BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #826
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Toyota Solid State battery powered vehicle next year!

https://electrek.co/2020/12/11/toyot...fast-charging/
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #827
BrammoBrian
Empulsive
 
BrammoBrian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Motorcycles: 2020 Lightfighter v2.0
Name: Brian
Lightfighter v2.0

Hey, all! Been lurking here for awhile, finally getting around to posting. I've set up a blog site to chronicle my adventures with our Lightfighter electric race bike and thought some here might find it interesting. I know HadesOmega has posted about the bike from our race at Laguna with version 1 of the bike. Rennie Scaysbrook recently rode the bike and posted his video review on YouTube. Check it out...


youtu.be/1Fyb7PFIJw0

Read more at my blog site here: https://www.lightfighter-racing.com/


Last edited by BrammoBrian; 12-12-2020 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Fixing broken Youtube video link.
BrammoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #828
sk8norcal
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: south san jose
Motorcycles: CRF250L
Name: Henry
how much does it weigh?
sk8norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #829
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Great to hear from you Brian was wondering what happened to the Lightfighter after the pandemic. It was great watching Troy pass all those gas bikes that day. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like those winglets so cool!

Some pictures I took of the Lightfighter at Laguna Seca:






Fixed the video link:

youtu.be/1Fyb7PFIJw0

I got to take the Empulse out to Buttonwillow recently and man it handles so good, it's a great track bike until the battery overheats and needs a charge. That track eats up the battery fast.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 12-12-2020 at 04:26 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #830
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Check this out guys what a charging nightmare Electrify America. But I'll tell you this I called Energica up and I guess they had my number already because they knew I was calling them and they were able to get the bike running again over the phone. If I had called Polaris up and told them hey my Empulse isn't working I don't think they'd be much help.


youtu.be/ksCrvh57gD8



youtu.be/YwzD-1Lv8uk


If you want to watch the whole adventure it's in this thread right here:
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/m...d.php?t=547458
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #831
BrammoBrian
Empulsive
 
BrammoBrian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Motorcycles: 2020 Lightfighter v2.0
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8norcal View Post
how much does it weigh?
Just under 400lbs.
BrammoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #832
BrammoBrian
Empulsive
 
BrammoBrian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Motorcycles: 2020 Lightfighter v2.0
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Great to hear from you Brian was wondering what happened to the Lightfighter after the pandemic. It was great watching Troy pass all those gas bikes that day. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like those winglets so cool!

I got to take the Empulse out to Buttonwillow recently and man it handles so good, it's a great track bike until the battery overheats and needs a charge. That track eats up the battery fast.
Thanks for posting the photos of version 1 of the bike at Laguna. Glad you like the wings. It's just a requirement for race bikes these days...

The Empulse was a nice handling bike with some great suspension and brake components. I last rode/raced an Empulse back in 2017 at Sonoma when I won the eMoto Supersport race there. My bike was a bit modified though...
BrammoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #833
Butch
poseur
 
Butch's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2014, 2017 and 2021
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
They have this site (edit, er, Lightfighter...)
https://www.lightfighter-racing.com/thebiketech
__________________
Butch
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 12-12-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #834
Butch
poseur
 
Butch's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2014, 2017 and 2021
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Oh, I got another Alta yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEB96125-9BE4-4495-B312-5D6AA1ACE7A4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	540086  
__________________
Butch
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #835
Butch
poseur
 
Butch's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2014, 2017 and 2021
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Electric Cannonball

“The rules were simple: Get to Vegas first from the starting point while riding your motorcycle. The route and charging stops are all up to you”

Morgan Vetter, local guy
https://www.electric.motorcycles/pos...63850017ffe4d6
__________________
Butch
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:05 AM   #836
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Yeah no thanks that would take all day on the Empulse.

How many Altas do you have Butch? This has got to be the 4th one?
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #837
BrammoBrian
Empulsive
 
BrammoBrian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Motorcycles: 2020 Lightfighter v2.0
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Great to hear from you Brian was wondering what happened to the Lightfighter after the pandemic. It was great watching Troy pass all those gas bikes that day. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like those winglets so cool!
If you'd like more of the backstory on the AHRMA Laguna Seca race, check out my blog post here: https://www.lightfighter-racing.com/...ersion-1-lfr19

BrammoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #838
Killroy1999
Veteran
 
Killroy1999's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Campbell, CA
Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Check this out guys what a charging nightmare Electrify America. But I'll tell you this I called Energica up and I guess they had my number already because they knew I was calling them and they were able to get the bike running again over the phone. If I had called Polaris up and told them hey my Empulse isn't working I don't think they'd be much help.


youtu.be/ksCrvh57gD8



youtu.be/YwzD-1Lv8uk


If you want to watch the whole adventure it's in this thread right here:
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/m...d.php?t=547458
Electrify America has a bad reputation for broken chargers, but months ago I heard on a podcast that they were trying to correct the problem. The CEO/president was saying that they have a hard time being compatible to every vehicle and need to find every EV to test charge - something like that.

Electrify America was created by the penance for VW's diesel emission scandal, but now they have to be self sustaining.


Yeah, CCS connectors are big and bulky. One thing that Tesla got right.

Last edited by Killroy1999; 12-13-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #839
HadesOmega
Veteran
 
HadesOmega's Avatar
 
Barfie Winner 2017

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
Electrify America has a bad reputation for broken chargers, but months ago I heard on a podcast that they were trying to correct the problem. The CEO/president was saying that they have a hard time being compatible to every vehicle and need to find every EV to test charge - something like that.

Electrify America was created by the penance for VW's diesel emission scandal, but now they have to be self sustaining.


Yeah, CCS connectors are big and bulky. One thing that Tesla got right.
I think it depends on the the output of the station. The 150kw one is HUGE! The 50kw one is like half the size. I'm not sure how fast the chargpoint one was but it was even smaller. I think it's dependent on how much output the cable has. The Energica only charges around 20kwh so it's kind of overkill to use a 150kw one, but hey when you gotta charge you gotta charge.

But yeah the Tesla supercharger connectors are small however the cable is pretty thick still. I think the superchargers were like 100kwh+, it's crazy how much power goes through it.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #840
mrzuzzo
Veteran
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Gatos Hills
Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
I think it depends on the the output of the station. The 150kw one is HUGE! The 50kw one is like half the size. I'm not sure how fast the chargpoint one was but it was even smaller. I think it's dependent on how much output the cable has. The Energica only charges around 20kwh so it's kind of overkill to use a 150kw one, but hey when you gotta charge you gotta charge.

But yeah the Tesla supercharger connectors are small however the cable is pretty thick still. I think the superchargers were like 100kwh+, it's crazy how much power goes through it.
The new 250kW Tesla superchargers actually have a pretty thin cable somehow.
mrzuzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.