tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
On the split coil vs. single coil topic:

youtu.be/Ugy165V8llk

One of the things he briefly mentions is pickup placement. This is actually a pretty big deal in the tone of any pickup and I think accounts for the dissatisfaction people sometimes have with split coils, where the active coil isn't always in an ideal location along the string.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #1502
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
I'll have to look into this when I get home today. Probably some comparison videos on YouTube so I can see the difference. I'm looking at replacing the humbuckers on one of my guitars anyway and have been kind of stumped on options.
I've tried some imported pickups from Guitarfetish (I know, that name right? ) They may not have the pedigree of name brand "boutique" pickups (Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, EMG, et al) but for the price they're worth giving a try. If you like them, fine. If not, you're not exactly out a bunch of money. On the flip side you can always pick up used Duncans or the like off Ebay for nearly the same price.

On a side note, as I was sitting in the chiropractor's office today waiting for my adjustment, I happened to recognize Lionel Ritchie's 80's pop song "Dancing on the Ceiling" playing in the background. Didn't really pay attention to it, until I heard the guitar solo. Great tone and phrasing, had to Google it right there. Turned out to be a session player, Carlos Rios. Such great tone and phrasing!

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote