Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #16
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: VFgeezeR
Name:
OP:

IMO, you should purchase a Glock 19/17.
It's the best all around pistol made, all things considered.

Or, a similar gun such as a CZ P-10C (or F).

Buy a nice 1911 or beretta later as a nice range gun.

Just my opinion.
Brown81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
TheRobSJ
GroŖer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: No bike until I have a bigger garage.
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown81 View Post
OP:

IMO, you should purchase a Glock 19/17.
It's the best all around pistol made, all things considered.

Or, a similar gun such as a CZ P-10C (or F).

Buy a nice 1911 or beretta later as a nice range gun.

Just my opinion.
I know the Glock is legit. I really do. Iíve shot a few rentals. Just not digging the look of them.

Again, if I get to have a big olí collection, then Iím sure Iíll have one. Probably the long slide. 34 is it? Or if I take the wife to the range to try the new whatever I get and her little hands arenít liking it, then maybe weíll set her up with the 19 for next to her nightstand.
TheRobSJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobSJ View Post
I know the Glock is legit. I really do. Iíve shot a few rentals. Just not digging the look of them.

Again, if I get to have a big olí collection, then Iím sure Iíll have one. Probably the long slide. 34 is it? Or if I take the wife to the range to try the new whatever I get and her little hands arenít liking it, then maybe weíll set her up with the 19 for next to her nightstand.
I understand man. I find them to be ugly, too. I have a few real sexy guns that I enjoy shooting much more as well.

But I own 3 glocks. And if I had to start selling guns, the G19 is the last one Iíd let go. From a pragmatic view, they will do anything asked of them. Despite the butter face! I resisted Glocks, but ultimately, the usefulness overcame all else.

I now have a CZ P10F that I am using, and I have to say: itís much better looking and can do anything the Glock can do. Although I wouldnít call it a looker either.

Last edited by Brown81; 03-26-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #19
TheRobSJ
GroŖer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
I now have a CZ P10F that I am using, and I have to say: it’s much better looking and can do anything the Glock can do. Although I wouldn’t call it a looker either.
I’ve seen the CZ75 and thought it was a decent looking rig, but honestly CZ hasn’t been on my radar. So I went and looked up that P10F and you’re right it is much better looking than a G17. I’m looking around on their site and see this one called Shadow 2...and I really like the way that one looks. But wow are they sure proud of that thing!

Edit: welp can cross that off the list. P10 and Shadow models not on the CA roster. Sigh.

Last edited by TheRobSJ; 03-25-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Old 03-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Best advice I was ever given was to go and shoot before you buy. I tried a ton of guns out before I settled on my M&P. It just fit my hand better than anything else out there and that is important for a self defense weapon. What works for me is not the same as what works for you or anyone else.

Also, check out the box o' truth they do some real-world tests on drywall penetration and his stuff is pretty good. An old guy from texas does the website.

Good luck with finding a gun you like.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #21
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
I still want my Beretta 92FS inox.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo

Last edited by Hooli; 03-25-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #22
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
If your plan is to get it to do some serious shooting (home/self defense in my book) fergetabout style points or liking the "look". Look to a machine that with have utter reliability or as close to it as possible as criteria #1.

That you've mentioned Sig Sauer and Glock, of note the grip/barrel angle is quite different between the brands. Rent/borrow and shoot both and which will quickly identify what "hands" you have/prefer/shoot well. Know that on/off roster only influences the price, it has nothing to do about safety or operation. Right now, off roster commands about a $600ish premium- like everything, if the model is a hot ticket then go to the higher add-on, if its dogging in sales, might be less than the low end.

If you wind up preferring Sig, you'll never sell it and simply add to the collection. All my handguns happen to be Sig Sauer, two built in Germany with low serial numbers and I picked up a P365 a couple years ago. They all are simply stunning shooters. I take great care of them all and don't buy into the you-never-have-to-clean-it nonsense, they always "have just been cleaned" and not once have I had a misfire (even with shitty ammo).

Never heard of anyone regretting buying a Sig, but for sure- there are some other great guns out there.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 AM   #23
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Iíve seen the CZ75 and thought it was a decent looking rig, but honestly CZ hasnít been on my radar. So I went and looked up that P10F and youíre right it is much better looking than a G17. Iím looking around on their site and see this one called Shadow 2...and I really like the way that one looks. But wow are they sure proud of that thing!

Edit: welp can cross that off the list. P10 and Shadow models not on the CA roster. Sigh.
Again, just my opinion: the Shadow 2 is the finest handgun you can buy for the money. Itís higher than some, but worth every penny.

The CZ75 is a very good gun. That is the gun that got me started in competition.
Iíve put many tens of thousands of rounds through one.

Not sure if the availability in CA.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #24
TheRobSJ
GroŖer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Again, just my opinion: the Shadow 2 is the finest handgun you can buy for the money. Itís higher than some, but worth every penny.

The CZ75 is a very good gun. That is the gun that got me started in competition.
Iíve put many tens of thousands of rounds through one.

Not sure if the availability in CA.
So a little deeper dive into this gave me that the only ďshadowĒ model you can get here is the CZ75 SP-01. Looks like the frame is fattened up under the barrel to allow a rail, and to add weight Iím sure which helps muzzle flip I imagine. Supposedly a super popular gun for competitive events.

Iím liking this a lot. The SP-01 is actually very reasonably priced too. Picked this picture off the google since I plan to add the light as well and I have that exact knife. So this is going on my short list. Thanks for getting me to take another look at CZ.

The Shadow 2 is not on the CA roster. They are all very expensive, and I guess they are factory hot rodded Shadows or something.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #25
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
I was going to recommend a CZ. The more expensive models are for competition.

If you want a gun for defense in the home, don't get a handgun, get a shotgun or rifle.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
TheRobSJ
GroŖer Mechaniker

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
If you want a gun for defense in the home, don't get a handgun, get a shotgun or rifle.
While Iíd like one someday, I think bringing home an AR to start things off would be too much for the wife to handle, mentally and physically. I have no interest in shotguns, and Iím not sure if the wife could handle that either. She has shot a pistol long ago (probably with the aforementioned stupid ex husband), so I will take her to the range and show her how to shoot mine. Kinda silly to have a defense gun in the house but only one of us can actually use it right?

Another reason for no long gun is that Iím in a three story townhouse. While the main floor is a pretty wide open space, thereís lots of stairs and close quarter turns and such. Well here...

Ignore the furry security guards. Master bedroom and den lead to this view. Take a right turn at the bottom of the first set and itís a big wide open room. Keep going though, and itís the front door, then take a 180 to the right, some more stairs, and another bedroom then the garage.

Should I really try to be maneuvering a long gun through all that? Iím not some elite operator with hundreds of hours of CQB training here. Iíll be some groggy homeowner in house slipppers.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #27
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
So a little deeper dive into this gave me that the only ďshadowĒ model you can get here is the CZ75 SP-01. Looks like the frame is fattened up under the barrel to allow a rail, and to add weight Iím sure which helps muzzle flip I imagine. Supposedly a super popular gun for competitive events.

Iím liking this a lot. The SP-01 is actually very reasonably priced too. Picked this picture off the google since I plan to add the light as well and I have that exact knife. So this is going on my short list. Thanks for getting me to take another look at CZ.

The Shadow 2 is not on the CA roster. They are all very expensive, and I guess they are factory hot rodded Shadows or something.
Awesome gun. In every way. The shadow2 has some nice frame checkering and some other nice features. But it is just a refinement of the Shadow Sp01.

What differentiates the Shadows from the B models, is the absence of a firing pin block (The ďBĒ in cz75B). So the trigger can be smoother and nicer.

You will not be disappointed in that gun. They are very nice and can be pumped a little with sexy grips and whatnot. But they are sweet right out of the box and will enjoy good resale should you decide you donít like it. But I have never seen someone not like it.

Or a regular SP01. Itís trigger is not as good, but it is an great gun. Not quite as nice as a shadow, but very good. And, many parts available if you did want to make it even nicer as time goes on.

Last edited by Brown81; 03-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: More info on regular SP01
Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #28
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
To clarify: there are the 75B SP01 and there The Shadow SP01. Actually severs shadow variations are available.

The 75B SP01 is a good introduction to CZ pistols. It is basically like an original CZ 75B with the Rail/full dust cover, as well as a big beaver tail and some other refinements.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Additionally, not to ring this out, but the heavy from end and general weight of an SP01 is going to soften recoil A LOT compared to a Glock. Glocks have a little snappiness to them and really can be difficult to shoot for relative newbs.
So it’s actually better for weaker hands like some of smaller stature and many females.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #30
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Echo the try-before-you-buy advice. Not so easy given current restrictions. Range here in Chico was still open early this week, but only to current members.

As a tennis pro, when the subject of racquet purchase is discussed, I always advise buying what appeals to the eyes. You know what attracts you. Don't compromise. I can recommend, but if someone hates the color red, that racquet will eventually find more time in the garage than the court.

And like a racquet, grip feel is more important than all other parameters. Can't hold it, won't hit it. Won't matter the caliber.

Good advice here- Cal Guns
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote