BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Guerneville Dual-sporting?

Is there anything legal, or is maps going to lead me astray as is frequently the case in Northern California... I'll be staying at a friends place in Guerneville this weekend and my DRZ's gas is getting stale so I'm thinking of riding it up there and back to give it some exercise. Looks like there may be some out and back roads to explore, and maybe a loop with some dirt and at least goaty pavement. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe this?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Guer...38.5018575!3e1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-24 6.23.05 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	541859  
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.


route looks great ... going counter clock-wise from Guerneville, I've camped up at Bullfrog Pond, and don't recall that the road goes through from there ... sure someone here knows the area better than I do.

Also, going clockwise from Guerneville, I usually have to make a left to stay on King Ridge to Tin Barn to Skaggs Springs ... I don't think Sewell Road goes through?

It's beautiful up there, and you should have a great time exploring on the DRZ ...

edit: think I remember that we're Lower Haigh neighbors? my KLR friend and myself will be having coffee at the Mercury Café tomorrow morning (Thursday, 2/25), if you're around. we won't have our bikes, but we could talk dual-sport routes.
9-ish, I guess.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 02-24-2021 at 07:06 PM..
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
KrustyKruser
El Chingon
 
KrustyKruser's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
I’m not to sure about your route from what look like King Ridge road to Venado as there are no public road connecting King Ridge road to mill creek road. There are a few private roads out there though. Otherwise the loop looks good but you would probably better off planning on going’s lol the way to Skaggs springs or stay south and check out the other roads in guerneville area such as Mays canyon, green valley road, along King Rodge road to sea view road and south to Fort Ross road. bohemian highway and the occidental area have decent enough riding but Sonoma doesn’t have the best selection for dirt. I’m always looking though.
__________________
2000 Honda XR 650R - The R stands for radiators.

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
buellistic
Veteran
 
buellistic's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Here
Motorcycles: kool loud one + 11 more
Name:
That's a great area
buellistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Kalvin00
Veteran
 
Kalvin00's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
One has to be very careful trusting Google maps. Your route past 'Venado' (which is nothing) on Mill Creek is a dead end at private property. And I am pretty sure that McCray Ridge has a gate as well.

Last edited by Kalvin00; 02-24-2021 at 09:21 PM..
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Thanks all, I kinda figured this was optimistic at best. Google maps seems to think I know people and lets me route on questionable roads when I use "cycling" directions. I've got a big tank so I don't mind having to back track. I was hoping there might be some dirt in the area but I kinda figured it was likely to be mostly private roads as that seems to be par for the course until you get further north.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post


edit: think I remember that we're Lower Haigh neighbors? my KLR friend and myself will be having coffee at the Mercury Café tomorrow morning (Thursday, 2/25), if you're around. we won't have our bikes, but we could talk dual-sport routes.
9-ish, I guess.
Thanks for the offer, you are correct I'm close by and I also enjoy coffee. I just saw this and I have a meeting at 9:15 (don't ask, I didn't choose that seemingly arbitrary time) so I did my typical covid commute of waking up at 8:50 to feed the dog and make coffee before the meeting.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
Kalvin00
Veteran
 
Kalvin00's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
Thanks all, I kinda figured this was optimistic at best. Google maps seems to think I know people and lets me route on questionable roads when I use "cycling" directions. I've got a big tank so I don't mind having to back track. I was hoping there might be some dirt in the area but I kinda figured it was likely to be mostly private roads as that seems to be par for the course until you get further north.
Kruse Ranch Road is about the only dirt I can think of, and it's only a couple miles.
https://goo.gl/maps/411QKRJDr8Gs7Mdj7

But lots of good goat roads out there to explore. Fort Ross Road, Seaview, Hauser Bridge, Tin Barn/King Ridge, etc..
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
Thanks for the offer, you are correct I'm close by and I also enjoy coffee. I just saw this and I have a meeting at 9:15 (don't ask, I didn't choose that seemingly arbitrary time) so I did my typical covid commute of waking up at 8:50 to feed the dog and make coffee before the meeting.
cool, enjoy your “9:15am” meeting ...

keep an eye out for me at my garage at Page and Fillmore, or at Tarragon ...

have fun with the Guernville/DRZ adventure!
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
cool, enjoy your “9:15am” meeting ...

keep an eye out for me at my garage at Page and Fillmore, or at Tarragon ...

have fun with the Guernville/DRZ adventure!
We're darn close, my garage is at Waller and Webster so likewise. In fact I'll be out there this afternoon working on the DRZ to prep for this weekend.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
Cabrito
cabrón
 
Cabrito's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Should be pounding the streets looking for work
Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin00 View Post
But lots of good goat roads out there to explore. Fort Ross Road, Seaview, Hauser Bridge, Tin Barn/King Ridge, etc..
I agree, and the roads are so fun I almost feel dirty riding them
__________________
_________________

Last edited by Cabrito; 02-25-2021 at 10:18 AM..
Cabrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
cool, enjoy your “9:15am” meeting ...

keep an eye out for me at my garage at Page and Fillmore, or at Tarragon ...

have fun with the Guernville/DRZ adventure!
We're darn close, my garage is at Waller and Webster so likewise. In fact I'll be out there this afternoon working on the DRZ to prep for this weekend.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
I agree, and the roads are so fun I almost feel dirty riding them
They are indeed, I just feel bad putting lots of "paved" miles on the chunky dirt tires on the DRZ when I have a perfectly good Hypermotard to flog, but it does need to be run and is still a hoot on rough roads...
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #14
dravnx
Veteran
 
dravnx's Avatar
 
AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: santa rosa, ca
Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
The road to Armstrong dead ends in the park. Ride Sweetwaters Springs to/from Westside. It's a really fun goaty road. It's on my regular rotation.
Old Caz Road also doesn't go through. Ride Cazadero Hwy or Austin Creek Rd to Caz Hwy. Both goaty as f*ck and fun.
If your looking for more goat, try Geysers Rd. One of my favorites. A couple of short sections of gravel/dirt, stunning views, fast sections, goaty sections, it has everything.
__________________
bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/

Last edited by dravnx; 02-25-2021 at 10:54 AM..
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #15
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
The road to Armstrong dead ends in the park. Ride Sweetwaters Springs to/from Westside. It's a really fun goaty road. It's on my regular rotation.
Old Caz Road also doesn't go through. Ride Cazadero Hwy or Austin Creek Rd to Caz Hwy. Both goaty as f*ck and fun.
If your looking for more goat, try Geysers Rd. One of my favorites. A couple of short sections of gravel/dirt, stunning views, fast sections, goaty sections, it has everything.
Good advice. I know there's a chunk of cement blocking Old Caz as I ran into that last time on the hyper. It was tempting to go around and explore, but not on a nice shiny bike with street tires. It seemed like the road is closed so the county doesn't have to maintain it, or does it end up private property? I'm certainly not looking to trespass.

Did Geysers a while back on the hyper and yes, that road is fantastic. Sweewaters looks like a fun one as well. Maps doesn't seem to think it goes through but looking the satelite images it looks like it does?

Got a couple different options I'm thinking about now, obviously not doing them all in one day as I'm supposed to be back at a reasonable time
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.