Jello_Biafra
bbrraaappp

Motorcycles: Front brake on the left
Name: Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Still think Grikll makes a valid point.
Wheelies were once legal.
Old folks grew up without using seat belts, and thankfully none are required for bikes.....yet.
THE almighty law once had certain people sit at the back of the bus.
But hey, the law is the law and no one is above it. don't like it? Become a politician.. Be smarter and Break it intelligently on weekdays:|...be richer and buy your speed at the track, the more quarters into the game the faster you get to be...or be a rebel, have super hero skills and suffer the consequences.

But I will always admire the guy who survives the years and thrives on a higher level than the average Joe. Pastrana types. Skateboarders have been fighting this kinda fight by persistent rebellion; blockbuster movies are filled with James Deans and vigilante Superhereos and we stand up and applaud. Funny how in real life we become judgmental sheep.
Nobody ever forced you to ride a motorcycle. You were not born a motorcyclist. You are given no specific right to ride a motorcycle, nor are you exempted from (most) laws for riding one. I'm not comfortable with having some Ricky Racer put himself through my windshield because he needed to get around a Prius so I think these are some pretty good laws that need to be enforced wherever possible. There's a thread in Crash Analysis right now where a guy overtook a vehicle and blew the next corner. Luckily he was okay but a similar incident in a different corner could have brought out all kinds of emergency services and caused a road closure. Once again, not a victimless crime.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where the feeling of entitlement comes from. Do motorcycle dealerships hand it out when you buy a new Squid-RR? The laws are the same for everyone, whether or not you choose to take a chance and break them is totally up to you. Nobody ever held a gun to my head and told me that I needed to keep up with anyone on a group ride or that I needed to pass a car before the next turnout. It was a choice that I made and one that I made knowing the possible consequences. Most never get caught but if that fact is giving people the idea that they're somehow 'right' for doing it then they need sit back and reassess their logic.

Rebellion is cool.. when it's appropriate. In this case you're talking about a minor inconvenience and comparing it to... the civil rights movement? Really? Like being a second class citizen was a minor inconvenience for black people.
Jello_Biafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #287
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Also skill only gets you so far; a vehicle could randomly plow into you while you're passing or lane splitting, and skill isn't always going to save you even if you do everything right. Hell a psychopathic or drunk driver could actively try and kill you, like in the other thread where fortunately the guy is at least being charged.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #288
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Also skill only gets you so far; a vehicle could randomly plow into you while you're passing or lane splitting, and skill isn't always going to save you even if you do everything right. Hell a psychopathic or drunk driver could actively try and kill you, like in the other thread where fortunately the guy is at least being charged.
Yep. Best not to ride at all.

'Scuse me, I'm gonna go sit on my couch and...sit...where it's safe.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #289
Banjoboy
Get over yerself!!!

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '07 FJR speedshifter ('07 FJR, :rip ) '07 FZ6 (dirt bike)
Name: ANorris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
Yep. Best not to ride at all.

'Scuse me, I'm gonna go sit on my couch and where it's safe, and eat Cheetoes, watch tv, become morbidly obese, have a heart attack, shit myself & die. There, now I'm dead and safe. Hope you prius drive'in nanny fucks are happy?
Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya.
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
The adventure is in the rider, not the bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
let the rider who has neither broken the speed limit, nor crossed the double yellow - throw the first stone
(and also sell their fuckin' bike! )
Banjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #290
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
The motorcyclist, Joseph Peulen, 57, of Novato, was arrested on suspicion of reckless driving and booked into Marin County Jail. His 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 was impounded.
Hmm, that's kind of my beat, and I am sorry to hear that someone (the rider, the Marin IJ and the CHP) has to call attention to riders that frequent those roads. This type of thing usually leads to a lot knee-jerk enforcement antics aimed at all riders. Something I should be used to by now, but I do get annoyed when I get lit up, "just because" some other person might have made an ass out themself, on my favorite road.

Of course the way the CHP interpreted this rider's actions may be completely biased, and even complete BS.

A few months after 9/11/2001 I was pulled over and detained by about a dozen CHP, SFPD and even some federal officers after blasting past a waiting CHP in the Mac Arthur Tunnel. You would have thought I was Ted Bundy or Charles Manson the way they acted.
Put me in a cop car and spent about an hour blabbing on the radio and with each other before the first cop wrote me up.
The ticket was later dismissed due to messy paperwork and an incomplete report.

The Marin rider may have been riding in a fairly normal way for all we know....

Of course the Marin IJ lives for when they can publish negative press about motorcyclists. For some reason they seem to hate us.

Whatever did happen, we may never know.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 05-30-2012 at 08:03 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #291
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoboy View Post
Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya.
Perfect - thanks.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #292
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry kahn View Post
I just turned 57-old guys rule!
Yea, but it takes more effort to pull on your boots, doesn't it?

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #293
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsreidy View Post
Dear Rel and all CHP officers,

I would like to let you know that there are NO PROBLEMS on Highway 1 in Marin County, on Panoramic Highway, Nicasio Valley Road, or Lucas Valley Ranch Road.

These areas are completely free of drivers who are going too slow for me. I, as a citizen who wants my tax dollars to be well-spent, ask that you focus your efforts completely on Highway 101 in Marin, pulling over people not yielding to faster traffic in the #1 lane.

Kthxbye
+2
What he said!

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #294
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo!Joe!!! View Post
Liar..! I was watching Fox News all weekend .....

And you still have a brain?

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #295
sksksks
/

Contributor

Motorcycles: gsxr1billion
Name:
Traffic laws are put in place for the dumbest and most retarded mahfukaz behind the wheel. If a bus can make a 25mph turn at the posted speed limit, I can make that same turn at 3 times the limit easily. But, the law is the law... what can we do but try to follow it?
sksksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #296
horsepower
WaterRider/Landsurfer

Flying Horse Contributor
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor++++!++++!++++!+ +++!++++!++++!++++! ++++!++++!++++!++++!+2%

Motorcycles: 2007Honda CBR 600rr 2010 KTM 690 2014 Grom
Name: Daniela
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello_Biafra View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where the feeling of entitlement comes from. The laws are the same for everyone, whether or not you choose to take a chance and break them is totally up to you.

How do you get entitlement from anything I have said in this thread about Media involvement in an arrest on a major holiday and the pressure of Leos to enforce law without discretion due to pressure or public perception?

Joe just went riding after work, in his back yard, as he always has. Joe's not whining about any of this. He's taking his licks and doing it with the same grace and class as he always does. When you read JP's posts on Barf, they are always positive, always focused on riding-track/street/motogp not casting stones on his fellow riders.

You must be a moto poster boy who has never faced a possible mistake of fact in law. Good for you. Hope you grow old with the same luck of the draw, because that's what it comes down to sometimes...pure f'ing luck.

Don't know about you and your family, but Being arrested for going on a holiday solo ride of which you may have done for longer than you have been alive, being then publicly flogged in the media and all the costs and time of impound, arraignment, lost wages, fines, insurance costs, and public record is not minor to a person of non-ascribed wealth. A multiple violation citation is relatively minor in the grand scheme. This is a MAJOR inconvenience that may stick for years. And based on what I have heard it was just another days ride I have done with dozens here.

Kyle, I KNOW this guy !!! He is like family to me. Frankly at this point I am disgusted that you are still throwing stones. I guarantee if you opened your local paper and read this about Ken Hill or Shawn Reilly- name plastered like a criminal, their families inconvenienced for doing what many do here daily or you get to do at the track all day long every damn week- and then the Barf wheels start to turn- you'd be both sad and a little pissed by the heavy handedness of it.:|

Geezus H. I literally hate this place sometimes.

Face it, insert "name you know here" and you wouldn't be looking down your nose and inserting your opinion. I know your answer to this is that Shawn and Ken are too smart not to ride street, blah blah.
Using the law is the law card as your mantra is exactly what others have done in history- minor or major, and it isn't always right, true or just.

Last edited by horsepower; 05-30-2012 at 08:55 PM..
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #297
}Dragon{
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Your Moms.
Name: Heywood J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Geezus H. I literally hate this place sometimes..
May I make another guess? Joe is lurking this thread and laughing his arse off.
See the lightning in your eyes, see ‘em running for their lives- The Offspring
| TMU Local 916 Pitmaster
\Oo) _\ _w_ /_ (oO/
}Dragon{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #298
Stormdragon
Still Good Lookin'

Contributor +++ artist and BB

Motorcycles: XT600, ZX636, KR250, RS90
Name: El Diablo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello_Biafra View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where the feeling of entitlement comes from. Do motorcycle dealerships hand it out when you buy a new Squid-RR?
It's usually bundled with the tool kit and owners manual. Did you not get yours?

Dirt, diesel, or deer. You've got to plan for the unexpected.

---Me
Stormdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #299
horsepower
WaterRider/Landsurfer

Flying Horse Contributor
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor++++!++++!++++!+ +++!++++!++++!++++! ++++!++++!++++!++++!+2%

Motorcycles: 2007Honda CBR 600rr 2010 KTM 690 2014 Grom
Name: Daniela
Quote:
Originally Posted by }Dragon{ View Post
May I make another guess? Joe is lurking this thread and laughing his arse off.
hahaha, probably.

I feel better already, thanks Ken.
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #300
crazyirv
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Z750s
Name:
It's the Prius' fault. Because when you're conditioned to recognize that a certain type of slowass car driven by a certain (douche-a-bag) type of driver who's trying to get a new mpg record and save $3.62 in gas over the week before-you do crazy shit like pass even when there's 4 cars in front of him. If there's one vehicle I seem to get stuck behind more than any other-it's a Prius. It's always a Prius!! Rant over.
crazyirv is offline   Reply With Quote