Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
narlycarly
Veteran

Motorcycles: ZRX1100 RD400D
Name: Carl
Moto Cams, input appreciated.

Background: After 16 years of daily commuting in the city, some asshole finally got me. White 2019 Toyota Highlander turned right on red, floored across 3 lanes and side swiped me, they hit the brakes enough to watch me crash then floored it. A fellow motorist behind me zoomed up to get a photo of the license plate, but by the time he got back to me he realized the photo was too blurry to read the digits. SFPD has been predictably useless and my insurance company was unable to get a response from them, the witness or the Target that probably has the entire thing on security video.

Injuries, broken knee, shoulder, road rash.
Gear, fucked up leathers, gloves, boots, helmet,
Moto, ridable, not pretty, can't find good parts to replace, didn't have collision insurance due to age.
Mental state, angry and pissed off, terrified of the next asshole.
Cost, between medical, PT, time off work, etc more than the new moto I wanted to buy.

Close friends are concerned for my safety and want me to get a camera mow that I am back to moto commuting. I do not want to bolt a GoPro to my helmet. Does anybody have a installed camera (front/rear) system that they like. What is it and why do you like it?
narlycarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
AnywhereAtAll

Motorcycles: 2021 CB500x
Name: Andrew
Hey Carl,

Sorry to hear you got hit and run (wtf is wrong with people?). Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I recently got an Innovv K3 -- it's a front/rear dashcam-style system.

It runs front and rear cams to an under-seat DVR unit, which records to a normal micro SD card. It also has a microphone and a GPS unit to track location, direction, speed, etc. There's an app, but when I've pulled the footage, I've found it easiest to just pop the SD card out and upload it that way.

I think it was around $350 -- small price to pay if you ever need it.

Pros and cons, as I've noticed in the past month:

Pros
  • It's hardly noticeable when you look at the bike. My cameras live on my crash bar in front and liceense plate holder in the rear -- see pics.
  • It taps into a switched wire, so it goes on/off with the ignition -- nothing to charge or remember to turn on. It also has a shock-based parking mode that I've yet to test.
  • It records on a loop, so no need to pull/delete footage unless something happens during your ride.
  • There's a remote control, which looks ugly, but it tells you the cams are recording, whether you've got GPS signal, AND it lets you mark/protect files at the push of a button. If something happens, I tap the button, and that file goes into a different folder -- this saves tons of time. There's also a photo mode if you double tap the button.
  • Wide angle captures a really good FOV.
  • Records in 1080p -- plenty clear for evidentiary purposes.

Cons
  • It comes with a variety of mounting options, but it was hard to find a great spot for it on my bike. I ended up putting it on a crashbar, so my forks block some of the FOV up front. Still working on another solution.
  • Video quality is fine for evidence, but it's noticeably worse than something like a gopro. The color balance is especially weird -- easy to fix, but weird.
  • Low-light recording isn't great. Again, it's enough, but not great.
  • I wish it was slightly better dampened from vibrations.
  • The recordings are a weird file type that doesn't play nicely with Quicktime.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, and I hope I never need it. If the quality was a bit better, I'd never bring the gopro out, but that's not why I got it, so no major complaints.

I'll grab the SD card later and see if I can upload a video to show the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Innovv Front.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	546405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Innovv rear.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	546406  

Last edited by AnywhereAtAll; 09-21-2021 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Adding photos
AnywhereAtAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
AnywhereAtAll

Here's a quick sample I pulled, complete with a dummy stopping in the middle of the street.

I threw the rear video in the upper left, just to show it, but the Innovv spits them out at separate videos, so it's full res and everything.

Let me know if you have questions.

The embed doesn't seem to work for me, but here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HiEMvYhkvM

youtu.be/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HiEMvYhkvM

Last edited by AnywhereAtAll; 09-22-2021 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: BB F750-GS
Name:
Just need the ID in the youtube tag, not the whole url.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereAtAll View Post
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
narlycarly
Veteran

Motorcycles: ZRX1100 RD400D
Name: Carl
Thanks for the feed back and the video!
narlycarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
I run GoPro Hero Session cams front and rear. They're good for about 2.5h of video before the battery dies. It just becomes part of gearing up for the ride to pop the cams on the bike and hit record.

Output video:

youtu.be/9ohsIOhxTco
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereAtAll View Post
Hey Carl,

Sorry to hear you got hit and run (wtf is wrong with people?). Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I recently got an Innovv K3 -- it's a front/rear dashcam-style system.
I've got the slightly older K2, the vibration is more a function of where it's mounted on the bike, trial and error worked for me, but anywhere that was rigid with the frame/engine got some serious buzz. Extending body panel fasteners worked for me and still let me keep the them tucked away nicely while getting a pretty stable image.
Video quality is so-so, but have you tried the user forums on their site, there is a community based firmware update that pushes the bitrate up a notch and gets a much nicer recording, still not GoPro, but better than out of box.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
AnywhereAtAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
I've got the slightly older K2, the vibration is more a function of where it's mounted on the bike, trial and error worked for me, but anywhere that was rigid with the frame/engine got some serious buzz. Extending body panel fasteners worked for me and still let me keep the them tucked away nicely while getting a pretty stable image.
Video quality is so-so, but have you tried the user forums on their site, there is a community based firmware update that pushes the bitrate up a notch and gets a much nicer recording, still not GoPro, but better than out of box.
Thanks for this! I've been meaning to try another mounting point to get away from some of the buzz -- and to get an unobstructed field of view.

Hadn't realized there was an Innovv user forum, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip!