BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 12-17-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
ousd2ndbncdr

Motorcycles: 01' ZX6R
Name:
Sprocket help? Im new to this

Hey guys, I am not new to riding, but i am completely new to sprocket changing. Can someone give me some simple 411 on why people change sprockets? I am about to buy a 2002 zx6r and the guy has a 520 conversion (+2 in the rear) and also has an RK gold chain. What exactly does that mean? If someone can give me some info that would be great! Safe riding!

-robert
ousd2ndbncdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Daredevil
Modest Max

Motorcycles: 08 r4.5 race, 01 ninja 250 street
Name:
first

you can use the SEARCH function in the upper right hand corner.

2nd)

it basically changes the gearing, for more accerlation, less top speed. you won't notice a HUGE difference in the top end. but low end grunt becomes better. this only applies to when adding teeth in the rear, or subtracting teeth in the front sprocket.

(usually 520 conversions are -1 tooth on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear sprocket.)
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 AM   #3
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Most riders never, ever notice a change to the top speed, and on those bikes that are drag limited, the top speed can actually improve.

You change gearing to make a bike easier to live with in day to day riding.

All four of the Ducatis that I've owned so far needed gearing changes. They all seem to come geared too high from the factory. The Monsters and my ST2 received about a 5% change. That made it easier to pull away from a stop, more than you would expect with just a 5% change. On the ST2, it was also at a better engine speed on the highway in the 60-70 mph range.

On my 888, it seemed to be geared for racing and to keep the speed above 100 mph as much as possible. When driving around town I ended up bogging the engine when pulling away from a stop unless I made a quick getaway. So I lowered the gearing 11% on that one (from 37 up to 41 in the rear) and it's much easier to live with now. It's still drag limited on top speed as far as I can tell.
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
ousd2ndbncdr

Motorcycles: 01' ZX6R
Name:
oh i see, thanx for the replies. So a 520 chain conversion actually improves the ninjas accelleration, how about changes to the engine? would it damage it?
ousd2ndbncdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
Ganjman
Rookie

Motorcycles: 05 R6, 06 CRF 450X
Name:
The only thing it would do to your engine is make it so while you are riding your revs would be higher than if you did not change the gearing. That will not hurt your engine unless you are tacking it out consitently, in which case you probably should not have done the gearing changes. For normal everyday riding I do not see any more wear and tear to the engine. Just make sure to keep up with the oil changes.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
also...

I've never done a chain size change so this is a guess...

is a 520 chain smaller than stock, resulting in less rotational mass, again giving better acceleration?

It would also wear out faster.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
gixxerboy55
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2009 gsxr 1000
Name:
Its very simple really its all about 1/8 inch. the5 is the pitch 5/8 inch the 20 is 2/8 inch or 1/4 wide. the 525 is two and a half eights or 5/16 wide the 530 is 3/8 of an inch wide they all have the same pitch 5/8 of an inch so the 520 is thiner so the sprockets wear faster a good 520 chain is as strong or stronger than the 525 but the sprockets do wear out faster
Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
chain is lighter, gearing gives better accel by putting the power into usable ranges ( nobody ever tops out a bike in sixth gear)

the biggest downside is the need to shift more often, and also the speedo is no longer accurate on bikes with a motor mounted sensor.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
MrCrash
King of FAIL

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR600F4, Mojo SL, Anthem X 29er, XTC 29er Composite, XTC 29er Singlespeed
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally posted by Butch
is a 520 chain smaller than stock, resulting in less rotational mass, again giving better acceleration?
I notice it a little on acceleration, a lot on deceleration. There seemed to be considerably less drama from the drivetrain when braking and downshifting after converting from a 525 to a 520 on my old GSX-R750.
Ex AFM / WSMC / AHRMA / AMA Pro Thunder #907
http://www.mrcrash.com
MrCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
gixxerboy55
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2009 gsxr 1000
Name:
Some bikes like the r1 do like over 100 in first gear and are geared very high so a gearing change on the newer r1s is almost mandatory. But this advice is only for very good riders not new riders got to cover my ass.