Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #106
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Zomg I just rode La Sal Pass it was a lot tougher than I thought. I feel like I don't need to ride the Rubicon anymore. I can now say I know what its like to ride over something that sounds like you're riding over bricks.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-22-2016 at 10:30 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #107
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Day 3 Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corner

https://youtu.be/uML8Y-CJ6BI

youtu.be/uML8Y-CJ6BI

As you can see, it was entirely road, with a couple short spots that would be more difficult on a street bike or large adventure bike. It's all about the views from Hurrah Pass, along the river, and from Chicken Corner. The riding is not challenging or interesting.

Last edited by 2strokeYardSale; 10-16-2016 at 02:58 PM..
2strokeYardSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #108
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Neat-o!! Was this on Klondike Bluffs?

WoodsChick
West side of 191. South canyon road(had to look at the map). There is a wooden walkway all around the small area, with a sigh at various prints in the mud. Nice work, they did.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #109
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
West side of 191. South canyon road(had to look at the map). There is a wooden walkway all around the small area, with a sigh at various prints in the mud. Nice work, they did.
Ok, not Klondike Bluffs, which is just north of Arches east of 191.
I need to go see this stuff!
I can't think of anything cooler than dinosaur tracks in stone
Thanks for the photo! Feel free to post any more that you might have

WC

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #110
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: GasGas EC300
Name: Aaron
Lunch Box’s Moab Report – Part 1
My wife had a half marathon to run just southwest of Yosemite on the first Saturday of the trip. Being a good hubby, I was there to support her and stayed through Saturday night at the lovely little B&B that she had booked. My original plan was to drive my car and tow my KDX to Moab, but Eric B offered a spot in his truck for my bike and gear, and I couldn’t pass it up. This freed me up to ride my FJ-09 instead of driving and towing a trailer.

We had a good time on Friday afternoon, and after the race on Saturday.

Too excited to sleep through the night, I woke up just a bit after 2am on Sunday morning and hit the road by 2:30. Riding through Yosemite from the southern end to the northern in total darkness was a really fun experience. Almost as interesting was the descent over Tioga pass in the dark. I was hoping to get some breakfast at the Whoah Nelly Deli in Lee Vining, but they weren’t open when I rolled through. Freshly gassed-up, I pushed on. Shortly after leaving Lee Vining, the temperature began to plummet. It went from a tolerable 45-ish down to the low 20s. I should point out that I have heated grips on the bike, but no heated gear. My Aerostich did a good job, but 120+ miles of this temperature had me shaking like a leaf on a tree. By the time I rolled into Tonopah it was just about 7am. I gassed up, took the obligatory Clown Motel pic, and found a place to get a cup of coffee and a small breakfast.

The sun was now up and temperatures were beginning to get more comfortable. Time to grind out the miles to Moab to join the fellas. I only took a couple of pics along the way, as I really wanted to get to the house.

As luck would have it, I arrived at the house a bit after 5:30, just as the guys were returning from their first day of riding. Shortly afterwards, the garage looked like this:

Sasquatch cooked up some tasty food while the rest of the guys talked trash and shared the heroics of their first day’s riding. A few of the guys had the forethought to bring some proper beer along, so we weren’t stuck drinking the 4% near beer that is available in most of Utah. I shared a growler of homebrew that I had brought along (I love those double wall vacuum sealed growlers) and we had a good time.

Last edited by Lunch Box; 10-17-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Lunch Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #111
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Lunch Box’s Moab Report – Part Deux

My first day of riding in Moab did not disappoint. We trailered/trucked our bikes to a staging area north of town and did a series of trails. The Sovereign loop was an absolute blast, and was a great way to get my feet wet for the week of riding yet to come. I was too busy having fun and didn’t take many pics that day.
There was, however, a cool old building adjacent to the staging area:

In the evening, we checked out the Moab Brewery and found that it was possible to buy bottles and cans of higher octane beer. I also paid a whopping $8 to fill my ˝ gallon growler with some pretty tasty 4% stuff.
The Tripel was solid, and came in a bit over 8%.

When there is a house full of guys, there is often a poker game. This trip was no different. We played a few times, and fun was had by most.

The next day was a fun, if mellow, trip out to Chicken Corner. We stopped to lend a hand to a lady who had dug her truck into the sand while trying to release a skunk that she had trapped at her house. Fortunately, some guys in heavily modified Suzuki Samurais came by and winched her out of her predicament.

Jackson got most of the way out there and decided to turn back as the hard packed dirt road was boring him to death and (apparently) shredding his precious knobbies). This act would earn him possession of the “purple pony,” as one might expect.
The rest of us continued on and had a good time, despite the riding being a bit on the easy/boring side. The views made it all worthwhile. A few shots from the day:

Sadly, Sasquatch binned it pretty hard coming back and broke a few rips. His helmet took a beating, as well. It was a bummer to lose him from the group, particularly because he was our cook.
Sasquatch’s helmet:

Everyone was pretty tired at the end of the day. Merlin pretty much summed up my energy level at this point.

Last edited by Lunch Box; 10-17-2016 at 07:06 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #112
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Lunch Box’s Moab Report – Part C

The next day, the gang decided that they wanted to go back to Slickrock, since I had missed out on it the first time. This was such a neat place, and the terrain was unlike anything I have ever ridden before. The grip level on the sandstone was amazing, enabling the bike to climb up hills that looked too steep for my skill level. As is often the case, I took very few pictures.

After Slickrock, we went up and did Porcupine Rim. This was a REALLY fun trail with some pretty tough step-up sections along the way. The bulk of the group stopped at the first viewpoint, but Fred, Tom and I pressed on to the next one, where we took a break and snapped a few pics. What a view!

Fred, Merlin and I stopped at a cool rock “ramp” on our way back down to the cars. This place sure does have some neat terrain.

It wasn’t until we watched some of Jackson’s video that evening that I found out just how demented he is. He decided that he would create a voice for the pony (a creepy, South Park inspired high pitched southern accent) and it got a bit dark in a few places.

Last edited by Lunch Box; 10-17-2016 at 07:19 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #113
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
content incoming
Quote:
content incoming.
Quote:
more content incoming

Tease...

WaitingChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #114
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Kane Creek trail after Chicken Corner. Just me, Eric B, and OaklandF4i, making a quick run, not all the way. Just until the creek starts, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgL-kVFHOTo

youtu.be/LgL-kVFHOTo
Old 10-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #115
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Lunch Box’s Moab Report – Part IV
I spent one day with ThumperX and W, putting around Arches on my FJ-09. My body was a bit beat up and I hadn’t seen Arches before, so it seemed like a good plan. Here are a few pics from the street ride:

It goes without saying that this earned me the purple pony.

The remainder of the week was full of fun, with some spectacular riding and even more spectacular views. Here are a few pics that mostly fail to capture the beauty and the challenge of a few of the spots.

Last edited by Lunch Box; 10-17-2016 at 08:23 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #116
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Lunch Box’s Moab Report – Fin

I left the house early on Saturday morning, in an effort to make it home by Saturday night. I had planned to take a similar route back, and Tioga pass appeared to be clear. The week’s activities had taken their toll on me and I ended up making it only as far as Tonopah. I rolled out early on Sunday morning, but had to stop to take a pic or two once the Sun started to come up.

A bit later in the morning:

I flew by this at about 100 MPH and had to loop back to get a shot of it. Janie sounds like a sweetheart.

I didn’t check the weather again on Sunday morning, which cost me some time. As I approached Lee Vining, there were signs that weather might be an issue.

Pulling in for fuel, I was greeted with this

Followed by this, outside of the Whoah Nelly Deli:

Through the rain, I worked my way North along 395. Monitor Pass was also closed, as were the other fun ones.

I hit some horrendous rain as I continued north to Hwy 50, and it continued all the way through Tahoe and well past Sacramento. I didn’t take any pics, as I was most interested in getting home without freezing to death and/or getting smushed by the idiotic drivers who hadn’t seen rain in a very long time.

I finally made it home a bit after 5pm on Sunday, with about 2150 miles added to my odometer since my departure the week before. Today I am stiff, sore, tired, and smiling ear to ear. I can’t wait to go back to Moab!

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my InReach along on my first day of riding in Moab. Here is the rest of the trip, though.

Last edited by Lunch Box; 10-17-2016 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #117
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Orange one and Red ones
Name: Michael G
Great stuff Aaron!

The pictures of Merlin with hair are trippy...
Old 10-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #118
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Name:
Quote:
Here are a few pics that mostly fail to capture the beauty and the challenge of a few of the spots.

No capture fail, here!
Did you guys go up or down?

Excellent stuff, Aaron! Thanks for posting up your photos! They're great!
Eric has been looking at BARF in the mornings before work (Hi, Eric ) and this thread is the one he goes to first. It's inspiring us to take the real dirt bikes to Utah next spring

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 10-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #119
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2014, 2017 and 2021
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Is it me, or is CJ asleep in most pics that include him?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #120
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
No capture fail, here!
Did you guys go up or down?

Excellent stuff, Aaron! Thanks for posting up your photos! They're great!
Eric has been looking at BARF in the mornings before work (Hi, Eric ) and this thread is the one he goes to first. It's inspiring us to take the real dirt bikes to Utah next spring

WoodsChick
You're too sweet. We rode up that one. That pic was taken about 1/3 of the way up a pretty tough section. One which I failed to clear, too. That's why you ride with buddies, so you can help one another through the tough spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Is it me, or is CJ asleep in most pics that include him?
CJ has an amazing ability to sleep at the drop of a hat. Be it Baja, Moab, or Stony, if you tell him that he has 30 minutes to wait, he will take a 25 minute nap. I'm jealous of this skill, as it is really quite remarkable.