Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, 1987 Honda Super Magna VF700C
Name: Dion
Red face I bought gear from a company I never thought I'd buy from...

ICON.

When Icon first came out, I was, like, . To me, it seriously looked like shitty squid gear prepped for trips to S'bucks and the mall. I remember they had those gloves that looked like a mech warrior would put on to pick his ass (do mech warriors have asses?). The textile jackets were God awful colors and were pretty nasty design-wise. I did not give them the benefit of the doubt when Icon first came out.

Anyway, CeruleanSkye got a 2006-2007 Icon catalog in the mail and I was checking it out. The stuff has gotten better over the years, and it actually looks like it can protect you. The jackets, although still retaining that cosmetic appeal to their market, look comparable to any of the other name brands out their (minus teh bLinG!!1!). Yeah, Icon still is marketing to a very specifc group... but at least this group is going to be better off. Some gear is better than no gear.

Looking through the catalog, I stumbled upon the Field Armor boots. I normally wear MX boots for dual sport and SuperMoto, but I really don't have a casual boot. I was shopping for a decent touring boot, but I really didn't like the styling nor the ankle protection one would need for riding the type of upright motorcycles I ride.

What turned me on to the Field Armor boot was the MX boot styling. I also liked how stiff they looked and appeared to offer no side-to-side movement as I'm used to in MX boots. They looked like they could be worn with jeans (I have overpants that go over my jeans) and you can cruise out to dinner without big ass boots on. I was pretty impressed by the looks of them.

Needless to say, I got my pair in today from MotoStrano and I rode about 100 miles in them. I'm totally happy with their comfort, styling and protection. They are stiff as hell and are perfect for the type of riding I do (hooliganism).

The one thing that I would say about these is that they would probably suck for sprotbiles because of their thickness and stiffness. I'm sure the right rider could manage though.

Anyway, I'm impressed with a brand that I thought was going to squid hell. I understand the marketing approach Icon is taking (they do still have some pretty fugly products), but in the process, they are actually making some decent stuff.
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
propaganda
Me In 10 Years

Motorcycles: 2005 Yamaha YZF600R Two Brothers shorty exhaust,Two 4" speakers, Four 7" LCD TV screens,
Name:
i have a icon helmet!,which i like
We all have 2 personalities
One online
One in real life
which one are you
It's not how much your willing to put in, It's how much your willing to give up
It's not what you know, It's what you can prove
propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Jimbo007
Tugboat Trash

Contributor

Motorcycles: Ducati 749, '83 Kawi GPZ550 Rat, Ninja 500R
Name: Ebineezer
I've had the TiMax short gloves for three years and they're still in great shape. Had a pretty fast get-off with them and they're fine. I also bought an Icon helmet a few years ago, and I've bought three shoei's since but still use it for rainy days because it NEVER fogs up.

I've heard all the talk about it being a cheap brand, but I think it's piece to piece. I have the dainese speed metal gloves (and they crash well, too) but Icon's are easier to put on and take off, and despite being a little loose after all these years, they still feel really good on the controls.

I also wear the Icon back protector on the street because it fits and stays in place better than any other than I've tried on.

I have a full set of A* leathers with an extra jacket and a Dainese jacket, too, but I still wear the Icon stuff a lot of the time. It's good stuff. Jimbo tested. But like anything else, check every seam on every piece before you buy.

Tugboat Trash
Jimbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
wrecks
Deez

Motorcycles: are getting expensive...
Name:
Ive gotta helmet from them which I like too.
CRF 250x
cag 50cc (pit bike)

XT 225 (sold)
GSXR 600 (wrecked by cager)
Ninja 250 (sold)
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
DJNick
Oldschool

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 SD 1290R, 2017 Tuono Factory
Name: Who?
I was just thinking of getting those very same boots, thanks for the review.

XBL/PSN: AgonyOfDeFeet
DJNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Killermarmot
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 GS500
Name:
I got a similar boot that isn't quite as strappy and flashy although that one looks cool too

. I've only had em about 8 months but they're holding up exceptionaly well, and after a short break in tehy're really comfy.

If you'd played by the rules, the ghost pirate rules, none of this would be happening. But oh no, you had to go nuts and kill a guy. - The Ghost Captain

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or triffling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Killermarmot; 12-15-2006 at 01:01 AM..
Killermarmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
rsrider
47% parasite 53% ahole

Motorcycles: 2014 Monster 796 --2001 Triumph Sprint RS -- 2013 Vespa GTS Super-- 2019 Ninja 400
Name: Toast
ICON!!!! Bwahahahahahaha
Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Squid
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
NeverSayDie
Veteran

Motorcycles: Pedal bike.
Name:
After crash testing their Superduty boots, it's clear they're not any better than my forty dollar Lugz boots. Actually the Lugz were designed by the rapper Birdman, so the bling factor is about the same
NeverSayDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeverSayDie
After crash testing their Superduty boots, it's clear they're not any better than my forty dollar Lugz boots. Actually the Lugz were designed by the rapper Birdman, so the bling factor is about the same
Ah man... those super duty boots are seriously teh suck. They offer zero ankle protection.

I got the Field Armor Boots. Much better.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
CeruleanSkye
Rock Steady Vibe

Motorcycles: 06 CBR 600RR; 06 Ninja 500 (sold); 07 KLX 300R
Name: Kitteh!
I have an Icon helmet. I am quite happy with it, especially given the price.
CeruleanSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: are why we're here, right?
Name: Hey You
D, how bout a report after the boots have broken in a bit to tell us if they loosened up?

you really hit on an area that I think is underserved by the gear companies, an intermediate boot that one can walk around in....doesn't seem like any good solutions out there.......

"Apexes - how the f**k do they work?!?!"
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
I have an Icon Alliance helmet, and while the fit and finish ain't the greatest, it is tremendously comfy on my noggin.

Plus I crash-tested the last one and it did its job well (nothing like lying on the street thinking, "wow, my arm won't move, but boy am I glad for this here helmet"), so I bought an identical one.
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Mondo
'Ridin Dirty'

Motorcycles: Street, Dirt, SM
Name:
LOL how did I know it was going to be Icon before I even opened the thread. Those boots do look cool though. I considered buying them as my street supermoto boots when I saw them at Eastbay.

"Sticking only to street is like going to the UFC in a Karate Gi and yelling "HiYa!", then getting choked the *ef* out." XRsick50

"A motard with slicks in the dirt? I guess if I have to ask, I just won't understand." redline
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by slydrite
D, how bout a report after the boots have broken in a bit to tell us if they loosened up?

you really hit on an area that I think is underserved by the gear companies, an intermediate boot that one can walk around in....doesn't seem like any good solutions out there.......
Well, that's what turned me onto these boots. Especially for the type of riding guys like us do, Neal. Most of the stuff out there in this category are blue-haired styled touring boots.

Remember we had this discussion about Enduro Jackets? Unless you take the plunge and go BMW gear, the only option we have is textile street gear.