Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #31
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Motorcycles: give me wood
Name: Shaniqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Then Lester Green ought to be able to specify the three racists in the thread linked in his sig -

Three open and in your face racists can be found here.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=374027

And the Mods should do something about it or let it go as a freedom of speech issue and let Lester modify his sig.

Or am I expecting too much here?

Otherwise, good thoughts by Dennis & the other adults in the room (excluding me, of course... ).
Yup. I was muzzled on that topic.
Lester Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #32
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Your sig ain't muzzled.

We cannot make everyone happy... and while I try most often the repeated failure is not worth it.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #33
kelsodeez
2wheels good 4wheels bad

MotoGP CRC Contributor

Motorcycles: SV650
Name: Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike23w View Post
not linking dickbutt images = suspension.
being racists = okay.

priorities are messed up.
^this
kelsodeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #34
Lester Green
DROOPY FOR MOD

Contributor

Motorcycles: give me wood
Name: Shaniqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Your sig ain't muzzled.

We cannot make everyone happy... and while I try most often the repeated failure is not worth it.
Yeah, it was. I was told (by a very nice mod) that I had to remove their names and link the thread. I was also told by the very nice mod that it wasn't their decision but the decision of the powers that be.

No offense Bud, but that is fact.

As an aside, I am enjoying seeing that you are taking more of a role in Barf as opposed to prior years when you did not have as much time..

I can see you are really trying hard to make this a better place and I like that you are posting more and enjoy reading your take on things.

I feel you have always dealt with me very fairly the few times we have interacted.
Lester Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #35
fawndog
Veteran

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: stewpid, what else?
Name:
Yes it's seemingly messed up.
Is being a racist on Barf fostered, no. Is it ignored, no. It is mostly self policed I'd hope, using discretion and personal history, we don't require a burning cross emoji next to a screen name.

Is Dickbutt really that bad, no. Is it our Barf, um... not ultimately. While we all post both meaningless and valuable content here, it is still governed by a set of laws (TOS) that you agree to.

I can engage friends on different sites, I don't need Barf, but I do prefer it. My $$$ goes to places and organizations that I feel deserve support. Likewise my online interactions will be with similarly judged websites.

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are. - Miller from Repo Man

fawndog will take you to the ER and make you a sammich too

Last edited by fawndog; 03-07-2015 at 12:10 PM..
fawndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #36
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Quote:
not linking dickbutt images = suspension.
being racists = okay.

priorities are messed up.
You are living in the past.
Don't link. We will remove and likely close the thread for a few days. No suspension.

How do you feel about being a religious hater?? Should we remove them too?
I guarantee I am not a racist. I guarantee I respect freedom of speech. I ask for some form of respect among one another. That is all. Several complained about dick butt being bad for work. We respected that and asked for it it to be linked.

Most thought that was silly. To some degree so do I, but out of respect we asked you all to do it. Does that respect back taste that bad?? Really??

If it does I will gladly refund 100% of your membership dues.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #37
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I don't like how the rules are. My butt is hurt. Change the rules to my way. Then I will be happy, and so will you. It's for your own good, I know what is best.

Sheesh. BARF is probably the best and most liberal forum I know of, while keeping a modicum of politeness and respect. It works really well. Sometimes I don't like how it works. Too bad for me.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #38
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:

ask your mods how they honestly feel about it.
Thank you for that question. As a rule, Bud only deals with us dishonestly. That's how we all keep doing the job. Honesty would drive us all away in a second.

Speaking only for myself because - honestly - there is a huge diversity of points of view and opinions across the mods, here's what I think about dickbutt images:

BARF is an amazing resource and platform for communication not only within and among the OG BARFers right here in the Bay Area who frequently know one another, get one anothers' jokes referencing things that happened on BARF years ago (my dad's an engineer...), but is also viewed by people who are new to riding, from other geographies, don't know anyone on the board in meatspace, and don't get the jokes. One other place where BARF has (some) influence far beyond our little world is in the world of people who create or influence policies that impact us as motorcyclists. Believe it or not, these people not only BARF at work, they BARF because of work.

As a courtesy to these folks, and anyone else who might BARF on a work computer, work network, and so on we have asked that images that are not safe for work be linked and labeled as NSFW. Think about that for a second. We, the autocratic overlords of BARF, have made the completely overbearing and control-freak request that members of BARF show a modicum of courtesy to other members/readers of BARF by giving them the chance to make an informed choice regarding what they look at rather than just having it appear on their screen.

Here's the thing about NSFW, you don't get to decide what is NSFW at the workplaces of others. I don't get to decide what is NSFW at the workplaces of others. Not even Bud gets to decide that. Different workplaces have different standards, and in some cases their standards may be different than your sensibilities.

Dickbutt is one of those image types we have asked to be linked an labeled. Not banned/forbidden/verboten/interdit, just linked and labeled, you know, to be courteous.

That doesn't seem like it should that difficult of a concept to comprehend and integrate, and yet the evidence is that for some members who have managed to either remain blissfully unaware of that request, or whose personal development has arrested at the level of a 15 year old with oppositional defiant disorder, it remains a challenge. For those members in the latter case, BARF exists only for their individual pleasure, and any utility that others get from BARF is completely and totally secondary. They want to do what they want to do.

Deciding to close threads for some short period of time was a compromise arrived at when it became clear that some of the folks who were most wed to posting unlinked dickbutt images had already worked their way pretty far through the suspension tiers. Yeah, I was shocked too. Even for the jackboot wearing mod overlords of BARF, the thought of suspending someone for 3 or 6 months for an unlinked dickbutt image seemed a little harsh. In order to get the attention of folks, the decision was made to close the impacted thread for a short period of time instead. More harsh? You'd think so given some of the screaming, tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments that has resulted.

It appears that a call for some courtesy is simply too much. Honestly.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #39
fawndog
Veteran

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: stewpid, what else?
Name:
You think is ridiculous that we can't post dickbutt images, because "some person at work is Barfing" ? Is that it ?

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are. - Miller from Repo Man

fawndog will take you to the ER and make you a sammich too
fawndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #40
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
With the advent and affordability of smart phones, wireless networks and plans, it's peculiar that people still use company computers and networks for private stuff, whether shopping, booking vacation, music, mapping, job search, family photos, etc. My work computer is 100% sanitized. It's never seen a private Google search. I just assume the entire barf domain is NSFW.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #41
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
You are living in the past.
Don't link. We will remove and likely close the thread for a few days. No suspension.

How do you feel about being a religious hater?? Should we remove them too?
I guarantee I am not a racist. I guarantee I respect freedom of speech. I ask for some form of respect among one another. That is all. Several complained about dick butt being bad for work. We respected that and asked for it it to be linked.

Most thought that was silly. To some degree so do I, but out of respect we asked you all to do it. Does that respect back taste that bad?? Really??

If it does I will gladly refund 100% of your membership dues.
Wait, are we not even allowed to link (labeled as NSFW) dickbutt anymore?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #42
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Wait, are we not even allowed to link (labeled as NSFW) dickbutt anymore?
To clarify; IF you don't link, we will remove and likely close the thread for a few days. Better?

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #43
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Yeah, that's clear. I was reading his post wrong.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #44
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
To clarify; IF you don't link, we will remove and likely close the thread for a few days. Better?
Sounds like 4.9 will be enforced as outlined in 4.9.1 and 4.9.2? For clarification, the enforcement you mention is not just for dickbutt images, but also applies to "..images containing, nudity, partial nudity, sexual acts, or depiction thereof.." and "Graphic images depicting violence" as described in 4.7 and 4.8?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #45
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
Sounds like 4.9 will be enforced as outlined in 4.9.1 and 4.9.2? For clarification, the enforcement you mention is not just for dickbutt images, but also applies to "..images containing, nudity, partial nudity, sexual acts, or depiction thereof.." and "Graphic images depicting violence" as described in 4.7 and 4.8?
Nope. As was stated, and clarified, DB images are being handled differently.

For additional clarification, the sections you reference explain the actions taken with images. If you read farther through the TOS, you will find the actions taken with members.

When it comes to this thread / discussion, it is my opinion that I don't think that you will find what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote