Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWF View Post
They also claim that swept area is moving around on wave rotors for better heat transfer and braking performance. If true they have advantage over stock ones.
Surface swept by pad is smaller on wave rotors as well.
Fact is they are not legal if you keep argument about 5 year or older out of it. There is reason they are not legal
Well, in the AFM for 2014, tech has ruled them legal for 5 years and older bikes!
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #47
TWF
training hard

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: sv's
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Well, in the AFM for 2014, tech has ruled them legal for 5 years and older bikes!
Than you should clarify that rule if that is what they want it to be. Because that is not what is written in rule book, at least not clearly.
And there is no OEM that does not make rotors for 5 year old bike. Think you have to go back 20 years before it gets discontinued.
TWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #48
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir View Post
That was my rule submission. Five+ year old bikes can run aftermarket bolt ons, just no custom fabrications. The intent is to encourage economically challenged racers to break out old bikes and race since this helps close some of the performance gap to new bikes. If some think it's too much of an advantage, I'd be glad to trade my 05' for their new bike
no; the approved submission was not yours, nor was that the the reason it went though.

I proposed this and got it through, based on the fact that around 5 years after and "end run" of a model, the mfgr may cease to have parts available, making aftermarket parts a needed option.
It had NOTHING to do with the involved economics of parts purchasing.

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman

Last edited by duh_ave; 04-06-2014 at 10:47 PM..
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #49
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27007RT View Post
You bet. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. I think that we should allow for the cheapest possible solution in a case like yours.

My EBC Vee Rotors are the same dimension as my stock rotors but they are definitely made from higher quality stainless steel. I can imagine that older model years would feature rotors of a thicker dimension than the OEM part.
Tim, another part of the decision/ interpretation, is that as various models become eligible for the aftermarket rotor allowance, more and more of them came with wave rotors, and it's difficult to keep track of the various specifics, so it was interpreted this way, partially, to make tech "simpler"

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #50
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Than you should clarify that rule if that is what they want it to be. Because that is not what is written in rule book, at least not clearly.
And there is no OEM that does not make rotors for 5 year old bike. Think you have to go back 20 years before it gets discontinued.
Good point and we talked about this last year; putting out competition bulletins with the e-blast system.
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #51
SonoraMike
2StrokeAddict

Motorcycles: R1 AFM 187, GS1100G, RZ350, YZ250, CR500, CB550, GSXR750, GT750, 125 shifter kart, Tank Scooter, wi
Name: Mike
so can I legally run my rear numbers on the bottom of the lower fairing like shown in the first post? The tail for the 03 R1 is nearly flat on the area where the numbers would mount, would seem more visible down low
SonoraMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #52
Corey
GPz550 Addict

Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 (Race Bike) '85 GPz550
Name: Corey
Quote:
I agree. Production rotors and brakes only for under 10 years, unless the OEM is no longer available from the dealer. If not, then all production bikes should be allowed to run wave rotors. The stock front rotors are still available from Suzuki for my 2003 SV650, but retail for $231.00 each.
AFM #44
Motion Pro, TWF Racing, CT Racing Pirelli, Fastline Cycles, Racer Gloves USA, Race Image Graphics, Galfer, CRS Tuning, TWELV51 Racing, Driven, Zero Gravity, Oxymoron, Dynojet, K&N, SPEEDMOB.
Mater: You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! You know, I used to crash into her just so I could speak to her.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #53
frozenuts
I make words too.

AMA #: 2860804
Barf Racing Photo Guru
Contributor + Barf Brick

Motorcycles: A revolving stable of press machines.
Name: Other Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoraMike View Post
so can I legally run my rear numbers on the bottom of the lower fairing like shown in the first post? The tail for the 03 R1 is nearly flat on the area where the numbers would mount, would seem more visible down low
I think the sides and undertail are more visible than the top of the tail on most modern bikes.

This is from a photog's view, not a turn worker's, but I should also add that I get asked numerous times in a race weekend to identify the number of a bike.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #54
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenuts View Post
I think the sides and undertail are more visible than the top of the tail on most modern bikes.

This is from a photog's view, not a turn worker's, but I should also add that I get asked numerous times in a race weekend to identify the number of a bike.
If the bike is upright it is easier since most flat surfaces on newer tails are facing straight up. A downed bike would be more difficult to read, it seems.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #55
frozenuts
I make words too.

Barf Racing Photo Guru
Contributor + Barf Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If the bike is upright it is easier since most flat surfaces on newer tails are facing straight up. A downed bike would be more difficult to read, it seems.
Assuming the top of the tail is facing the turnworker, or that the subframe even stayed attached then it is perfect. The sense of number urgency is more for if a rider made a shady pass, has an off and on, has parts falling off, etc. than it is for a downed rider. The handler is usually there pretty quickly (we have great turn workers) and can signal the number, where as if the rider is still circulating and happens to be a red and white bike in a pack of red and white bikes...

If the front number was missed on this bike, where is the best location for a rear number? Keep in mind I was standing well above the turn worker in this corner and I can still see the undertail.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #56
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
I was agreeing with you, Max (that belly pan and undertail are easier to read). Sorry if it didn't come across that way.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 04-07-2014 at 11:34 AM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #57
eeeeek
Freelance Superhero

Motorcycles: Various
Name: Vik
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoraMike View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
In the end, I figure that it just doesn't make sense to get offended for others.
eeeeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #58
frozenuts
I make words too.

Barf Racing Photo Guru
Contributor + Barf Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I was agreeing with you, Max (that belly pan and undertail are easier to read). Sorry if it didn't come across that way.
I read your response twice, took it both ways.

Really I just like posting pictures.