Notices

Old 01-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #16
Darkness!
Where's the kick starter?

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R, BMW F800GT, Ducati ST2
Name: Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
I'd start by disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if the problems persist once it's hooked back up.
OP: I'd start by seeing if you have a parasitic draw with the key off. Would tell you if you have a short. Lots of Youtube videos showing how to do this.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Darkness! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #17
seadog
Veteran

Contributor +++++++ 1%

Motorcycles: F650, Shiver, RSV4, ST3, Daytona 675, Wee Strom, VFR
Name: Kurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiHoney View Post
Maybe you made some stuff melty screwing around in there and created a short.
This. It sounds like you may have shorted a relay that is normally open with the ignition switch off. Since it's now shorted (like a light switch being closed) the circuits are powered even with the key off.

DH you some kind of engineer or what?
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #18
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
I spent quite a while poking at things but I suspect that locating exactly where the short is may be beyond my depth. Iím currently thinking I may just attach a battery kill switch to turn off the power when not in use. Would like to get to the bottom of it though; if anyone knows a mechanic near San Francisco who is good with electrical triage, then Iíd take recommendations.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #19
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravisman View Post
I spent quite a while poking at things but I suspect that locating exactly where the short is may be beyond my depth. Iím currently thinking I may just attach a battery kill switch to turn off the power when not in use. Would like to get to the bottom of it though; if anyone knows a mechanic near San Francisco who is good with electrical triage, then Iíd take recommendations.
Do not do that. If something is running all the time when it's not supposed to, then it could fail and leave you stranded. Or worse, overheat and cause a fire. Find the problem and fix it.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:

Did you do a lengthy battery disconnect to see if the problem persists?
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #21
kpke
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: many 2 strokes 06 R1 LE 158
Name: Ken
Quote:
if anyone knows a mechanic near San Francisco who is good with electrical triage, then Iíd take recommendations.
Maybe here? Worth a call I think.

https://bayarearidersforum.com/forum...d.php?t=547857

Ken's Garage
Motorcycle rides, shows, custom builds, and other stuff
kpke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #22
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Heck, if something is making a whirring sound, you should be able to figure out what it is easily enough. Once you know what it is, you can the see what it's connected to and go from there.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #23
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
A friend of mine, tech guru at the Dallas Morning News, had a cat encounter once on his motorcycle, and wrote about it.

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/29/theBet.html

Quote:
Ride Report: "I Get a New Traveling Companion"
Alternate Title: "Who Let the Cat Out of the Bag?"
Title if the wife (acquired later) named it: "Honey . . . You're an Idiot"
Title if best friend named it: "Well, OK. Two Cokes."
Oh, shit, sorry. Whirring noise, not purring noise. Never mind.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #24
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Quote:
Did you do a lengthy battery disconnect to see if the problem persists?
Yeah Iíve been disconnecting the battery overnight. No help.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #25
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
Heck, if something is making a whirring sound, you should be able to figure out what it is easily enough. Once you know what it is, you can the see what it's connected to and go from there.
I know for sure what the thing making the noise is - the idle air control motor. Iím not finding the ďsee whatís connected to it and go from thereĒ part to be easy. The system seems quite complicated to me.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #26
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
I know for sure what the thing making the noise is - the idle air control motor. Iím not finding the ďsee whatís connected to it and go from thereĒ part to be easy. The system seems quite complicated to me.
An electrical schematic should tell you easily. If you don't have one, get one. It's critical to analyzing electrical problems. Likely there's a relay or switch that controls it and that could be the problem.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:28 AM   #27
Demoni
Veteran

Motorcycles: 99' Ducati 900ss, 04' Aprilia RS50, 97' BMW F650, 00' BMW R1150GS, 05 CRF250R
Name: Chris
Quote:
An electrical schematic should tell you easily. If you don't have one, get one. It's critical to analyzing electrical problems. Likely there's a relay or switch that controls it and that could be the problem.
^ 100% this.

Dealing with electrical issues is all about coming up with ways to isolate variables to identify the cause of the problem. You are already approaching this is a logical way you just need more information about the system your dealing with.

Knowing the path the electricity flows (wire color, connector / pin locations) from the component is invaluable information. Service manuals are invaluable references, I have one for every bike I have owned.

-----
Based on the fact that this started with a blown fuse makes me suspect that a relay or some other switching component has failed. Alternately before the fuse blew enough heat was generated to melt the insulation of some wire/s.

I found this, it's not for your bike but I suspect that the tests for resistance and voltage will transfer over...?
Ninja service manual

I found a number of posts on Kawi jetski forums that say that if the IAC is unplugged or defective your idle speed will be sporadic and throttle response is affected.

This is the sort of work that eats up mechanic hours as it's a lot of trial and error.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #28
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Hopefully it doesn't come straight off the ECU.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #29
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Hopefully it doesn't come straight off the ECU.
Likely not. I'm sure that there's a relay in between. My guess is either it's a stuck relay, or the ECU isn't shutting off the signal to the relay.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #30
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Quote:
Likely not. I'm sure that there's a relay in between. My guess is either it's a stuck relay, or the ECU isn't shutting off the signal to the relay.
When I look at the attached schematic I don't see anything but capacitors between the ECU (37) and the idle speed control unit (35). Moreover, 12v is also escaping the ECU in its CAN accessory cable (not in this schematic because I have an aftermarket ECU which adds that) and that did not happen before this problem started.

I've tested the diodes on the relay unit according to the manual, and strangely, the tests all have results opposite of what the manual says they should. Maybe that's the problem, but I'm skeptical. Every single test is opposite (that is, I get continuity with the probes reversed from what the manual says), and I feel like if all the relays were broken, the bike wouldn't run, and it *does* run, so it seems more likely to me that I'm misunderstanding the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schematic.pdf (150.9 KB, 19 views)