Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
jimboecv
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: europhile
Name:
Road Trip: Salt Lake City in June. Routes?

I'm looking for routes to Salt Lake. A couple of us are planning a two day trip out and back and are trying to find routes that aren't stupid-boring.
I know, tall order.
I've looked into 'northern' routes and there's not much there. Down to Bakersfieldish, over to 'vegas and into so. Utah is starting to look like the option.

Based on the bikes, I'd say were looking for gas around 100 miles, min., maybe 125 max (you know how it is).

Thanks for the help,
Jimbo
Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
wsmc831
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1997 TL1000s 2010 690 Enduro R 2013 500Exc 2017 1290 Super Duke R
Name:
395 south
120 east (great section)
6 to tonopah (long, straight, barren) and through to SLC

coming back you've got 50 or 80, both boring on a bike, 50 is less boring. Gas isn't an issue.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children

Motorcycles: antisocially distantanced
Name: bobesponja
50 isn't that boring, I enjoied the streach from Ely to Fallon

Support bacteria, itís the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....

BARF Admin / 2010 Barfie Winner
Founding Member
Contributor +++++++++++ BB

Motorcycles: ~ 09 BMW RT1200P ~ 05 FJR1300 ~
Name: Lincoln 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
395 south
120 east (great section)

coming back you've got 50 or 80, both boring on a bike, 50 is less boring. Gas isn't an issue.
Ohhh sooooooo true!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120 east.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	238184   Click image for larger version

Name:	120 east fork.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	238185  

Looking for a great dog? I raise Vizslas. PM for info. Next litter due in November.www.ddranchvizslas.com
silversvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
395 south
120 east (great section)

very long very straight and a great place to see how fast your bike can go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 east.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	238186  

Looking for a great dog? I raise Vizslas. PM for info. Next litter due in November.www.ddranchvizslas.com
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
jimboecv
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: europhile
Name:
50 seems kinda under rated. There is something about 'boring' riding when you get your head around it.

Ideas from pashinit;

But if you are adventurous, or simply curious, and you enjoy seeing interesting towns, and a very unique roadway -- where you go between climbing and descending little ranges and then dumping out into flat basins for 10-15 mile stretches which allow you to soak up the splendor of the landscape, then make your way to Hwy 50.

I have toured quite extensively through the US, southwest Asia, Canada, and Australia, and there is no other roadway I have been on that quite replicates The Loneliest Hwy in America, Hwy50.

I would even suggest it is a ride everyone should take at least once if only to diversify a lifetime of riding experiences.

Another

We visited SLC last June, and the ride thru the isolated vistas of Nevada was Spectacular! We went from Fresberg Over Tioga, thru downtown Benton Hot Springs, metropolitan Tonopah, and overnighted in Ely. Second day was Ely to Wendover, across the Great Salt Lake to SLC. Maximum miles between fuel was 150 miles. Contrary to the other posts, there are some wonderful long winding canyons out there where you least expect them. Also great historical markers, if ya are interested in that kinda stuff.

Ya get lemons ya make lemonade, right?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Lupin
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2006 BMW GSA
Name:
I rode a fairly long section of the #50 last summer and really enjoyed it. There is something about the solitude it offers that brings on a great zen while riding it. Some might find it boring, but I loved it. Here's a section from my blog about riding the 50....

------------------------------------------------------
My plan was to ride about 25 miles past Reno along highway 80 and then head into the less traveled highway 50 deep into Nevada. I made great time in the morning and rode past Reno (blah) around 9:30am. Highway 50 was pretty cool. The road was single lane in each direction and stretched off far into the horizon after each corner.

At one point I rode into a valley surrounded by hills, as I was descending into it I thought I saw a bird flying really fast skimming across the ground. To my amazement, after flying straight for a few seconds, it shot straight up into the sky! It took a few seconds for my pea brain to register that I was watching a fighter jet practicing over the desert! Cool! I pulled over and parked on the side of the road to stretch my legs and watch for a little while. It turns out the jet was accompanied by two others, one that was a little behind him and another that seemed to stay off to the sides watching them. I managed to take a couple of pictures but it really underscored the idea that I need a telephoto lens. I watched for about 15 minutes before I got bored (damn you short attention span!) and rode on.

Nevada was far more interesting then I thought it was going to be. I expected it to be empty, quiet and lonely. It was all those things and more.

The scrub desert was beautiful and I could ride for sometime before another vehicle would pass me heading in the opposite direction. Old run down buildings dotted the road and charred foundations underscored how off the beaten path it was. I passed a burned down strip club far from any settlements with only it’s sign left along the side of the road. Quentin Tarantino would have loved it.

The straight roads and empty landscape brought on a zen kind of feeling only broken by surprises the desert would offer up. Riding around a corner I came across a single cow walking along the center line. I hadn’t seen any cows for hours and certainly hadn’t expected to find one out in the scrub all alone strolling along the middle of the road. It was just as surprised to see me and didn’t seem to register I was there until I was almost beside him. At that point it lout out a bellow and tried to turn around and run, instead, it’s feet slid out on the asphalt and it went ass over tea kettle onto the pavement. I rode past it laughing while the cow tried to muster as much dignity that a cow can while trying to get back onto its feet.

In the afternoon I rode past a huge sand dune. I’ve seen some pretty big dunes in my time, the ones along the Oregon coast, Death Valleys dunes and the ones along the bottom of California. This set of dunes dwarfed them all. It was a mountain of sand. I could see a couple of atvs running up the side of it and they were specks. Fleas on an elephant. Looking back on it, I wish I had stopped and checked it out, but the road leading to it was covered in deep sand, and I wasn’t real keen on trying to pick up my fully loaded bike on the chance that I wipe out.

The day was really hot. It was over 95F/30C but I didn’t cook so long as I kept moving. It was when I slowed down that the heat would catch up. I rode most of the day without seeing much of anyone. The occasional trucks heading the opposite direction and a few atvs on the sand dune. I started seeing groups of Hardley riders now. Packs of five or six would give me a nod as they rode past. Strange. I was still a long way from anywhere but I kept seeing more and more of them. Eventually I came across the reason why.

A lone old school gas station in the middle of no where was having a Hardley gathering. The gas station was a rustic old building that looked like it had been there forever. A single rusted pump sat out front. They had a bar-bee-q going on the corner of the gravel lot and plenty of tents pitched on the dirt. Spotless chrome lined the front of the gas station and along the edges of the lot. Well weathered tattooed men hung out under a tree and in front of the gas station. Another large group roared into the parking lot while I stood in front of the pump weighting my options. Me, standing there with my big BMW, full face helmet and full riding gear. Them with their Harleys, chaps, bandannas and no helmets. I certainly stood out. Pbthhhh….. Whatever. A rider is a rider is a rider. I hopped off my bike and went into the building to pre-pay for my gas. It turns out the building is also a bar. Country music was playing and the bar had people having lunch from the greasy grill behind it or just sipping cold beer. The woman working the place was frying up some burgers, slinging suds and chatting up the customers all at once. When she asked what she could get me and I told her gas, she said to just go ahead and pump it and come back in and tell her how much it came to. Wow! You don’t see people that trusting to often. I filled the tank, paid and left. On the way out of the lot another group of riders were coming in. They all gave me a nod as I rode past. I left thinking they had something pretty good going on back there.

I eventually left the quiet of the back roads and rejoined the 80 to head for Salt Lake City....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go in expecting it to be boring, you'll probably get what your looking for. For myself, I loved it.

(I managed to ride from San Jose to Salt Lake City in one day. A personal best for me! 850 miles! WOOT!)

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by Lupin; 01-12-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversvs View Post
very long very straight and a great place to see how fast your bike can go
lol...yea, and the road is so straight (one valley I measured was 18 miles of dead straight) you can do nothing but keep it averaged at 100 and barely pass camry's. First time we came up 375 was 94, we stopped and played cards in the middle of the road and didn't see a single persone the entire game.

also, on 120, watch out for livestock, especially around the woops!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Hod Smithers
Dreamer

Motorcycles: '04 Victory Kingpin, '01 Honda Shadow/Sabre 1100, 1979 Yamaha XS1100 cafe conversion
Name: Holbard
Here's a northern option for you, it is a bit long, but it would be pretty scenic.

Head towards Redding area (however is best from where you are).
Take 44 from Redding to Susanville area.
Then 395 from Susanville to Reno
Reno to Fallon on 80
Fallon to Ely on 50 (from here you can shorten the trip and head to Wendover on 93, or take the next alternative):

Ely to Baker area on 50 (Great Basin Nat'l Park and Lehman caves, the caves are a must see) it would probably be a 1/2 hour detour.

Go back to 6 and go towards Silver City. Once you get to this area, you have a couple options:
36 to Rush Valley area and then 199/73 to Lehi
then I-15 to SLC area.

OR:
6 to Goshen then 68 on the back side of Utah Lake and head towards SLC area on 68 (Redwood RD.)

There some great southern Utah routes that have some options to see some redrock and nat'l parks there too.

Since I'm a local (West Jordan Ut.) I kinda know my way around. If you need any routes while in Utah, let me know, I'd be glad to make some suggestions.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
silversvs
Lean, Twist, repeat.....

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hod Smithers View Post
There some great southern Utah routes that have some options to see some redrock and nat'l parks there too.

Since I'm a local (West Jordan Ut.) I kinda know my way around. If you need any routes while in Utah, let me know, I'd be glad to make some suggestions.
Slight thread hijack--

Hod Smithers, please see this thread

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=230869

I'm planning on terrorizing southern Utah in early April. Love to get an idea of weather and good routes.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Hiway 12. It's definately a destination road. Found it by accident in 97, went back specifically to see that road. Twice.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Hod Smithers
Dreamer

Motorcycles: '04 Victory Kingpin, '01 Honda Shadow/Sabre 1100, 1979 Yamaha XS1100 cafe conversion
SilverSVS: I will check on a few things and respond to you when I get home for specifics. I may have to take my wife out tonight, but expect something this weekend for sure.
In Colorado, you should do the Million Dollar Highway, and the area through and around Durango, Silverton and Telluride. Although, in April you will might still have snow, if not, it would still be chilly at night. I go up that way every June to a Victory Rally, and it is some of the best scenic riding I've ever done.

Utah has a bunch of places to see, some were mentioned in some of the other posts. You will probably have to pick a few places and see those, due to time constraints. I will go home, look at my maps and pick some of my fav's.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Yep, million dollar highway! I did that in May of 97 and except for the gravel it was clear of snow. Good luck with the map, I think it would be easier to tell him what NOT to ride in southern Utah and colorado, so many good roads :-)
Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Hod Smithers
Dreamer

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond this weekend. I'm trying to get ready to go on a cruise this week. I will get back to you, I promise.

wsmc831 has it correct, its hard to pick a bad route... so many roads!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Hod Smithers
Dreamer

Ok, Here are some suggestions. I hope this isn't too confusing...

If you come from Vegas, then just take whatever route from there to St. George area.
From St.George, take 9 towards Springdale and Zion National park.
From there you can continue on 9 to MT. Caramel Junction.
Take 89N to Hatch, then the jct. to 12
Take 12 towards Hanksville area
The roads splits there and you can go either North or South. (I've never taken the south route)
North takes you up towards 70 and Moab area (Arches Nat. Park and Canyonlands, and Dead horse point State park. Moab Is a great place to stop. You can go to all the parks I just mentioned from there. Eat at Eddie Mcstiffs
So many options from Moab:
OPT:You can take 191 to La Sal jct. to 46(UT)/ 90(CO) to Naturita then 145 to 62 to Ridgway

*OPT: go to Monticello the take old hwy 666 and turn off onto 141 it is a worthwile road! Egnar to Slickrock and then to Disappointment Valley. Meet up with 90 at Naturita.

OPT: 491 to Cortez area and Mesa Verde then to Durango

*From there, there are some great options too: 184 & 185 are great roads! back way to Telluride through Stoner and Rico, great Scenery (My favorite)
550 Durango to Silverton (million dollar Highway) Great ride!

If you are coming from the north through Reno, Take the route I mentioned earlier in this thread and head towards Cedar City from Baker and hook up to 12 from Cedar or go all the way down to Zions from there.

If you want to stay further south, you can head towards Kanab on 89 and head into Arizona on 67 and see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then head back to Marble Canyon on 89. Then head north by Lake Powell and up towards all the parks and into Colorado. I've only done this once, in a cage...

I hope that Helps, and I haven't confused the issue.