ID:	487244
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #79
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
For the love of God Merlin..... We r on a dirt biking trip not a petting zoo field trip. Less is more.

Notable quotes from the trip this far

"Merlin cleared it"

"He is big in Japan"

"I should just have stayed at home"

Sally the Purple Unicorn
"My relationship with CJ is purely physical, I have an emotional connection with Daniel. He smells like week old mozzarella"

"I'm felling winter in top, summer on the bottom, and contemplating socks"

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #80
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
The Badass MFers recruited Jackson and Lunch Box and rode out from the house to Steelbender.

I don't think there's a trail here without scenery.

Eric B below a minor obstacle.

Lunch Box after clearing a minor obstacle.

AntTwoWillDo descending an intimidating obstacle that turned out to be easier than it looked, like most.

Lunch Box on the same descent.

Another lousy view.

We gathered below a major obstacle, perhaps the hardest of all week, when Lunch Box threw himself at it. He did not succeed in clearing it on the first attempt.

Jackson wheelied up one of the ledges and didn't make it.

AntTwoWillDo walking back down after scouting and helping. The view did not suck.

And his run at it...

We crossed the creek for the last time and came to a dead end at some indian paintings.

Another trail exited to a reservoir and campground, where we got on the OHV corridor road back to the house. It was a good ride to end a great but tough week. Meanwhile, it seems the other group went to a petting zoo.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #81
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
After Hole in the Rock I hit up the McDonald's for a late lunch then head to Kane Creek Road which was right next to the McD. My next destination was to go to Jackson Hole which was in the same area as the Hurrah Pass and Chickens Corner. Except instead of going south to Chickens Corner I would go north to Jackson Hole and it kinda forms a lolipop track around some big hole. Here's the tracks for what really happened.

Parking lot map of the trails in Kane Creek

Here is my staging area at Kane Creek. Pretty much where the pavement ends. Same place we staged last time where I flew the quadcopter.

Deploy the quad! The first section is a sort of slab and gravel road down the canyon. I headed down the road then realized I forgot to fill up with gas. Glad I came back and filled up because I needed everydrop I could get. It's pretty fun and sketchy riding the quad down this road because I'm not used to riding a quad on a road at these speeds. I could actually feel the quad understeer because of the speeds I was going. I managed to get it to slide around a whole hairpin turn

Now I'm at the bottom of the canyon I can go fullspeed ahead for a bit hitting the quads max speed of about 55mph over the gravel.

Now here is where things take a change of plans. I run into norcalslowpoke and 1962siia88 who just got done riding down Kane Creek Canyon and are loading up their bikes in this staging area. Kane Creek is another trail in this area. They tell me that it would be good to ride my quad down there, there's some sections that are kinda ledgy. So I take off after chatting with them and well I decided that I might check it out on the way back.

Before I leave I kinda explore some little side trails that ultimately ended up at the many campground that are on Hurrah Pass. I thought it was kinda funny how this one campground had an outhouse.

So I decide I might as well just check Kane Creek out now so off I go. The trailhead is pretty much where the staging area where norcalslowpoke and 1962siia88 where at. So it's was easy to find.

Picture of Kane Creek Canyon

The trail in this area is a dirt roads with occasional slick rocks sticking out and rocks. Some sandy sections sometimes too.

Picture of the area I just came from

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-14-2016 at 10:23 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #82
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

So I've covered this much so far, not too bad, kinda bump on a quad but no problem.

So I see this kinda offshoot of the main trail with a lotta sand. Quads love sand so I decide to go play. Turns out that it leads you to Kane Creek. Ah ha that's why they call it Kane Creek Canyon Trail. You ride in the creek sorta. Anyway I say hey a creek bed this looks fun. I follow it for sometime. There's trees all along it and rocks and dirt. It gets really narrow also, pretty much like a 1.5 lane.

Eventually I get to this large clearing and what should I do here? DONUTS! Yeehaw can you tell someone did donuts here?

So here is a picture of the road ahead.

So continue on I follow the creek for awhile and I've kinda of passed the point of no return. Before there were little side roads that I could have taken to bailout of the creek and well I didn't so I continue on. It's getting really sketchy now. There are large branches in the way, boulders, and eventually I see water! When you mix water with dirt you get MUD! I actually see some fresh motorcycle tracks too must have been those two from before.

I start to get a little worried because this mud might be like quicksand or something. But I rip on through it. There were some really sketchy section with large boulders that was tough to get the quad over them. Here's the what the quad looks like after passing a fairly rocky section with mud.

Eventually there start to be water crossings, little ones. But the trail turned from riding through the creek to riding across the creek via these kinda of snaking trails. More of the same stuff. Rocks, dirt, sand, but now watercrossings. You could just splash through the creek if you wanted too also but I dont' like getting wet. But it's too late for that...

Riding though the canyon was still beautiful though.

Can you tell I've been riding through water? I forget how many watercrossing I did it was that numerous.

Sometimes there were these trails that went pretty much nowhere. I kinda got sick of the watercorssings and thought I can take these other trails to get away from the creek but no such luck. This one here just going in a circle.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #83
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Yep in that canyon

So eventually I get to what I think is the end of the Kane Creek Canyon Trail.

But well it's just a little sand play ground. So what do I do play! I was really curious to see what was at the top of this sandy climb. A decent view I suppose. The climbs were rutted up pretty badly by some 4x4s munching its way through here.

And well I got stuckk =P The quad is stuck in the rut at a 45 degree angle. Tried my best to get it up but it was a no go. I just dragged it back down the hill. It was a like a good 20ft climb.

So here is what I have covered from the Kane Creek Canyon trail so far.

Now it's getting late around 1700 and it's starting to get dark. So I decide even though the trail isn't finished yet I better turn around it's getting pretty boring the same thing over and over again. There were some fun banked sandy turns though great for drifting the quad. I check my GPS and I've gone about 15 miles so far from the staging area. i dont' really know the range of this quad so don't want to push it also. I was a little worried about going back in the dark but I had lights so it's not a big problem but I did tell norcalslowpoke that he should get worried if I didn't come back after dark. Of course I don't have signal in this canyon.

It turns out I was maybe like 4ish miles from the end of the trail which spits you out on the HWY 191. But doesn't matter I need to get back its getting dark.

So i turn around at about the 18 mile trip on my GPS.

I try to take the least wet way back but there's so many watercrossings I'm getting blasted by H20.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #84
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Now eventually I find a trail out of the creek. So this is actually the main trail that goes to the creek before the creek crossing bonanza. But I just bypassed it by riding in the creek. So I guess when it rains you probably don't want to be riding this trail.

Beautiful riding in this canyon

So I take this trail and norcalslowpoke told me there are a couple section that would be tough to get through on a quad and I guess he was referring to stuff like this. I got stuck here and had to move the quad over to get it up the right side here.

So I ride this trail and its like a dirt road with large rock slabs and ledges. Not so fun to ride in the quad. I had a difficult time getting over many of the ledges and getting stuck. Also I never mentioned it but the undercarriage of my quad is getting beaten up pretty bad due to these large rocks. Good thing I have a skid plate =)

Whew what a sigh of relief I'm pretty much almost bad to Hurrah Pass. I'm getting beaten up pretty bad on this trail.

Sunsetting in the Canyon might as well get one last picture before it gets too dark.

So I make it back to Hurrah Pass and Kane Creek Road. It's pretty much dark by the time I hit that road though and blast through that section in the dark being careful to watch for headlights.

Then I eventually make it back to the staging area. I load the Wall-E up, change out of my gear and head out of the canyon so i can report in to norcalslowpoke that I'm ok.

Stats for this ride hope you've enjoyed my Kane Creek Adventure It kinda sucks that I didn't get to ride Jackson Hole but still, not a bad day hit up Picture Frame Arch, Hole in the Rock, and Kane Canyon Trail all in one day. Threw some night riding in what a quadventure!

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-22-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #85
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Picture of the group that headed out to Steel Bender from the house.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #86
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Our last day of riding myself, oaklandf4i, norcalslowpoke, and 1962siia88 rode out to Gemini Bridges and rode Bull Canyon. It was an easy route, had some good climbs initially and very rocky bumpy. The rode is wide with the occasional embeded rocks and large rocks. Easy stuff for a moto to pick through and a little bumpy for a quad. We rode to Gemini Bridges which is famous for having 2 bridges/arches you can hike up to and walk on. Then we backtracked to Bull Canyon where you can see the bottom of the bridges. The road was much gnarlier than than Gemini Bridges road and eventually we turned around because it didn't seem to go anywhere. Funniest thing we couldn't find the bridges until we stopped for a break and after ten minutes look up and say "hey that looks like Gemini Bridges!" After we just head back to the staging at speed.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 12-16-2016 at 03:34 AM..
Old 10-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #87
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Sorry I post too many picture so here's I couple i took of that ride. I would say this would be a great dual sport ride, it might be a little challenging in some places but a dual sport should eat this right up.
Gemini Bridges\

We'll be heading down into that canyon after, it's called Bull Canyon

Bull Canyon pics

One of the tougher sections

So here we are taking a break and wondering where Gemini Bridges was and I turn to look and saw something that looked familiar.

I try to get a picture under it but the angle is good. No as impressive from the bottom =/

The road back norcalslowpoke tearin up in the distance

On the way back on the ridge is a good photospots

Last edited by HadesOmega; 12-16-2016 at 03:36 AM..
Old 10-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #88
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Trip Stats
Old 10-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #89
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Sorry I post too many picture...

No, no...you're good! Keep posting!

AppreciativeChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #90
sasquatch
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: one or another
Name:
Just imagine the stories, with pictures, that Merlin is going to be able to tell his kids, grand kids, and great grand kids.
Over and over again!!!

Great stuff Merlin!