Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #151
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Hit the road and not too far off I find another good picture stop to pass up. Yep it's one of those scenic roads.

In this picture you can see the hiking trail is still following the road.

Lotsa places to stop and take in the view.

You can see the other side of the bay here.

Spectacular panoramic views with Mt Fuji in the background. That's like a perfect commercial for tourism right there. Hey c'mon down to Japan and ride on our spectacular roads and visit Mount Fuji.

Mount Fuji in the distance

Statue with offerings
HadesOmega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #152
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Tracks for that last section of the day. Still an epic ride.

Having a good time

So you see why these roads are always clean. Earlier I saw an old lady cleaning up the road in a remote mountain road and these guys are cleaning up the road. That's great for riders last thing I want is be going through a corner and slipping on some leaves.

So by here that's pretty much all of the fun part, Nishi Izu Skyline Road. I hang a right here and am close to our destination for tonight the small hotspring town of Shuzenji.

Getting closer to my destination I pass by this sort of rest stop. It is called Mt. Daruyama Rest Stop (or is that Mount Daru? Because that's mount daru mountain)

So I am at Mt. Fuji Observatory and you'll find out why they call it that in a bit. Here's a little tour. Of course we have to have our favorite vending machines.

Toilets and vending machines what else could we need? I like how it has gaijin friendly signs too!

Here's a need map of the Shizuoka Prefecture/Peninsula that we are on right now.

Hard to see at the entrance there is a statue that looks like Confucius.

Are you ready for more epic shots of Mt. Fuji!? Here they are! From here you can see Mt. Fuji and many other mountain ranges. Believe it or not I am standing on a volcano right now also.

It is a tad hazy but it clears up

Panoramic at Mt. Fuji Observatory, freaking spectacular what a beautiful day for a ride!

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-04-2016 at 01:11 PM..
Old 05-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #153
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Alright not far left to go for our destination of the day. I hit the road after checking out the rest stop. I notice not far like quarter mile down the road is another rest stop but its closed.

Enjoying the last twists of Nishi Izu Skyline

Blurry in the picture but just out of nowhere there is a tree with pink leaves amongst other trees that have green leaves.

Uh oh according to Ms. Garmin I was suppose to turn back there.

So I turn around in the gravel here. Shhh don't tell Japan Bike Rentals I've been taking the yamamarunana off the pavement.

So you can see the turn I made on the left side of the map here.

From here on is a 1.5 lane roads

Still fun but I gotta really watch for traffic no but I encounter none. So look on the right there is a huge gutter. I was reading on the JBR website about these gutters and how only the countryside has them and that they are very dangerous for riders. Well there it is stay away from it.

After all the twisties are gone you descend into the town of Shuzenji

Old 05-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #154
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

So I'm nearly to my hotel and I'm riding around Shuzenji and I pass by this Nissan Skyline and had to turn around and check it out. It looked so out of place in the countryside. You don't need a bike power monster car like this out here. There was a real Nissan enthusiast out here because this bad boy was in PRISTINE condition. Further down the dirt lot there was a black 280ZX or or known as a Fairlady280Z in Japan. Very nice taste in cars you have there sir!

There it is I now present to you the Nissan R32 Skyline GTR. If you don't know what a Skyline is they never sold them in the states. It was a kind of luxury coupe or sedan. But this is a GTR model that comes with the Twin Turbo RB26DETT I6 engine and all wheel drive. This model the R32 was sold in the 90's so for how old this car is it was in fantastic condition. This is a predecessor to the modern Nissan GTR we have now. Very popular car for its amazing performance. Also this is the GTR model which makes it kind of rare and expensive. I think the only more rare model would be like a V-Spec or Nismo models.

Farther back was a Fairlady280Z, known by it's chassis code S130. They did sell these in the states as a 280ZX a Inline6 powered sports car.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-07-2016 at 02:52 AM..
Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #155
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Ok so after drooling over the Skyline and Z I head to the hotel and it wasn't easy to find. So Shuzenji is a sorts of hotspring town that has what they call Ryokan or Hotspring Resorts. The main focus of these town is of course the hotspring. There some VERY fancy ryokans in town I saw exotic cars parked there so those are for the highrollers. Me I had this very small ryokan tucked into an alley. But hey I'm travelling on a budget here.

Ok so the GPS says that I'm here already but I can't seem to find the address. So I'm riding up and down the block and realize it's in a very narrow alley way. Check my phone because I have the hotel info that JBR booked for me in my email and I confirm this is the right place because the phone number matches. Yay we made it.

That's the alley its in.

I park here next to this dope looking subaru with TE37s.

So I walk on over to the ryokan and confirm that it is the right on with the person at the front desk. They were a very nice old man and woman. I think the cost was about 9000 yen or like $80. I'll go over it later but it's a very traditional Japanese inn.

Here's that alley that goes to the ryokan

Here is the ryokan itself.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #156
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

MOVIES TIME!
These videos pretty much cover the rest of the day enjoy. That road was really amazing.

Nishi Izu Skyline Part 2
https://youtu.be/_IWMTp3ZOkk

Darumayama Rest Stop
https://youtu.be/a3pN1UnOzgU

HadesOmega oogles a R32 Skyline
https://youtu.be/AFCXH4xZolg

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-07-2016 at 02:51 AM..
Old 05-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #157
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Alright so it was the end of the 2nd riding day. It was a bit difficult communicating with the owners of the ryokan but they tried their best. I paid the 9000yen and they showed me to my room. I should also note you need to remove your shoes before you when you enter the building. It was a nice little place. What wound up happening for the rest of the night was I locked the bike up, had to go find food at the local convenience store, wandered around the town, and I did a review of the MT-07 since I got to really test the handling out today on the skyline road. I'll post a video on it in a bit. I should also mention I think I was the only one staying there that night it seemed.

So here's is my sink, it's immediately there right after you go through the entrance.

Here is the toilet room that's right next to the sink. It's a Japanese style toilet. That sink in the corner is one of those sinks where when you flush it and the water that you wash your hands goes to the toilet after. They also have western style toilet downstairs. There is also some toilet slippers your suppose to where when you go in there. I prefer the western toilet =P

Here is what the room looks like, it's pretty big. It had a tatami floormats (rice straw). You sleep on the futon also, its actually very comfortable.

This is the rest of the room, there is a chair, and a little coffee table. There's an old TV and fridge also. You can also see the air conditioner mounted on the wall there. Also notice the windows are those paper windows but there are glass windows behind it. Its kinda works like a blind.

So the bathing room is downstairs. Here's what the room looks like prior to going into the bath. So you take off your clothes and put them in that basket and put in one of the cubies. Oh yes I forgot to mention they give you a nice yukata to wear inside your closet, its a light weight kimono. Haha I had to figure out how to tie it. So that's what I'm wearing there.

Here's what the yukata looks like, yukata selfie! It's kinda like a bathrobe.

There are also sinks in this room.

Haha here are bathing instructions for those that don't know how a Japanese bath operates. Same dealie as the capsule hotel.

So you'll walk into the bath and there's a room with showers, stools, and an onsen or hotspring pool. Yes its a real hot spring that's why this is a hot spring town or ryokan. Its super hot and humid in here and that water is dripping all the time. That water is HOT also.

So there it is the tour of the ryokan I stayed at. Pretty cool traditional Japanese experience. JBR was the one that booked the hotel for me also, I told them I wanted the cheapest one and this is what I got, not bad. Also there are our favorite vending machines downstairs and one with beer also. There was even a koi pond in a room.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-08-2016 at 01:32 PM..
Old 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #158
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Alright time to go out to town. If you walk down the street a bit you're greeted by all the hotspring attractions. As you walk along the street you see those fancy ryokans the really upscale ones with fancy cars parked outside. So there's a river that runs through the town also and a buncha bridges to cross it.

This is Shuzenji Temple at night. It's closed right now but these are the steps that go inside.

A little further down the road is Hie Shrine a small shinto shrine. This is the tori or gate to the shrine. Remember don't walk down the center.

Here is the shrine and the offering box. I'll take a look at it before I leave the next day.

Also there are two huge beautiful cedar trees here. Supposedly the trees share the same roots so it's like it split into two trees.

Great place to walk around at night look at all the plants.

I think this is a spring that is dedicated to children. Its trippy you see this water flowing here but your not expecting it to be hot. You can see steam rising from it also.

This is a cool bamboo forest area. Like you see in all those samurai movies.

So after buying some grub from the combini I went through the bamboo forest and there this giant round bench here.

If you lie down on the bench this is what you see, you see stars (can't because of the camera) and you can see all the different kinds of tree leaves.

Here's dinner for the night some samiches and onigiri (rice balls)

END DAY 2

Last edited by HadesOmega; 05-08-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #159
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Video review of the MT-07 I rode during this trip:
https://youtu.be/JYuy-oBwqSY
Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #160
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Sorry anyone who is following my ride report I've been away on military training for 2 weeks. I'll try and finish this up and the Baja ride report when I make it home.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 AM   #161
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

I apologize from being AWOL for so long July was a very eventful month for me and I've been busy to stuff other than ride reports. This ride report is nearly finish and I will complete it. So here we go!

So last night I stayed at a little Ryokan, it was a great experience able to stay at a traditional hotspring inn.

I wake up and they have prepared breakfast for me. As far as I can tell I am the only one staying at this ryokan at this time. So here is a picture of the Japanese breakfast I had, have a little dining room right next to the lobby as you enter. First time I've had a Japanese breakfast it was delicious, consisted of tofu, some vegies, egg, fish, and oden.

After breakfast I head back into town for a walk and take some pictures.

Here you can see some fancy cars parked at this fancy ryokan. A Bentley (at least I think it is), Z, and Camaro!

Now that its day time I can get better pictures and the temples and shrines are open. Here is a picture of Shuzenji Temple in the day time. Very colorful!

This is the fountain where you are suppose to purify yourself

Picture of the temple courtyard

Nice architecture to admire

This is the entrance gate/tori to Hie Shrine in the daytime.

Hie Shrine

The massive twin trees at Hie Shrine

You can actually walk between them

Steps that go to the entrance of the shrine notice the guardian statues.

Another very large tree at the shrine it is right next to where they tie the wishes up.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 AM   #162
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

The river that runs through Shuzenji, it's HOT!

Its a nice little hotspring town I like the rear railing.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Events-an...150851a-XL.jpg

Here is a hotspring where you can sit or wade in. Notice the steam coming off the water.

Picture of the bridge going to the Temple

These type of small cars are very popular in Japan, they small but you can put a lot of people in them. Honda Dunk Turbo and a Daihatsu Tanto

The koi fish pond at the ryokan I was staying at, there's a beer machine right next to it too =P

Time to hit the road!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #163
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here I am read to take off starting off in Shuzenji, here's some tracks of the start point and what I've ridden so far.

So here's what lies ahead, I ride through the town of Shuzenji and am going to head to Hakone next.

Riding through town there's all sorts of traffic as usual on these very narrow streets. cars, scooters, people, me...

This is the spot where you can wade in the hotsprings

Crossing the fancy red bridge

Splitting the lane with people and a Kei truck

You can see this parking lot is for buses. This is a popular place for tourists. As I was leaving I could spot many asian tourists everywhere.

Out of the town and onto some real roads. To the left you can see a train station or at least the stairs to it.

Crossing this large river, oh look a Mitsubishi IMIEV

Still cruisin through this town

Remember in Japan you need to stop at railroad crossings

Ahhh now something different that beautiful Japanese countryside riding, love riding through rice paddie valleys!

I'll be riding along and then it'll suddenly get really narrow again.

Then it will open up again notice someone is burning something in this picture as you remember in the countryside they burn everything!

Last edited by HadesOmega; 08-12-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #164
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Continuing on still riding in the valley in the countryside

I pass by a group of riders here

No one waves to each other in Japan for some reason

Now its a little twistier and green everywhere

People working by the side of the road

What a great little road

So I emerge from the valley and see a gas station up ahead. I'm about at a half a tank of gas so I decide to fill up and it's one of those wonderful full service stations.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #165
Hooli
Trippin' balls

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Me so jealous.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo

Last edited by Hooli; 08-15-2016 at 06:55 AM..
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote