BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
BDR input wanted

Seeking the collective wisdom of BARF, a few of us are planning to do a BDR (or?) trip this summer. Weíve been talking about Idaho, mostly because itís supposed to be one of the easier ones and we are all of moderate skill, at best. That said, we are open to other BDRís in the west or just other epic multi day ADV rides as long as they arenít too tough. So vague questions: howís the Washington or Oregon BDR as far as skill level needed, any epic, not hard, rides here in CA that people really like?

And for the folks who have trucked their bikes out to the IDBDR start, any suggestions for parking the rig for an extended period? Iím guessing Elko would probably have something available for short term parking.

Any other must know pearls of wisdom for idbdr or any other for that matter?

This still a ways off, probably August (after the snow melt), but itís fun to have something to look forward to. Iíll probably have more questions as time goes on.

Thanks in advance.

bikes will be a WR250R, a DR650 and I think a Husaberg FE450, I think that's what it is.

Last edited by matty; 01-08-2021 at 06:13 PM..
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
I did the ID TAT but from what I've seen in Idaho there are mixes of desert and forest and farm land. That being said i had a great time in Idaho. The ride to Idaho was so painful on the DR650 I was wishing I had a real ADV bike on those long stretches of freeway especially the 80. I'm not sure what the weather is like in the summer but the riding was great in the daytime in the fall but cold at night like 30s-40s.

I was choosing to ride the ID BDR or finish the TAT doing ID and OR. I looked at the Butler map for ID BDR and it is so long longitudinally! it's like if you were to combine oregon and washington together. If I do the IDBDR there is a way to link up the IDBDR and WABDR, bang out two BDRs in one trip, there's a corridor that links the two together. But that's a LONG trip. The ID+OR TAT from San Jose and back was like 2900 miles! I would think ID+WA BDR from San Jose would be like 4000 miles. Another thing I had heard about the IDBDR is it's pretty rural, there not many large cities along the way and that sounds about right for the ID TAT, there was a night I couldn't find a hotel if I wanted one so I wound up camping at this reservoir in this little town.





I'm not even sure there is an Oregon BDR, rideBDR has not published it. I have done the Oregon TAT and it's pretty awesome, I've never ridden through so many different national forests before. A lot of the section were closed though, especially towards the end.

I'll tell you this about the BDR they usually go north to south or south to north so get ready for huge temperature swings. When i did the NVBDR it was like 80-90F when you start out, by the time you get to the end it's was like 50-60s and 30s at night.

Also fuel you'll only be able to go as far as the bike with biggest tank. My DR has a range of about 250miles and that was enough to get through the TAT sections. You'll probably want at least 150 miles range, 200+ is even better. Make sure you get the Butler Map it has a lot of info in it.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 01-09-2021 at 06:04 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
I did the ID TAT ...

I'm not even sure there is an Oregon BDR, rideBDR has not published it. I have done the Oregon TAT and it's pretty awesome, I've never ridden through so many different national forests before. A lot of the section were closed though, especially towards the end.

...
Thanks

I remember your TAT thread, you were updating it from the trail right? Good stuff. I'll look into the Oregon TAT. As far as ORBDR, apparently some couple from Oregon created their own BDR before BDR existed. My buddy has their maps.

I can run my stock tank on the IDBDR, but I still think I'm going to get a bigger one so I have at least 180 mi range.

Thanks again.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
massio
once a racer...
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: usa
Motorcycles: what day is it?
Name:
Re: IDBDR

I did the Idaho BDR with some buddies last year. With hard copy maps and GPX tracks from the BDR site it was fairly easy to follow. We explored and got semi-lost a few times but that was part of the fun.

We were on big bikes so a few of us rode out from the bay area. I much prefer that. We explored awesome areas each direction and still didn't wear out our knobbies completely. Others left a truck at a friend's place outside Boise so I can't help on public parking suggestions. If you are on thumpers then I understand the driving option, though there is something about just riding from your door...

The one suggestion I would make would be to do it early season. We timed it perfectly mid-July. There was still some snow but the blowdowns had been cleared, almost all the routes were open and streams were a-flowing. You want *some* challenges, right?

If you have any questions about specific places on this route feel free to ask. But have fun wherever you go. The important thing is just getting out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Seeking the collective wisdom of BARF, a few of us are planning to do a BDR (or?) trip this summer. Weíve been talking about Idaho, mostly because itís supposed to be one of the easier ones and we are all of moderate skill, at best. That said, we are open to other BDRís in the west or just other epic multi day ADV rides as long as they arenít too tough...

And for the folks who have trucked their bikes out to the IDBDR start, any suggestions for parking the rig for an extended period? Iím guessing Elko would probably have something available for short term parking.

Any other must know pearls of wisdom for idbdr or any other for that matter?

This still a ways off, probably August (after the snow melt), but itís fun to have something to look forward to. Iíll probably have more questions as time goes on.

Thanks in advance.

bikes will be a WR250R, a DR650 and I think a Husaberg FE450, I think that's what it is.
massio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #5
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Sounds like it was an awesome trip, reading stuff like this helps me get excited I prefer to ride to and from, but this one has so much slab in between that I imagine that part would be no fun, especially from Tahoe to Elko and especially on a little 250 thumper. And flowing river crossings? Sure, I'm up for it, what's the worst that could happen? Don't answer that. I'm not sure any of us can do it before August, but I'll bring up July.

One question: How long were you guys on the IDBDR total? We are thinking 9-10 days with a nice mellow pace and occasional stops and side exploration, does that sound right?
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #6
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider
 
ScottRNelson's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Meridian, ID
Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
I've been on the southern part of the IDBDR as far as Yellow Pine. It's beautiful and takes you on some interesting roads. If you do the whole thing it will wear you out.

A neighbor of mine did all of it on a V-Strom 650 so it's not super hard. It can be tough when it's muddy, though, and there are only about three months of the year when the whole thing is clear. Plus some of it can get closed due to forest fires.

I'll intend to do some parts of it this coming year.
__________________
Scott R. Nelson - Meridian, Idaho (after 30 years in the Bay Area)
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Ride_on
Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bay area
Motorcycles: KTM
Name:
I did the WABDR 2.5 years ago with four buddies (four 990's and one R1200GSA). Had a ton of fun but had to re-route a lot because of fire closures as we got closer to Canada. We trucked the bikes to White Salmon and I left my rig at a friends house. Route was not too hard and can be done in less time than IDBDR from what I hear.

Highly recommended!
Ride_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
massio
once a racer...
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: usa
Motorcycles: what day is it?
Name:
Re: IDBDR

It was awesome. We were on the route around a week but skipped the 1st segment from Nevada and the last one to the Canadian border. You should be golden with 9-10 days.

Cheers ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Sounds like it was an awesome trip, reading stuff like this helps me get excited I prefer to ride to and from, but this one has so much slab in between that I imagine that part would be no fun, especially from Tahoe to Elko and especially on a little 250 thumper. And flowing river crossings? Sure, I'm up for it, what's the worst that could happen? Don't answer that. I'm not sure any of us can do it before August, but I'll bring up July.

One question: How long were you guys on the IDBDR total? We are thinking 9-10 days with a nice mellow pace and occasional stops and side exploration, does that sound right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1190R poster.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	540820  
massio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post

I can run my stock tank on the IDBDR, but I still think I'm going to get a bigger one so I have at least 180 mi range.

Thanks again.
sounds like a cool ID adventure (9-10 days!), think the WR250R looks pretty bad-ass with one of those big, huge tanks ...

having fun hearing about your plan ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by massio View Post
It was awesome. We were on the route around a week but skipped the 1st segment from Nevada and the last one to the Canadian border. You should be golden with 9-10 days.

Cheers ~



cool bike and pic and IDBDR trip ... having fun imagining your a-flowing, challenging, water crossings.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 01-09-2021 at 07:43 PM..
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #10
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
I prefer to ride to and from, but this one has so much slab in between that I imagine that part would be no fun, especially from Tahoe to Elko and especially on a little 250 thumper.
There is also so much dirt in between here and Elko. Tons. Perfect place for a WR. You can get through Jarbidge in August and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend the bigger tank on your WR. You can never have too much fuel in the desert...unless you're on fire, of course. Have fun, however you do it. And post photos, of course!
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
It's beautiful and takes you on some interesting roads. If you do the whole thing it will wear you out.

Plus some of it can get closed due to forest fires.

I'll intend to do some parts of it this coming year.
We've already agreed, that if we get wiped out, we'll call it a day. Maybe we'll see you out there. And yes, fires, the newish normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_on View Post
I did the WABDR 2.5 years ago
Highly recommended!
Just studied the map this morning, a definite alternative and personally, this one has appeal because I know a bunch of folks in Portland that I haven't seen in ages, plus I could leave my rig with one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
think the WR250R looks pretty bad-ass with one of those big, huge tanks ...
You know, I just got a Rotopax days ago and realized, I don't want to carry this thing, bigger tank it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
There is also so much dirt in between here and Elko. Tons. Perfect place for a WR. You can get through Jarbidge in August and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend the bigger tank on your WR. You can never have too much fuel in the desert...unless you're on fire, of course. Have fun, however you do it. And post photos, of course!
Hmmm, hadn't even considered that. I've read enough of your ride reports though to know you speak truth. It would add a couple of days though, just might be worth it to cut some of IDBDR out and add some NV. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, and remind me to never share with you or anyone else the story of how I lit my buddy's FZ600 on fire, amusing in hindsight but not at the time.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #12
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
You know, I just got a Rotopax days ago and realized, I don't want to carry this thing, bigger tank it is


Oh, and remind me to never share with you or anyone else the story of how I lit my buddy's FZ600 on fire, amusing in hindsight but not at the time.
What?? You burnt an FZ600 to the ground? An FZ600?? OFF WITH YOUR HEAD, MAN!!


One of my very favorite street bikes was an FZ600, eventually replaced with an FZR400/600.

When I mentioned yes on a big tank, I was responding to the comments about getting a big tank. What I really should've said was carry extra fuel. The thing I don't personally like about those monster tanks is they mess with the ergonomics of the bike even when they're empty, thus making every mile of the ride crappy. I have a monster tank for my beloved 610 and I don't use it anymore. I hate it. A well-placed RotoPax (perhaps attached to a saddlebag rack on the side underneath the saddlebag, or even on top of a rear rack underneath a duffle bag) is the ticket for me. As soon as there is room in the tank I dump it. Sure, the weight up high is crappy but it's only for a little while. The RotoPax has also come in handy when giving fuel to others in need, and also when running out completely. It's much easier to walk (or hitch a ride) with an empty RotoPax than it us pushing a bike with an enormous empty tank. Not that I , uh, personally know anything about that or anything...
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider
 
ScottRNelson's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Meridian, ID
Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
We've already agreed, that if we get wiped out, we'll call it a day. Maybe we'll see you out there. And yes, fires, the newish normal.
If you let me know when you're coming through, I can make it a point to meet you one day to ride somewhere between Pine and Yellow Pine. It would be a day trip for me...
__________________
Scott R. Nelson - Meridian, Idaho (after 30 years in the Bay Area)
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #14
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
What?? You burnt an FZ600 to the ground? An FZ600?? OFF WITH YOUR HEAD, MAN!!


One of my very favorite street bikes was an FZ600, eventually replaced with an FZR400/600.

When I mentioned yes on a big tank, I was responding to the comments about getting a big tank. What I really should've said was carry extra fuel. The thing I don't personally like about those monster tanks is they mess with the ergonomics of the bike even when they're empty, thus making every mile of the ride crappy. I have a monster tank for my beloved 610 and I don't use it anymore. I hate it. A well-placed RotoPax (perhaps attached to a saddlebag rack on the side underneath the saddlebag, or even on top of a rear rack underneath a duffle bag) is the ticket for me. As soon as there is room in the tank I dump it. Sure, the weight up high is crappy but it's only for a little while. The RotoPax has also come in handy when giving fuel to others in need, and also when running out completely. It's much easier to walk (or hitch a ride) with an empty RotoPax than it us pushing a bike with an enormous empty tank. Not that I , uh, personally know anything about that or anything...
No, no not burnt to the ground just destroyed the wire harness and bubbled up the paint, we got it out pretty quickly and bike was up and running within a month, so maybe just lop off a finger

I'll experiment with Rotopax placement, I had it on the rear rack and really didn't like how it raised the bag so much. I'll relocate my tools and tubes and maybe try a side mount, I'll have to fabricate something for that, the current side rack is too flimsy. The IMS 3 gallon tank for this bike doesn't change the ergos much, if at all, it's a taller tank, but not much wider, so that's an alternative that will give me a solid 180 miles
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
matty
Veteran
 
matty's Avatar
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
If you let me know when you're coming through, I can make it a point to meet you one day to ride somewhere between Pine and Yellow Pine. It would be a day trip for me...
I'll let you know as the plans start to coalesce.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.