it freaked me out a bit on my F800 pig. However, the last chunk of road is broad, flat, two-lane, and perfectly paved. The ideal kind of road on which to practice body position and lines.

I followed an R6 for a while. I need to play around there some more!

We switched bikes for the last slab-ride down 101 and home. OK, I don't even have balls and I feel like calling the SV1000S a ball-buster. Murder on the knees. And I still find it hard to crank over in turns. I'll stick with my F800!

A magnificent, lovely, fun, terrific weekend. Woohooo!

Last edited by Roadstergal; 07-16-2007 at 11:00 AM..
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Epilog: Gear and F800ST.

The Scorpion helmet is just an ideal full-face for me. Very nice fit and finish, great venting, quiet.

I did not even think about the boots, which is the best praise I can give a boot in comfort. No pinching, no blisters. Great for riding and for walking.

The jacket served very well in mixed conditions. Even ninety-five degrees, as it was in parts, was no biggie. My only complaint is that it chafed a bit around the throat.

Racer high-end gloves? Always great.

The First Gear leather pants were a lot better in the heat than I feared. I'm going to make them my regular commute wear.

The F800ST was a pleasure. Comfortable on all parts of my body for the whole ride. Great wind protection. Great storage. Information right where I wanted it. Mid-fifties mileage. Nice torque for passing in any gear. A far better bike than I am a rider! It did have one nifty feature - the lean indicator. I knew I was shifing my cheek off of the seat when I touched the front fairing with my shin, and it is a very positive and bracing fit to a shin.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Great pictures!

Slydrite is on a SV1K?
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: are why we're here, right?
Name: Hey You
Quote:
Originally posted by NoGall
Great pictures!

Slydrite is on a SV1K?
haha.....yup, can't ride durt all the time

awesome weekend and excellent pics as usual, Rgal...

"Apexes - how the f**k do they work?!?!"
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadstergal

We switched bikes for the last slab-ride down 101 and home. OK, I don't even have balls and I feel like calling the SV1000S a ball-buster. Murder on the knees. And I still find it hard to crank over in turns. I'll stick with my F800!

at least my turn signals work so that you don't have to think about it or look down to operate them....I can't believe you like those...I want a divorce!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

My turn signals kick your turn signals' asses.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
chiara
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX10R (road), R1 (track)
Name:
Great pics. Next time you're in the Point Reyes area, take the road to Limantour beach. Its a fun little side trip.
chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Quote:
Originally posted by chiara
Great pics. Next time you're in the Point Reyes area, take the road to Limantour beach. Its a fun little side trip.
done did it...

Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Quote:
My turn signals kick your turn signals' asses.
only because it's not a fair fight...you have 3 times as many turn signal switches!!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
antipathy
Lurks for the lulz

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 250/650/1050
Name: Alicia
Quote:
Well, having a very good rider going behind you and giving you tips is just the best thing for that. I was riding 10x better than my crappy former style, and made a dent in my chicken strips. More importanly, I was riding more comfortably and well.
Very glad to hear! Slydrite is an excellent riding coach. Lovely photos & thank you for sharing your trip with us!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by antipathy
Slydrite is an excellent riding coach.
He really is. (Even if his turn signals are ludicrous.)