BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Shooting Gallery

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 10:16 PM   #61
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: No bike until I have a bigger garage.
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkeith View Post
So....end up with anything?
I believe Reed’s is “open by appointment” and only M-F 10-5. Range is still closed. Since I’d have to actually take time off work to go buy it (and again to go pick it up), and then I can’t even shoot it for who the hell knows how long...yeah I haven’t been super motivated to take the next step.

But rest assured, this will be happening eventually.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #62
Wolf
Experienced, not Skilled

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 FZ8
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDew View Post
Exciting news, indeed! I'm going to try to not be a downer, but did want to introduce a little bit of Cali-reality. First is the "safe gun roster", these are the handguns certified by the state and can be sold new by your local gun store.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search
That's interesting... Gen4 Glocks aren't sold in CA?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #63
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That's interesting... Gen4 Glocks aren't sold in CA?
Not from a FFL. P2P transfers are fine, though
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #64
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
I believe Reed’s is “open by appointment” and only M-F 10-5. Range is still closed. Since I’d have to actually take time off work to go buy it (and again to go pick it up), and then I can’t even shoot it for who the hell knows how long...yeah I haven’t been super motivated to take the next step.

But rest assured, this will be happening eventually.

Yup. It happened. Finally had an early enough day at work and remembered that I still wanted to do this.

So there’s a new CZ-75 SP-01 doing it’s time in the penalty box right now.

Thanks to the BARF collective for steering me that way. Thought for sure I’d be getting my John McClaine on and going with a Beretta when all this started.

Last edited by TheRobSJ; 02-18-2021 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #65
bergmen
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Name: Dan
Quote:
Yup. It happened. Finally had an early enough day at work and remembered that I still wanted to do this.

Thanks to the BARF collective for steering me that way. Thought for sure I’d be getting my John McCaine on and going with a Beretta when all this started.
Very cool! I can never be patient waiting the 10 days (actually 240 hours), it seems like 10 weeks.

Reeds?

Dan
bergmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #66
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: None, but my brother has 54.
Name: Ken
Quote:

Thanks to the BARF collective for steering me that way. Thought for sure I’d be getting my John McCaine on and going with a Beretta when all this started.
Great news, I hope you enjoy it. This gun fit my hand and pointed very naturally for me.
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #67
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
Very cool! I can never be patient waiting the 10 days (actually 240 hours), it seems like 10 weeks.

Reeds?

Dan
Reeds.

Of course you can’t use the range to try anything right now. So I just held a few and dry fired. The trigger reset on the CZ felt longer than some of the others but it seems that can be changed fairly easily. But I very much preferred the weight of the CZ though the Beretta M9 was almost as heavy. The weight was the deciding factor.

Hearing some of the prices people were paying for ammo while I was there, and quite honestly the price I paid for the CZ, suggests that this is a pretty god damn good time to be in the gun business.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #68
bergmen
Veteran

Quote:
Reeds.

Of course you can’t use the range to try anything right now. So I just held a few and dry fired. The trigger reset on the CZ felt longer than some of the others but it seems that can be changed fairly easily. But I very much preferred the weight of the CZ though the Beretta M9 was almost as heavy. The weight was the deciding factor.

Hearing some of the prices people were paying for ammo while I was there, and quite honestly the price I paid for the CZ, suggests that this is a pretty god damn good time to be in the gun business.
It's too bad I'm not traveling to Santa Clara each week for work (like I used to before March of last year), I could bring some Federal ammo for you to use to break your gun in. I've got some extra.

Dan
Old 02-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #69
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
It's too bad I'm not traveling to Santa Clara each week for work (like I used to before March of last year), I could bring some Federal ammo for you to use to break your gun in. I've got some extra.

Dan
Thanks for the offer. I’ll pick some up when I pick up the rig. Probably a small box of hollow points (this was for home defense after all). Worry about buying a bunch of ball to actually break the thing in and get some proper practice with it when their range opens back up and/or ammo doesn’t require a second mortgage to buy a decent amount of.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #70
tuxumino
purrfect

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
congrates on the purchase. Get some snap caps for it so you can practice loading, unloading and magazine changes without using live ammo.
I think they may also make dry fire less injurious to the fire pin.
You'll probably want to get a little quick access gun safe to store it in, the last thing you want to do is come home and find the burglar found your CZ in your under wear drawer.
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce
tuxumino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #71
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: None, but my brother has 54.
Name: Ken
Use of snap caps is a must. The firing pin retaining pin, which is a roll pin through the slide takes a beating without their use.
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #72
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxumino View Post
congrates on the purchase. Get some snap caps for it so you can practice loading, unloading and magazine changes without using live ammo.
I think they may also make dry fire less injurious to the fire pin.
You'll probably want to get a little quick access gun safe to store it in, the last thing you want to do is come home and find the burglar found your CZ in your under wear drawer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ss View Post
Use of snap caps is a must.
Snap caps, check. Quick access safe, check.

Also got myself a nice tacticool under mount light/laser. An Uplula magazine loader (for the massive sum of 20 rounds I bought). And some kind of grease the guy at Reed’s recommended instead of oil.

Anything else I should get for now?
Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #73
bergmen
Veteran

Quote:
Snap caps, check. Quick access safe, check.

Also got myself a nice tacticool under mount light/laser. An Uplula magazine loader (for the massive sum of 20 rounds I bought). And some kind of grease the guy at Reed’s recommended instead of oil.

Anything else I should get for now?
Do you have good cleaning equipment? Nothing fancy is required but a means of cleaning the bore and other parts is handy.

Dan
Old 03-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #74
TheRobSJ
Großer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Do you have good cleaning equipment? Nothing fancy is required but a means of cleaning the bore and other parts is handy.

Dan
It came with a bore brush and I’m sure I have toothbrushes around the house. What kind of cleaners should I use? Is firearm specific stuff necessary or could I just use all purpose cleaner from my shelf of many auto detailing chemicals?
Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #75
bergmen
Veteran

Quote:
It came with a bore brush and I’m sure I have toothbrushes around the house. What kind of cleaners should I use? Is firearm specific stuff necessary or could I just use all purpose cleaner from my shelf of many auto detailing chemicals?
You can't lose with Hoppes #9 for any cleaning operations. I sometimes use spray carb cleaner but one must be careful around certain types of plastics. Kerosene is also a good solvent and pretty much harmless to internals. Nylon brushes (there are kits available at various suppliers) are handy.

Others here will have better recommendations I'm sure.

Dan