Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Yup.

I don't see how anyone can "properly" "prepare" for SHTF in an urban environment. And by urban, I don't just mean big cities, but even lower density suburbs. You pretty much need a redoubt in Idaho or something.

And I don't.

I pretty much limit my stuff to the shelter in place "big quake" scenario. Beyond that, just have to wing it.

And if you live in Western Oregon/Washington, if you aren't prepped for in place of 60+ days, you will be in big trouble in that quake scenario. Big. Trouble.

The Mess Potential of a big quake up there is off the charts compared to us down here in CA.
Sooooooooooooo many compromises.

I grew up with a grandfather with a dairy farm who had several water tanks on his property. His emergency water supply was huge. I have a 3 car garage and yet only seem to manage to store about 200gal of emergency water, which is nothing in comparison and will deplete in about a week, maybe two with rationing or four with strict rationing.

Same for foods, I have maybe a month's worth of emergency food rations in addition to what's in the cupboards. Same grandfather had a root cellar with literally years worth of stored food for the entire family, and not just freeze dried meals.

Back during Y2K a lot of folks laughed at the families who bought/built compounds out in BFE TX/NM/AZ/UT/etc. I was more envious than laughing, and still am, if for no reason other than to have somewhere to go hunting anytime I want.
2008 Harley Davidson FLHP Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Independent
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
Sooooooooooooo many compromises.

I grew up with a grandfather with a dairy farm who had several water tanks on his property. His emergency water supply was huge. I have a 3 car garage and yet only seem to manage to store about 200gal of emergency water, which is nothing in comparison and will deplete in about a week, maybe two with rationing or four with strict rationing.

Same for foods, I have maybe a month's worth of emergency food rations in addition to what's in the cupboards. Same grandfather had a root cellar with literally years worth of stored food for the entire family, and not just freeze dried meals.

Back during Y2K a lot of folks laughed at the families who bought/built compounds out in BFE TX/NM/AZ/UT/etc. I was more envious than laughing, and still am, if for no reason other than to have somewhere to go hunting anytime I want.
Yea, we're getting a house that has one of those tankless water heaters, so I wanted to look in to some sort of water storage solution for it. In my current house, I upgraded the 40g to a 50g water heater notably as a water storage alternate.

Obviously it's much easier to do the kinds of things your grandfather did in a rural setting. Locally, it's not the supply issue so much per se, but, simply, the security issue. All of the ammo in the world can't do much against a determined group willing to burn you out. It can test their determination, at best. But no doubt they'll be bringing along folks and equipment that can test yours.

Seems mostly untenable to me.
#69 #45
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #18
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
So here are my thoughts based on my situation.

I am in a rural-ish area. I have a 2-acre pond in my yard for backup water. I have filtration methods in place for it. It is also fully stocked with bass, catfish and bluegill. I am about half a mile from a full-fledged bayou which is water and food. I have tons of family close by as well just in case like 3 cousins within a half mile direct of my house.

I have a two story house on a 7-foot high hill with sightlines at a minimum of 300 yards in all directions. I have multiple guns/calibers from reach out and touch you to close quarter combat. I can be loud or quiet as the scenario demands and also have a bit of ammo stocked up for just in case but mostly from when ammo was scarce don't want to go through that again.

I don't actively plan for SHTF but for me that would most likely be a hurricane and I think I am ready for it. I have a couple of generators but gas would be the limiting factor for that until I can get my tractor PTO generator back up and running and then I can store a ton of off-road diesel for cheap.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
For 90% of SHTF situations I can think of (storm, earthquake, etc) there will probably be some law enforcement and an expectation of things returning to normal. I would carry a Glock 23, Sig 9mm or Shield. Main reason is they are all on my CCW and I could legally carry them in a disaster situation.

I know, not as fun to think about as zombies and a SCAR.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
I know, not as fun to think about as zombies and a SCAR.
If it was ever zombies I am hoping for walking dead style and not the crazy fast World War Z ones those will mess you up or even the whatever they were from I am Legend that got smarter as time went on fuck that kind of apocalypse. I want the slow-moving sitting ducks all day every day and twice on Sunday and I can practice my COD headshots.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #21
Dubermun
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki ninja
Name: Tony
Sig P229 .40
LMT defender 556
O/U 12g shotgun
55lb recurve with CF arrows
A book
Dubermun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #22
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubermun View Post
Sig P229 .40
LMT defender 556
O/U 12g shotgun
55lb recurve with CF arrows
A book

Thinking long term with reusable ammo. Smart.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
Busy Little Shop
Man behaving bikely...

Motorcycles: Honda RC45 RC30
Name: Larry L
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesKTM View Post
Whats in your bugout arsenal?
30mm cannon when you care to send the very best and Homeland security California style...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30mmCannonRC45. (2).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	521711   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR15Gun (6).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	521712  
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
1952 De Havilland Chipmunk...
https://www.youtube.com/user/BusyLittleShop/feed
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Bu...?sort=3&page=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55532474@N00/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10503451@N07/
Busy Little Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #24
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Booger hook, bang switch.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #25
jimboecv
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: europhile
Name:
Wrist Rocket and 50, .32 lead balls. And some other stuff.
I have a family, four of us. And a dog makes 5. I have a stuffed pantry, plus 4-months of freeze dried and 440 gallons of potable water and a hot tub for wash water. And a zillion bags to shit in (gotta deal with it). And tabasco for the squirrels I might end up eating.
Water is harder to store, bulky, but you can get a few containers. Just start with the first one and go from there.
https://www.nationalstoragetank.com/...in-harvesting/
Also, for food, if you can't swing the freeze dried stuff, load up at Costco. Or, members of the LDS are pretty big on prep. Great stuff. (not a member, fyi).
https://www.nationalstoragetank.com/...in-harvesting/
Great luck, ya'll
Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #26
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
I definitely need to add a recurve bow to the arsenal.

Many here have discussed SHTF plan. I enjoy listening to others because it presents many different options and views on how its going down.

My plan limits my arsenal in some ways. I will not bug-in as some of you have indicated. I have two secured remote locations to go if im not there already. If Im in California when SHTF and its a sudden catastrophic scenario I will go by dual sport motorcycle to my first location where I have enough to get to the second location. I dont want to be on the highway system.

My arsenal to get to locations includes a pistol (G19) and my (concealable) M37 shotgun. I do not want to bring any attention to myself in any way. Seeing someone with a military AR style firearm makes me turn the other direction. I dont necessarily want to repel people because of my arsenal - community will be vital to survival. Outward displays of tactical defensiveness by others will tell me they are operating based on fear, not open to negotiation, paramilitary structure, etc. Stay away.

At locations my arsenal is geared to hunt. I need a recurve bow added to it.

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #27
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop View Post
30mm cannon when you care to send the very best and Homeland security California style...

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote