AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor+++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ ++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon View Post
Hey all. Unfortunately I'm out for this weekend. BROTRUK is going in for a new transmission this weekend and I'm flying out for Vacation Monday morning. Just not able to make all the things happen. Have a blast!
but but but...AMY!!!
If you want you can borrow Tundar as I will be arriving in the little auction van.
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoyf View Post
DMV test is not there to teach or prove you can ride the bike, it is there to prove that you can control the bike.
HOHO
Melissa"everyone does have issues, it is what makes us all so very interesting. Psychoanalysis however could be left to the professionals."
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #197
Pelon
Lurker

Community Contributor

Motorcycles: 11 ZX10R, 04 Multistrada, 08 450EXC-R, 05 CRF450R SuMo, , 04 CRF150F tracker
Name: Pelon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
but but but...AMY!!!
If you want you can borrow Tundar as I will be arriving in the little auction van.
Awe.. I really appreciate that but it's just not going to work out. I've also just hired a new employee that I'm trying to get up to speed before PTO so working some crazy hours... Just can't wait for Sunday to get here soon enough...
Old 04-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #198
Leo_jb
City boy

Motorcycles: '00 XR400; '06 KLR650; '02 YZ250
Name: Leo
Looks like I won't be heading up until Saturday. Hope there's still space available for my tent!
Leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #199
wheel_muse
bicycles 'n motos

Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: '18 Honda NC750XD
Name: Brian
Question Ride up Friday

Anyone passing Cordelia or thereabouts on the way up on Friday am?
wheel_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #200
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: DR-Z400S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel_muse View Post
You know, if nobody takes me up on my offer to meet at Tam Junction and ride in through Upper Lake, I may prefer to meet up with you in Cordelia rather than ride solo. What time are you looking to meet up? I'm hoping sometime before 8 am so we can take a fun (time consuming) route to Grey Pine and get there in the early afternoon.

I already pieced together a route (tracks attached, change file extension to .gpx) that stays on paved roads, but I can easily rework it to go on blue square trails and fire roads once we reach the forest. As it stands it's 120 miles from Cordelia to Grey Pine, I can't imagine that would take more than 3 hrs. Changing the last 30-40 miles to dirt would probably lengthen it to 4 or 5 hrs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Cordelia_Sbucks_to_Grey_Pine_DS_Ride_v01.txt (85.8 KB, 3 views)
quicksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #201
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy View Post
I see you have chosen to ride in on Penny Pines trail 37..... Keep in mind of the deadfall (though it's been getting cleared regularly) on that trail. If you are riding in with camping gear I would suggest the M10 just north of that trail....
I think OaklandF4i and 1962siia may have been that way recently to advise you.

I'm hoping to be up there Thursday or Friday, can't wait to ride with folks and hang out by the fire.
Thanks for checking out my tracks! If I encounter something I can't deal with on the trail I will backtrack to M10 (shows up as 301C in some places on MVUM).
Old 04-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #202
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel_muse

Originally Posted by quicksparks
You know, if nobody takes me up on my offer to meet at Tam Junction and ride in through Upper Lake, I may prefer to meet up with you in Cordelia rather than ride solo. What time are you looking to meet up? I'm hoping sometime before 8 am so we can take a fun (time consuming) route to Grey Pine and get there in the early afternoon.

I already pieced together a route (tracks attached, change file extension to .gpx) that stays on paved roads, but I can easily rework it to go on blue square trails and fire roads once we reach the forest. As it stands it's 120 miles from Cordelia to Grey Pine, I can't imagine that would take more than 3 hrs. Changing the last 30-40 miles to dirt would probably lengthen it to 4 or 5 hrs.
This one is 127 miles, last ~20 miles is dirt. Easy fire road and forest road (blue square). Should take less than 4 hrs. Highest elevation is 4300 ft.

edit: the gps tracks are split into two "days." That's just something furkot does, the web app I use to plan routes. I thought I knew how to make it stop but apparently it did it for this one.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Cordelia_Sbucks_to_Grey_Pine_DS_Ride_v02.txt (90.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by quicksparks; 04-13-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #203
stangz
Veteran

Contributor +++++++

Motorcycles: CRF250X, DRZ400S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_jb View Post
Looks like I won't be heading up until Saturday. Hope there's still space available for my tent!
Hopefully not underneath the transformer this time!
stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #204
rebekahlynn
racer x

AMA #2956245
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: fun ones
Name: rlb
Quote:
We'll squeeze you in somewhere! You riding the big bike up?
rebekahlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #205
Leo_jb
City boy

Motorcycles: '00 XR400; '06 KLR650; '02 YZ250
Name: Leo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangz View Post
Hopefully not underneath the transformer this time!
LOL. It took me a minute to realize what you were talking about! Yeah, I'll stay away from the transformer this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahlynn View Post
We'll squeeze you in somewhere! You riding the big bike up?
Nope. My son and I are trailering the dirt bikes up. Looking forward to seeing you.
Leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #206
wheel_muse
bicycles 'n motos

Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: '18 Honda NC750XD
Name: Brian

You know, if nobody takes me up on my offer to meet at Tam Junction and ride in through Upper Lake, I may prefer to meet up with you in Cordelia rather than ride solo.

Sorry, prob not going to work. I'm riding at a touring pace, shooting for a mostly paved route. I don't wanna keep you waiting or hurt any low-hanging fruit on my nc750 ⚠️
wheel_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #207
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel_muse View Post

You know, if nobody takes me up on my offer to meet at Tam Junction and ride in through Upper Lake, I may prefer to meet up with you in Cordelia rather than ride solo.

Sorry, prob not going to work. I'm riding at a touring pace, shooting for a mostly paved route. I don't wanna keep you waiting or hurt any low-hanging fruit on my nc750 ⚠️
K no problem!
Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #208
Mario
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM/Triumph/GSXR
Name: Mario
Unfortunately I will have to skip this ride. I went dirt riding last weekend and injured my wrist Hope you all have a good ride!
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #209
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Quote:
Leo, going to be great to see you, catch up, and hopefully ride with you and Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksparks View Post
Thanks for checking out my tracks! If I encounter something I can't deal with on the trail I will backtrack to M10 (shows up as 301C in some places on MVUM).
Not sure of your familiarity with riding up in Mendo or your skill level... so take with a grain of salt. These are general comments. Haven't downloaded your tracks, just based on the few posts I'm gleaning a bit of your proposed routes.

For those not used to riding up here and using a "Hollister or SVRA" difficulty scale, the blues in Mendo are more often like blacks or harder on the Hollister scale, especially going uphill. Frankly, a number of us regulars laugh when riding Penny Pines area as there is little difference between the green, blue, and black trails sometimes (when comparing to Hollister or other SVRA areas.) In otherwords, any can have difficult or washed out sections that are difficult for some riders.

A long jeep or forest road climb can also be difficult depending on the conditions of it. Climbs in Mendo are also not a few hundred yards like in Hollister, but miles and miles long.

Forest Rd 17N04 (Twin Valley Rd) does not go all the way through from Bartlett Springs Rd to the M10, it's locked out at Salt Creek.

Trail 37 going east isnt bad in Penny Pines, but there are a few sections on the south end of trail 7 getting to it that have a couple of technical descents and a short rocky climb out of a creek.

Trail 6 in Penny Pines (French Ridge) is in good shape and most anyone should be able to get through it, though there is a very large tree down near the end on the east side, just have to walk/work around. Road it just a week ago. Forest Rd 17N07 is in very good shape after the fire, and good alternate route up into Stonyford from Penny Pines. I have not ridden it this year, since before the holidays, so unaware of tree situation there.

I wouldnt suggest Spanish or Indian Ridge from Bartlett Springs Road for anyone but experienced dirt riders. M5 up the hill is a better choice, and if water is high at the crossing (it shouldnt be) work your way east as water level generally drops as you go that direction.

Post up a list of the trails/roads you are considering if you want feedback.

Stonybarf!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 04-13-2021 at 09:55 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:58 PM   #210
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Unfortunately I will have to skip this ride. I went dirt riding last weekend and injured my wrist Hope you all have a good ride!
Bummer..... hopefully next time. I assume you got your crank seal issue worked out.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote