Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 10-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
DMo
Rookie

AMA #5004686

Motorcycles: BMW F900XR
Name:
Bay Area Honda dealers that offer test rides?

Hey Barfers,

Thinking about adding a second bike to the garage, and I'm not really willing to buy a bike without a test ride or demo first. The 2019 or later CB500X is on my list, but I can't seem to find a Honda dealer in the Bay Area that will offer a test ride. I've called four or five so far.

Incredibly, SF Moto offers test rides on all manufacturers' bikes EXCEPT Honda (so, Suzuki, Kawi, Zero).

None of the local dealers seem to participate in any sort of demo truck days with Honda either. So, anyone know a Honda dealer that offers test rides?
DMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
It's rare to find any dealer that offers test rides on Japanese bikes. The dealers selling European and American motorcycles are much more likely to let you ride them.

And don't expect any demo trucks in the near future either.

I can see two options: look for a used one and take a test ride on that - or find some kind soul here on BARF with one who will let you ride their bike for a few minutes.

So let me ask you this - what do you expect to be able to learn from a test ride? I can think of four bikes that I bought new without a test ride, plus a few used ones. Because I had studied the bikes ahead of time I was not disappointed with any of them. I already knew that they were what I wanted. Are you sure you can't just buy one and enjoy it for what it is?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
guycole
Rookie

AMA #4140935
Contributor

Motorcycles: VFR 800, KLR 650
Name: Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post

So let me ask you this - what do you expect to be able to learn from a test ride?
I want a fully formed opinion about my investment. Right now, I am shopping for a tourer and I hope to rent candidates for a quality afternoon ride. So, perhaps more than a test ride, but something.

The "take it or leave it" attitude from the dealers is also a little difficult to tolerate. OTOH, I haven't purchased a new motorcycle from a dealer since 1983.
guycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
I definitely sympathize with the op. I hate that it’s so hard to get test rides in the motorcycle world. I’ve owned a bunch of bikes and I’m not interested in buying anything I can’t try first to see how all the ideas I have in my head and all the words I’ve read in reviews match up to what it actually feels like to turn a wheel. I’ve been drooling over the RS660 for nearly two years, but even that bike I’ll wait until someone will give me a demo ride before I’ll fork over many thousands of dollars with no-take-backsies. I can’t think of anything else that costs what motorcycles cost that you can’t either try first or return if you’re not satisfied.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
atoyf
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
I agree, Japanese bikes dealerships suck in that regard, i never felt welcome from that perspective.

When I was shopping for my last two bikes (both ended up being BMWs)I absolutely loved the fact that I got a better bike and got to test ride it before i buying it.

But to answer your question, when i was on the market, i was calling all and any dealerships in an acceptable to me radius and just asked what i needed, including test riding
Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
I think demos can be arranged for Goldwings. For CB500? Not so much.

However some dealers will let a serious buyer go through the purchase, with the option to rescind it a short time after if they didn't like the bike when they rode away.

Not a way to try a lot of bikes to see which you want, it but could prevent making an expensive purchase mistake.

Freemont Honda would do that a few years ago. You could ask, if you're interested.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
eddiecycles
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 09 crf450x, 08 cbr1000rr, 13 RMZ450, and a few others i cant think of right now...
Name: Eddie
That's pretty much how we still do things. Some models we can place into demo, however right now new inventories are so low it's definitely way easier to get a test ride on a pre-owned unit.
Hope that helps.

Eddie / Fremont Honda Kawasaki Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I thinkdemos can be arranged for Goldwings. For CB500? Not so much.

However some dealers will let a serious buyer go through the purchase, with the option to rescind it a short time after if they didn't like the bike when they rode away.

Not a way to try a lot of bikes to see which you want, it but could prevent making an expensive purchase mistake.

Freemont Honda would do that a few years ago. You could ask, if you're interested.
www.fremontmoto.com

www.fremonthondakawasaki.com
eddiecycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #8
ksandvik
abracadabra

Motorcycles: <getting a new one>
Name:
It's even hard to find new cb500x 2019-20 just now, new shipment of 2021 bikes coming in November.

I think you could get a better deal with a 2017-2018 slightly used cb500x (slightly different look and different panel), and then you could even test-ride one.
ksandvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
fufo47
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR 2016 KTM 350 SXF
Name: Jose
but what's the point of the demo if they are usually just a spin around the block where you're barely able to shift out from 2nd gear... Really, all you can assess is how the bike sounds... you're probably better off renting a bike from someone from a day from a ride/share app like Twisted Road or something like that...
fufo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
edzx6
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki GSXS1000F, KDX220R, CBR600F4, YZF250, DRZ400S, Ninja 250, FZR400, FZR400 3TJ, RD400 in boxes
Name:
When I worked for a Kawi/Suzu dealership in the 80's we offered test rides. You had to have your motorcycle license and we did it only on bikes like the Transalp and Zephyr. We never let anyone take a ZX7 or GSXR out for a test ride. We certainly didn't let anyone ride a KX500 or RM250 around the parking lot.

We stopped doing this because people are fuckheads and they would fall over with them and then claim there was damage there before. Remember, this was before we all walked around with cameras and could video the bike and how it was before it left. Never a crash, usually just a tip over and slight scuff on the bar end. They also had to be serious and we were over 80% sure we had a sale. Still, like I said people are fuckheads and have ruined it for everyone.
edzx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
superhypered
(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)

AMA #: 2917564

Motorcycles: 2015 CB1000R 2006 CBR600RR 2003 450 MXC 1985 XR350
Name: Tommy
When I used to sell bikes, a road test would be a final closing tool. Unless we had a specific demo bike, such as the Scrambler 1100 or the new Goldwing, we wouldn't offer the road test as most people were not a serious buyer.

However, if you are dead set on that particular bike, go to a dealer of your choice and explain that you are very interested, but need to ensure it is a good fit before purchase. If you already have funds in order and ready to go, or even better if you complete a finance application and recieve an approval, then the dealer will be much more willing to work with you. Go through all the paperwork leaving off your signature with the road test being the deal maker or breaker.

People should not expect to road rest every single bike though. When I used to be in sales, it was just me, my coworker, and our sales manager selling bikes. One time my coworker called in sick on a Friday, and one of his customer's comes in prepared to road test four bikes during a busy time! I was very unhappy with my coworker at that, and I think I only got the customer on one or two bikes, but needless to say, he did not make any purchases.
superhypered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
ksandvik
abracadabra

Motorcycles: <getting a new one>
Name:
Also having demo drives on most new mikes pushes up the mileage and at some point it's no longer a new bike and less interest in purchasing it.

If a dealer has a used bike for sale there's a better chance for a demo ride.
ksandvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
superhypered
(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)

AMA #: 2917564

Motorcycles: 2015 CB1000R 2006 CBR600RR 2003 450 MXC 1985 XR350
Name: Tommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Also having demo drives on most new mikes pushes up the mileage and at some point it's no longer a new bike and less interest in purchasing it.

If a dealer has a used bike for sale there's a better chance for a demo ride.
Piggybacking on this, but if the used bike is on consignment there, they cannot let you ride it at all as they do not own it. The way around this is to complete your purchase, and then they can take you out on a road test. If you like it then you're already paid and ready to go. Otherwise they can reverse the purchase and give you your money back. They do that in case you crashed the bike, as they do not own it.
superhypered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufo47 View Post
but what's the point of the demo if they are usually just a spin around the block where you're barely able to shift out from 2nd gear... Really, all you can assess is how the bike sounds... you're probably better off renting a bike from someone from a day from a ride/share app like Twisted Road or something like that...
The Livermore dealers were able to offer decent test rides. Tri-Valley Moto (CalMoto now?), California Speed Sports, and Livermore Harley-Davidson all have great riding of all varieties close by.

California Speed Sports only ever let me ride a bike out of their dealership when they had a demo truck - Aprilia and Moto Guzzi. The other two let me take bikes out on my own, and that is what actually caused me to purchase my first KTM (990 Adv). But even on the demo rides, if I was able to talk my way into being near the front I was usually able to get a good feel for how a bike behaved. Getting stuck behind a newbie rider with limited skills wasn't so great, though.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
EBDan
Rookie

Motorcycles: R3, F750GS
Name: Daniel
Some folks I used to work with would rent bikes to test out for a day before they made a buying decision via https://www.riders-share.com You may not find the exact bike, but maybe find a prior year? Just a suggestion...
EBDan is offline   Reply With Quote