Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Shooting Gallery

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Precursor Firearm Parts to be sold only through dealers

Now, while scurrying about on the interwebs regarding the magazine decision, I stumbled over to calguns (where I don't usually frequent), and stumbled upon something interesting.

Apparently the State is going to limit the sale of "precursor firearm parts" to be only through licensed dealers.

Precursor firearm parts are pretty much what I think instinctively think they might be: barrels, receivers, trigger groups, etc.

Basically the parts of a gun that make a gun, but don't have the serial number. Dunno if it includes stocks, certainly not sights.

But it's no doubt aimed at the homebuilder segment, and a route around the (illegal) "ghost gun" trade. AR style firearms are mentioned specifically in the intent.

This is supposed to take place in 2022 or 2023 (not clear on that).

I have not looked in detail, it's not clear to me if they're subjecting the parts to the standard background checks, pretty sure they're not registering the parts (but don't know that either). Or if they're simply trying to stop the trade via mail order and make folks "buy local".

As I understand it, this is signed law. Maybe I'm mistaken on that as well, but at a minimum, I haven't heard it mentioned even casually around here.

So, maybe it's much ado about nothing. Maybe it's a big deal. But figured I'd rattle the bushes a bit here and see what shakes out.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
BlastRadius
Rookie

Motorcycles: Streetfighter 848
Name: Henry
I believe the most recent definition of precursor part is limited to 80% lowers. It was discussed on the "Armed Scholar" and "Reno May" YouTube channels.
BlastRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Yes, that's what this looks like. That explains the lack of hoopla around this.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote