BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #31
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Morgan Territory Road near Mt Diablo is paved but pretty goaty. Could make for a good practice before hitting actual dirt.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #32
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Goat View Post
Morgan Territory Road near Mt Diablo is paved but pretty goaty. Could make for a good practice before hitting actual dirt.
I disagree. I've ridden Morgan Territory many times and ridden thousands of miles of dirt roads. I don't see any skill transfer at all.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #33
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Hitting pot-holes on goaty roads taught me to slow down ... also to watch carefully where I was going, but to look well down the road, too.

learned the slo-trick in club-racing. going slower resolved all my race bike suspension set-up issues. as a KLR rider, that slow lesson comes in handy to overcome all sorts of bike/rider shortcomings.

but not too slow in the sand or rough stuff!
that momentum-is-my-friend was a hard lesson I certainly didn’t learn on goaty roads ...

fun to think about. my dirt-bike friends tell me my KLR is a street-bike (also that I’m slo mainly cuz old, ouch).
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:18 AM   #34
Rudeojr
Rookie

Motorcycles: Dual sport
Name:
it can be done but does t really give you a good way to find out if you like dirt riding. i rode my honda st1300 from gonzalez to highway 25 via a dirt road that winds up the mountain to the summit. yeah it was sketchy but i made it.
Rudeojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #35
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Goaty roads on a street bike vs on a dual sport is a big difference, the dual sport just chomps them right up and save your spine from a beating for sure. All you have to do to experience riding goaty roads is ride around SF haha, my KLR chomps it right up.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #36
Lowerside
Rookie

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: SV650 CBR300R
Name:
Managed to make a Sunday out of this last weekend!

Headed out on Sunday morning with the goal of using Summit Road from Morgan Hill to reach Loma Prieta. The satellite view made it look like it was mostly dirt roads and that's what I was looking for. I brought my toolkit plus enough zip ties, gorilla tape, and JB weld to re-attach the bike if it decided to rattle itself to pieces.

I gassed up at Morgan Hill and headed down Watsonville Rd, following a line of cars and wondering why I didn't wait until it warmed up a bit more before leaving. I make it to Madonna Rd, into Summit Road, and past the park and the local homes. After a few minutes, I start rolling through hard packed dirt and get excited! That didn't last though, as I immediately hit my least favourite obstacle: private roads

Well shit. I ended up wandering around the area a bit and eventually turn Southbound down to Watsonville with the intention of just taking 1 back up North. I proceeded to do so, but when I stopped at Santa Cruz to gas up, I checked out Google Maps again to see what other options I have since I was already down there.

I remember looking up LP before and seeing that Google recommended that I take the western section of Summit Road off 17 to get to it. I double check the app and it indeed did do so. Since I had some more time to kill, I head up 17, take the Summit Rd exit, and take it as far as I wanted to.

Nice, paved roads slowly degraded until it starts getting pretty ragged a the top. I slow down when I hit hard packed dirt again and feel how the SV moves below me. As predicted, the suspension isn't made for it, the tires are way too smooth, it's heavy as shit, and basically inappropriate for the job. I had a big grin on my face the whole time though. Once again, I run into yet another pRiVaTe RoAdS fence but this time there was another road next to it that l could go down and continue.

I went down Summit/Madonna Rd for a bit, passing some trucks on the way down. I played around with the brakes here a bit to see how much I could apply before they lock up. Turns out, it didn't take much even at an incredibly slow 20mph pace. This is where I took a break on the side of the road and notice that i'm running low on water. Rather thank risk being continuing only to be turned back by another private road sign, I turned around and made my way back home for a late lunch/early dinner.

So, yeah like what most folks here have said, the SV does not like handling the bumps, holes, and rocks that come from even a simple fire road. I definitely enjoyed it and will do it again when I have some free time. I recognize that i'd enjoy it with a more suitable bike though; I need to figure out how to add a cheap 250 dual sport to my collection
Lowerside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #37
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerside View Post
I recognize that i'd enjoy it with a more suitable bike though; I need to figure out how to add a cheap 250 dual sport to my collection
Fun times

As someone who used to take a street bike on easy dirt and relatively recently converted to dual sport, you will not regret it at all. Your only regret was that you didn't do it sooner.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #38
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '20 Scorpa, '19 TX 300, '17 1090 '93 KTM 550 MXC, '14 500 EXC
Name:
This would be perfect for what you want to do. My wife had one and it is amazingly well behaved at freeway speeds (for a 250) and great for DS. They last 50,000 miles or more and there is very good adv support for them. Keep your eye out for one if this is too expensive, she got hers with 2300 miles for about 4200 if I remember correctly but you can find higher mileage ones for a little less.

https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=548794
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #39
Lowerside
Rookie

1% Contributor

Name:
I wish I had the money and the space for another bike right now! The earliest I could budget for another would be late this year, but realistically i'm not planning on adding another bike until 2022. That WR looks great for its price. I admit that i'm pretty intimidated by the 37" seat height due to my 28" inseam, but eh if I owned it i'd just accept that there's gonna be a lot of drops happening for the first few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Fun times

As someone who used to take a street bike on easy dirt and relatively recently converted to dual sport, you will not regret it at all. Your only regret was that you didn't do it sooner.
Hah! I'm definitely feeling that a bit already

Last edited by Lowerside; 03-09-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Old 03-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #40
sk8norcal
Veteran

Motorcycles: CRF250L
Name: Henry
Quote:

I went down Summit/Madonna Rd for a bit, passing some trucks on the way down. I played around with the brakes here a bit to see how much I could apply before they lock up. Turns out, it didn't take much even at an incredibly slow 20mph pace. This is where I took a break on the side of the road and notice that i'm running low on water. Rather thank risk being continuing only to be turned back by another private road sign, I turned around and made my way back home for a late lunch/early dinner.
sounds like you had a fun experience, probably better to go with someone for your first time. Btw, those signs you saw are bogus. Google search "summit road private". Many riders go through there every weekend.

I took my old cb500x (essentially a street bike) with shinko 705 up there when I was new to dirt, and later picked up a CRF250L. It's much more fun on the dual sport.
sk8norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #41
Lowerside
Rookie

1% Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8norcal View Post
sounds like you had a fun experience, probably better to go with someone for your first time. Btw, those signs you saw are bogus. Google search "summit road private". Many riders go through there every weekend.
Ugh, good to know. Can't believe that the county has no problems with the locals leaving those signs up. I won't be back to the area for a bit, but when I do i'm gonna putt right on through.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #42
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
I wish I had the money and the space for another bike right now! T
Well it seems abundantly clear it's time to get rid of the SV and get something more dirt capable. If you need the same freeway power as the SV, there's the Vstrom, Versys, cb500x. Lower freeway speeds there's the DR650,KLR or the magnificent XR650L. Don't need to be on the freeway much WR250R, CRF250L, KLX300, DRZ

Anyway happy riding

Last edited by matty; 03-10-2021 at 12:46 PM..
Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #43
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Well it seems abundantly clear it's time to get rid of the SV and get something more dirt capable. If you need the same freeway power as the SV, there's the Vstrom, Versys, cb500x. Lower freeway speeds there's the DR650 or KLR. Don't need to be on the freeway much WR250R, CRF250L, KLX300, DRZ
Why do you guys always forget the XR650L?

A stock XR can cruise all day at 80 mph. It might not be fun, due to lack of wind protection, but the bike can easily handle it. And in California, at least, do you really need to go faster than 80?
Old 03-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #44
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post

A stock XR can cruise all day at 80 mph. It might not be fun, due to lack of wind protection, but the bike can easily handle it. And in California, at least, do you really need to go faster than 80?
There, I fixed my post

I should add the te610 too, but that's a bit of a rare bird.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #45
gixxerjeff
Dogs best friend

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Because Barf is exclusively sponsored by Suzuki and Kawasaki. Duh.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote