BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Shooting Gallery

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: None, but my brother has 54.
Name: Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPzPop View Post
I am really enjoying all the knowledge being dropped here after asking but a simple question

I got reassembled and working another C & R 22 today,

a Stevens "Favorite" 1915 which is a lever action falling block single shot

I ebay'ed the replacement firing pin, which precipitated an internal disassembly to access the retaining pin, and a rust boil-out because it was apart already and needed it

new firing pin leaves good strong impression on snap cap test

Both of these rifles courtesy of my late FIL's arsenal
Very cool indeed. Thank you for resurrecting these arms and giving them a new life!
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #17
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
stumbled on this thread and see some barf magic connection, so i'll share something else i stumbled upon via youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM8...y3vOJuzdqCXh1Q

this should be Mark Novak;s "anvil" channel. he is a gunsmith, all self taught as i understand. he is affiliated with another youtube channel called C+Arsenal that does info videos and fires old weapons. anyway they send Mark stuff to repair and he makes videos of those repairs. i am not a firearms enthusiast per se, but i find them interesting as machines, and i just love watching someone that knows what they're doing, do what they do. i've gleaned some info from his gunsmithing videos i've applied to my own woodworking tinkering projects.

the vidoes tend to be a little long, but watching on 1.5 speed usually you don't miss anything.

fascinating stuff.
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
i am not a firearms enthusiast per se, but i find them interesting as machines, and i just love watching someone that knows what they're doing, do what they do.
You may be surprised to learn that many firearm enthusiasts are there because of the combination "machinery" aspect of them, along with the history and development of them. Far and away from the applications and uses of firearms.

Kind like train fans that just marvel at these monsters moving about, and the machinations of it all.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #19
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

Motorcycles: zzr & xsr
Name: Simon
yes some of my favorite youtube channels and inspiration and appreciation for the C & R firearms world :

Anvil (Mark Novack, master gunsmith)

spun off of :

C & Rsenal - historical / political development of specific models, WW 1 focused (Othias and Mae)

Forgotten Weapons (Ian = Gun Jesus meme, mostly due to his looks)

InRangeTV (Karl and Ian and guests)

All of these channels interact with one another, and all of the presenters come off as more of historians, and less of hysterical pro-gun nutcases
GPzPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
900ss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
You may be surprised to learn that many firearm enthusiasts are there because of the combination "machinery" aspect of them, along with the history and development of them. Far and away from the applications and uses of firearms.

Kind like train fans that just marvel at these monsters moving about, and the machinations of it all.
I fall into this category. Although I do love to shoot (no creatures, just paper), I have always been fascinated with the different mechanisms that have been created to achieve the same end.

The simplicity of a Glock with about 35 parts vs the complexity of something like CZ and HK hammer fired guns is fascinating to me.

If you haven't seen one, check out the original Remington 51, which has no threaded fasteners. An ex-coworker of mine gave me his some time ago to clean because he couldn't figure out how to take it down.

Back to making parts...
Old 10-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #21
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ss View Post
I fall into this category. Although I do love to shoot (no creatures, just paper), I have always been fascinated with the different mechanisms that have been created to achieve the same end.

The simplicity of a Glock with about 35 parts vs the complexity of something like CZ and HK hammer fired guns is fascinating to me.

If you haven't seen one, check out the original Remington 51, which has no threaded fasteners. An ex-coworker of mine gave me his some time ago to clean because he couldn't figure out how to take it down.

Back to making parts...
Very similar sentiments here.

Broomhandle Mauser C96, only threaded part is the grip screw.

super complicated short recoil action. how did they come up with that ?
Old 10-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #22
900ss
Veteran

Here is the material hole-popped, ready to wire EDM. Exciting stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	538513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	538514  
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Super Jelly 900ss. I had so much fun in my machining class at SJ state and your tools look way better than the dinosaurs I used then.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
900ss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
Super Jelly 900ss. I had so much fun in my machining class at SJ state and your tools look way better than the dinosaurs I used then.
The wire EDM these are on is a relative dinosaur but it still holds tolerance. We have two Charmilles (GF Group) that can use wire as small as .0008" ō, and one Agie which goes as small as .002".
Old 10-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #25
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

just curious , where do dental picks come in to the picture? does your team need more of them ?
Old 10-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #26
900ss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPzPop View Post
just curious , where do dental picks come in to the picture? does your team need more of them ?
We use them in a number of ways. They can be handy for digging chips out of small diameter holes, scraping or clearing coolants or lubricants where no organic material (Q-tips etc) can remain, scraping chips out of machine areas etc. Some of the smaller parts we make that need to be inspected at 10x or higher magnification might need help with getting a small burr off in softer materials.

It's the kind of tool that if you have it can be invaluable.

I use them at home for scraping carbon from hard to reach areas in firearms, such as the hood in my CZ SP-01 or Target Sports. Of course, a soft touch is required. After Sunday I won't need to do this with the SP-01 as it is moving to another home.

I will ask around and see if anyone is interested in any, thank you.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #27
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ss View Post
It's the kind of tool that if you have it can be invaluable.
Dental picks are a staple at gun shows. Usually one or two tables piled with them.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #28
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
I use them for a ton of gun-related stuff. Also handy for other things around the house.

My grandson is totally into dinosaurs so we bought him these blocks of some substance that had dino bones in them. You dig out the bones and assemble the dino. the tools they gave were crappy so we used my gun cleaning picks and scrapers to do the job and it worked awesome.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
900ss
Veteran

Extractors

7 are finished, the other 4 will be done in the next few days. The machine is being cantankerous and not feeding the wire reliably.

Even though it pained me as a machinist not to deburr them, I didn't. Forgive me, but you need to do a little work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extractors, x7.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	538714  

Last edited by 900ss; 11-05-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 11-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #30
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

so cool, thanks again